Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM

34 posts, read 71,878 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving from CA to CT in a few months. I have a job in Colchester and my husband will be looking for work - and will likely have the best luck in the Boston Area. Since Colchester is kind of in the middle of nowhere, I think most places will be an o.k. commute for me - maybe a little long, but I'm thinking traffic won't be too bad.

I was thinking Providence, RI area might be a good spot - I can commute all the way down Rt 6 and he can take the Amtrak or T into Boston.

Or, somehwere south of Worcester, MA (have no idea about the towns in this area - and he can take the T in and I can commute down 395.

I am fine to be in the car for a little over an hour - my job is flexible and the days are short - so even if I have over an hour commute - I'll still be away from home for a total of 10 hours. Not too bad. I'm more concerned about how he is going to get into Boston - he's fine to be on the train for up to an hour, but probably not much more than that. I see the Amtrak goes from Providence to Boston in 40 minutes... faster than I thought!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
I would stick to some of the nice towns south of Worcester. Route 6 is not a fun drive from providence at all. and to colchester? noooo thank you.

395 is a breeze, stick with that. Plus commuter rail stops in Worcester, Grafton, Westborough ect.

oxford, milbury, grafton area

Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM

34 posts, read 71,878 times
Thanks for the response - Hmm... I'm actually surprised to hear that those towns south of Worcester would be a better choice. I'll look into it some more.

From providence it would be Rt 6 for about 25 miles until it hits 395. I guess it would be slower but the train from Providence to Boston is 40 minutes rather than over an hour from Worcester. I was hoping we could find a place that is walking distance from the amtrak and he could just walk there...

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
If you live in a loft in downtown Providence he could walk to the Amtrak.
Like these: http://www.westminsterlofts.com/wilkinson.html

To drive from Prov to Colchester would take you about an hour.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM

160 posts, read 571,849 times
I live in Grafton. It has a commuter rail stop in the town (one hour train ride) and not many options for walking to the train. Honestly, depending on where you live in the town and depending on how far you have to walk downtown from the train to work, it can take an hour and 30/40 minutes. It is about a 20 - 25 minute drive to 395 from Grafton. Westborough is a little closer to Boston and further from 395 but has really top rated schools (just made 18th in the state!).

Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Anywhere along the Mass Pike corridor between Sturbridge and Grafton would be good. Nice small towns with good school systems.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,819 times
I commute from south of Boston to Groton, CT every day. When you move, locals will be appalled that you willingly drive 75 minutes one way... it makes for a few amusing conversations... lol.

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on living in Providence. I worked there for a year, and I can't really say I was overly impressed. Also, living in RI, and working in CT and MA will mean you are paying taxes to THREE states every year. If you live in MA, you will at least only be paying 2 state taxes. if you have kids, or plan to buy - RI schools, and Providence especially, aren't that great, and can't compare to the majority of MA schools.

Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:01 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
You're right- downtown Prov is not a recommendation if you have kids. It is- if you want sophistication, beautiful architecture, restaurants, a shopping mall you can walk to, the river walk, and some very impressive newly renovated living accommodations. If you haven't been to Prov within the last few years, you haven't seen it.

I am assuming the OP wants more a more urban location since she describes Colchester as being in the middle of nowhere but she needs to come back with more specifics about lifestyle preferences and also do everything possible to ensure that they won't both actually end up commuting upwards of an hour!!

Just thinking of that makes me tired- especially in snow or ice!!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
A lot could depend on where OP's husband ends up working. Taking Amtrak into South Station is well and good, but if his job is inconvenient to South Station, or in Cambridge, the parts not close to the Red Line, etc.
Getting to a job without a car really depends on what part of the city or metro area the job is. A lot of jobs are in the suburban towns or frankly on Route 128.
A agree that rehabbed Providence is a very nice area, although quite small. But I don't think it would be a great place to triangulate all this commuting. What does OP husband's do for a living? That could say a lot about where his likely work is.
Of course, rent first, and foremost. Best wishes.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,172 times
Default Did you resolve where to live?

Hi,

We too are thinking of Worcester and nearby towns (renting for now). I work in Groton, CT and my wife works in Wakefield, MA. We don't have any kids yet.

I am encouraged to see that there are others who are doing similar commutes.

Any ideas on the daily commute from Worcester to Groton (I-395, ~80 miles)? I have heard that 395 is relatively faster than 95 (through RI). I would like to know tips (esply. in the winter) on how you do it every day and what's the average commute times.

Anyone doing from Worcester to Wakefield (Mass Pike and 95 N, ~55 miles)? Is the Mass pike/95 intersection bad in the morning rush hour? Are there any alternative routes to reach Wakefield, MA from towns south of Boston? Wakefield is not well connected by MBTA from the south.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts