Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 33,572 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is planning a vacation to Cape Cod. My other family members are staying in the Harwich area, so we would like to stay as close as possible.

I have been researching vacation rental homes in the mid-cape and lower cape areas. Some of the locations have included Brewster, Chatham, Harwich (and all the Harwichs, as there is East, West, etc), Dennis (and all the Dennis' including Dennisport), and Yarmouth.

We are looking for a location that is safe, clean, and not run down (i.e. nicer homes that are pretty consistant in that area). If you check out a vacation rental site, and the pictures of the property look really nice, there is no way to know if the house next to it is a dump, or if the area is pretty run down.

Can anyone let me know if any or all of these areas are about equal for these factors?

[Also, I sent Private Messages to a few people with the same question, but my Private Message feature was turned off by the Administrator of the site, claiming it to be spam. So if you emailed me a private message, please post it here to this site instead, so I (and others) can read it. Thank you. ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Can't provide you any specific info, but have you been checking out

http://www.townonline.com/brewster/

Many of the small, local newspapers and online venues offer some great suggestions, and ideas of what is happening in any given town.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the Cape!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSilver View Post
Hello, my family is planning a vacation to Cape Cod. My other family members are staying in the Harwich area, so we would like to stay as close as possible.

I have been researching vacation rental homes in the mid-cape and lower cape areas. Some of the locations have included Brewster, Chatham, Harwich (and all the Harwichs, as there is East, West, etc), Dennis (and all the Dennis' including Dennisport), and Yarmouth.

We are looking for a location that is safe, clean, and not run down (i.e. nicer homes that are pretty consistant in that area). If you check out a vacation rental site, and the pictures of the property look really nice, there is no way to know if the house next to it is a dump, or if the area is pretty run down.

Can anyone let me know if any or all of these areas are about equal for these factors?

[Also, I sent Private Messages to a few people with the same question, but my Private Message feature was turned off by the Administrator of the site, claiming it to be spam. So if you emailed me a private message, please post it here to this site instead, so I (and others) can read it. Thank you. ]
like when are you coming, and do you want the beach. will you rent a cottage or stay in a hotel. beaches yarmouth, has good beaches, it is 15 to 20 minutes to harwich. west dennis beach is great, right next to harwich.
hyannis, no-check out the cape cod times the best beaches west dennis and yarmouth bass river. check with a real estate agent. also cape cod does not warm up the water til after july 4th, then in august after the 15th the days get dark earlier, however, i always liked august for the vacation. the 2nd and third week. Frankly the beach, and if it rains to treck into hyannis yarmouth would be best. to do beaches you need to pay or get a beach sticker. Nantucket is also a neat place to visit.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-22-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:

like when are you coming, and do you want the beach. will you rent a cottage or stay in a hotel. beaches yarmouth, has good beaches, it is 15 to 20 minutes to harwich. west dennis beach is great, right next to harwich.
hyannis, no-check out the cape cod times. not everyone rents out their home. most are just a cottage. for quality if you can afford it and want beachfront check out condos for rent on the water. also the new seabury area is real nice, however further from harwich, and closer to boston for a rainy day, if you have not seen bean town. very upscale. maybe 35-40 to harwich, not too bad. you could do boston and the red sox? boston is neat!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 33,572 times
We are coming Aug 18-25, for one week. We are going to book a vacation home and we will (of course) have a car, so we can get around to any beach in the area. I just wanted to know if all neighborhoods are equally nice (clean, not run down). Since we can book a home in any city or town, and want to be close enough to Harwich, where all our other family members are staying, we are just trying to figure out the right neck of the woods. Thanks all!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
We are coming Aug 18-25, for one week. We are going to book a vacation home and we will (of course) have a car, so we can get around to any beach in the area. I just wanted to know if all neighborhoods are equally nice (clean, not run down). Since we can book a home in any city or town, and want to be close enough to Harwich, where all our other family members are staying, we are just trying to figure out the right neck of the woods. Thanks all!
some places want you to rent for at least 2 weeks. even cragville beach is nice, however i like the dennis and yarmouth beaches best.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 98,483 times
Chatham is the nicest place on the Cape, if you can afford it

Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 PM

10 posts, read 59,531 times
Chatham is gorgeous and worth the money. Harwich and Brewster are also nice, but Chatham has charm to it the others lack. Also, the zoning in Chatham is such that it almost guarantees that the house next to you will NOT be a dump. Our family had a 2nd home on Cape Cod for 10 years in Brewster at the Ocean Edge golf resort, which is also nice.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 15,652 times
Default We live on the cape and walk the beaches every day.

Hi, you chose a great place to enjoy your vacation. The beaches at Dennis are unlike anything you have every seen. When the tide rolls out, the beach becomes so wide that you feel like you are walking part of the way to Boston, via water. Chatham is gorgeous and one of the most beautiful places on the Cape. As a matter of fact, they just finished shooting a film on the Cape with David Carradine and Mariel Hemingway. I believe the actors stayed in Chatham hotels.

Anyway, Craigsville beach is one of the most popular mid-cape, southern beaches. A good point of staying in the mid-cape area, is the proximity to amenities such as shopping and restaurants. If you want quiet, stay away from Hyannis and the surrounding towns.

Here is a link to what we consider the most honest rental management person on the Cape... http://www.capecodusarealestate.com/ ,her name is Carol. Tell her "Doc recommended her". She helped my wife and I find our home, led us to every top restaurant in the area, and helped us avoid the pitfalls of the average tourist.

Good Luck, DrPAS

Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 91,502 times
My family has had a cottage in Harwich for many years, so I know the area well. If you are most focused on avoiding a rental house in a dumpy neighborhood, then really the only places you have to be careful about are Yarmouth (at least near the south beaches) and West Dennis (again, primarily on the south side), where there are a few seaside cottage developments that are popular with the college crowd, and are thus pretty junky. The south side water is warmer, but the flip side is that it is by far more built up than the charming areas along Rt 6A on the north side of the cape. There should still be plenty of choices for nice vacation homes in Yarmouth and W Dennis, but I think Harwich and Chatham are more consistently nice, and both have some great beaches on the warmer Nantucket sound. If you don't mind being further from the Nantucket Sound beaches, then you really can't go wrong with Brewster/Chatham and the parts of Dennis along 6A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts