Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times

Advertisements

Valley Hill Drive, off Salisbury St. on the West Side of Worcester.

If you know the street:

1. Anything good to say about it?
2. Anything bad to say about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM

194 posts, read 408,753 times
Easily one of the nicer sections of Worcester. Good residential area, with easy access to downtown or the highways.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 AM

88 posts, read 233,756 times
Really really nice part of town. Traditionally most of your city councilors are from this area, and they take care of their own first, so things like crime and any general unsightliness are a non issue.

I would disagree on the easy access to the highway. Yes highway entrances are less than a mile away, but during rush hour both Salisbury and Highland streets can be a nightmare with all the folks trying to get to 290 from the West Side. Chandler, Highland and Salisbury Streets get real crazy. Just know that you are not as close to the highway time wise as a map might suggest.

There isn't a whole lot of walkability but you are close Park Ave, The Greendale Mall, and the center of Holden, which has some pretty good restaurants. Overall a really good part of town. The West Side as a rule has more of a suburban feel than a city feel but those folks over there take their part of the city pretty serious and it will always stay nice.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM

13 posts, read 30,495 times
Don't know about that specific street, but I used to live on the "desirable West Side" of Worcester (two different apartments, two different streets)...I would check before moving to see how many single family vs. multi-family houses, how close it is to busy side streets, and visit the area at various times of the day if possible.

I had issues in my first West Side three-decker apartment with bad parking in winter and bad neighbors (in spite of it being owner-occupied)...the final straw was when drug dealers moved in the building...point being, even the "desirable West Side," like any neighborhood, can have undesirable elements.

My next apartment was in a generally quiet West Side neighborhood. My two problems there weren't as bad by far:I got a lot of traffic noise from Pleasant Street (I was near Newton Square) and I had some loud neighbors who the police finally visited after about 10 different calls on as many occasions (meaning, just because you are on that side of town, don't think the police will rush to you any faster...).

Aside from that, the West Side was a good location for me: close to downtown, but far enough away. Park Ave. to 290 can be very congested, and looks short on paper, but can take a while to navigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts