Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 08:10 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer for a position in Lexington, MA (near Hanscom AFB). I am looking around for places to live, but apartments are quite expensive (or at least in my perspective). So, I will likely need to do a share. But the question is - where to live?

I am young (29) and single and want to live somewhere nearby to shopping, restaurants, pubs, and also a gym. Public transit will probably not be an issue as I will likely have to drive to work anyways. I would prefer not to live in Boston itself simply because it seems too far for me to commute (even if it's reverse commute - my friend did a Cambridge -> Newton reverse commute and said it was a nightmare). I saw nearby communities (Burlington, Woburn, Waltham, Arlington), but I wasn't sure which are good and safe.

Thanks for your input and for the help. I'll be returning to New England (hurray) and so I am excited but nervous as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Sounds as if you want something close to Lexington, but which still has some urban amenities, such as being able to walk to restaurants and basic shopping, as well as having a fair number of rental possibilities. Waltham in the vicinity of downtown (the north side is more suburban) and Arlington are the closest towns to Lexington which offer this.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
My wife worked near Hanscomb AFB for a while and most of her young, single coworkers lived in Cambridge. The reverse commute isn't nearly as bad as it would be to Newton because Lexington is much closer to Cambridge and has easy, direct routes. Arlington and Waltham are both good suggestions, but if you're young and single and looking for a place that's good for young, single people, Cambridge is your best bet.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I'd suggest living in Arlington. From there, it's a short distance to Cambridge and Somerville to enjoy a livelier nightlife.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My wife worked near Hanscomb AFB for a while and most of her young, single coworkers lived in Cambridge. The reverse commute isn't nearly as bad as it would be to Newton because Lexington is much closer to Cambridge and has easy, direct routes. Arlington and Waltham are both good suggestions, but if you're young and single and looking for a place that's good for young, single people, Cambridge is your best bet.
While I suggested Waltham and Arlington in my earlier post, this was because they are next door to Lexington. It's true that Cambridge would offer more in the way of city living. About twenty years ago I occasionally did a reverse commute from Cambridge which took me through Lexington via Mass. Ave. I don't know what route 2 was like, and have no idea what the Mass. Ave. commute would be like now, but at the time I used to do this it was very manageable. It may well be that it's still okay. JayRandom has it right that you have main routes directly connecting Cambridge and Lexington. This can't be compared to a reverse commute from Cambridge to Newton, because the drive to Newton would involve more travel across the city on local streets.

If you consider Cambridge, one neighborhood to check out is Porter Square. Also, just up the street is Davis Sq. in Somerville, a big young professionals area. Living near either Porter or Davis would put you on or near Mass. Ave., and also close to rt. 2, if that turned out to make a good reverse commute to your work.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
You don't mention where you are coming from or how much you want to spend. I have to think that by age 29 you don't really want to be sharing an apartment, however. There are plenty of decent 1 bedroom apartments available in Burlington and/or Woburn. Either of those towns would give you an easy commute to Hanscom and good accessibility to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You don't mention where you are coming from or how much you want to spend. I have to think that by age 29 you don't really want to be sharing an apartment, however. There are plenty of decent 1 bedroom apartments available in Burlington and/or Woburn. Either of those towns would give you an easy commute to Hanscom and good accessibility to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc.
No I don't really want to share, but I think I will have to for cost purposes. Currently I live in Atlanta, GA, and doing cost of living comparisons, it looks like it is 40-45% more to live in west metro Boston than it does here in Atlanta. I did a search for 1-bed apartments, and it looks like they range from $1000 - 1300 for rent (many with heat included, some without). That to me is quite a bit (midtown Atlanta apartments have those rates but many for 2-bedrooms, particularly for the $1300 range). So, I think the share part is going to be needs, at least for me to save up money to stay out on my own.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been to Burlington many times (Lahey Clinic), so I am familiar with the mall area. Plus, my good college friend lived in Somerville and Cambridge, so I know about those neighborhoods too. But other than that, I have not been to Arlington, Lexington, or Concord.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'd suggest living in Arlington. From there, it's a short distance to Cambridge and Somerville to enjoy a livelier nightlife.
+1 on Arlington. Ease of shopping and dining on Mass Ave. and a short commute to Hanscom. Also, you're in close proximity to Cambridge and Boston for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts