Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 AM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times

Advertisements

Cabs- check out the calendar here:

Salem Massachusetts Calendar of Events

or

Salem Haunted Happenings

Marblehead is the next town over- look at a map- you can easily see it is a great coastal community. Has a very European feel in the downtown area with some great shops and restaurants. Much more defined and upscale from Salem. You might consider going out to eat there one night...

Last edited by NY'er lost in MA; 07-09-2007 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: added additional link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 AM

69 posts, read 292,329 times
The dates you will be going to Salem will not be on Halloween night so you will miss the main show and the large crowds. There will be other tourists coming in ,as they do during the whole month of October, and some of the "happenings' will be available to you but you will not see all the costumes and craziness that happens on Halloween night. You have to be there on that night to see it. It really is just a crowd(1000s) of people walking around but the costumes are the main event, unusual, bizarre and very creative. There are haunted houses set up through the city that are kind of fun to go through to get in the spirit, there is the witch museum across the street from the Hawthorne Hotel which will give you a bit of history of the witch trials and the witch house which is on Essex Street, You could do a haunted walking tour at night. If museums are your thing, visit the Peabody Essex museum in the mall area of Salem. Pickering Wharf has some happening restaurants, busy, crowded with young professionals, may have music at night. You can walk there from the hotel. the restaurant across from the hotel called the Old Spot has some decent food and the hotel has a cute bar/lounge where people come in for coffee, drinks and light meals. I would suggest grabbing a tour to get your bearings and learn a bit about the history of the area. Marblehead is a very beautiful seaside town next to Salem but you will need a car to get there and around town. There are great stores and shops, the downtown "old town" area is very charming with winding streets, antique homes and beautiful views on the water from the parks, and public wharf area. You may be able to get a bus from Salem into Marblehead but will need to walk around town from the drop off point in order to see the best parts of Marblehead. Have fun.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM

85 posts, read 308,269 times
How far from the Hawthorne Hotel is the Museum Place Mall?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,379 times
Ahh I am sorry I didn't catch you were not going to be there for Halloween night, so as others have said it won't be as crowded. There are lots of shops, restaurants and bars all within walking distance of the Hawthorne, and you can always pick up maps from the hotel front desk. Most hotels in Salem have printed up fliers with some of the popular spots with directions for visitors.

I would just do some searches on events in Salem, I found tons of stuff that way and just plan our visits out from there. Have fun!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM

69 posts, read 292,329 times
Peabody Essex museum is about 2 blocks from Hawthorne Hotel.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 AM

49 posts, read 159,716 times
The Hawthorne Hotel is close to almost everything. I stayed there a few weeks ago. It is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are strange though. We got a double and the bathroom (only a toilet) seperated the rooms. The shower was in what looked like a closet by itself. Other than that it was beautiful. We walked everywhere and seen most of the attractions in the area. Very walkable area.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM

280 posts, read 1,222,129 times
Default I Love Salem at Holloween

I know the traffic is horrific in Salem for Holloween, the first year I went there I couldnt get a room in Salem, so we stayed in Revere, took a cab to Salem, it took us 45 minutes to get there, we got out and walked. But for the next 6yrs I went, I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel, you dont want to walk the halls by yourself at night, doors close by them selfes, we were all looking for the romote one time, couldnt find it, the tv went out, we seen remote over on a table no-one was near. we had a blast there! if your room is on the street side, u can just stare out the windows and watch all the weirdo's. We would go barhopping, hang in the streets getting wasted. If you like that type of thing, you will enjoy Salem on Holloween, you just got to know how to have fun!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM

84 posts, read 371,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs1982 View Post
Well, I talked it over with my sis and she's set on going, so I guess we're still on -- just hope it's a good time. We're going Oct. 21-24.
We are bringing our son from the 23-27 I am sure it is going to be crowded but we are looking forward to this!! Anywhere is better than TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts