Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 73,404 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Does anyone have an opinion on the propane vs. oil heat debate? I am building a new home in Charlton, MA and the baseline price includes an oil burning furnace with forced hot water bb heat. Originally, I was going to prop a propane tank outside for cooking, but am now considering burying a 500 gallon propane tank and using it to cook and heat the house. Propane burns more efficiently and is therefore a cleaner fuel, but am wavering because of prices. Oil has been cheaper than propane in the past, but is skyrocketing now. The home will be 2208 sq. feet with 3 heat zones. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
It's definitely a roll of the dice.

On average, for the past 20+ years oil has been cheaper than natural gas or propane. In the past 2 or 3 years we are seeing a shifting where natural gas is the cheapest heating source and oil and propane are about equal.

Propane is not a more efficient fuel, however.
1 gallon of propane will generate 91,600 BTUs
1 gallon of heating oil will generate 138,000 BTUs
The difference is that the propane fired burner will typically operate at a higher rate of efficiency than the oil burner so that tends to net out the greater heat capacity of oil.

There was a propane shortage in the Northeast earlier in the winter due to a closed terminal in Selkirk, NY, so prices increased. That problem has been alleviated now so prices have moderated.

If I were building today I would probably go with propane.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM

158 posts, read 371,356 times
That's a tough choice. I don't know which way I'd go. Natgas is not in the area I take it? I've heated with oil but last year the natgas company put a half mile extension line in the ground to the area I live and I'm making that conversion.

Whatever you choose, any thought on an alternative back-up like pellets or wood?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
I'd look into Hydro-Air systems.

I also second the idea about an alternative fuel heating source (pellets). If you have an open floor-plan get a stove for the 1st floor and you can zone off the rest and barely use the furnace in shoulder seasons...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
I've never had Propane for heat, but had it for cooking / drying and it defenitly doesn't pack the punch that natgas does. The plus is it only had to be filled 3 times a year. But took an extra 45min to dry clothes vs natgas (same dryer).

Old 04-09-2011, 07:03 AM

40 posts, read 114,757 times
Oil doesn't explode

Seriously, I am so paranoid about the stuff. Got a new propane furnace installed.

Valve in the furnace was defective, took a week to figure out that leak, and this is a new Trane furnace.

2 months later smell propane in the basement, have a leak in one of the joints.

Had an oil furnace for 20 years no problems.

Want to build a house, now I am not so sure about gas/propane the next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts