Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM

88 posts, read 205,580 times

Advertisements

Use craigslist! You might find something good, but also good apartment complex/landlords and realtor companies. One that I kept seeing with nice-looking places turned out to have absolutely horrible reviews by many independent tenants - I am so glad I found that out!

Also check out Easthampton. It's an easy commute to Noho (5 mins) and you're $$ will go MUCH MUCH further. They really jack up the prices downtown for the students!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM

24 posts, read 39,951 times
Phoebe,

Thanks for the info. We have been doing our research as you suggested. I am going to be in Northampton after Labor Day and I am hoping that we can find a suitable place. Talking to tenants or just asking people about a place can be very valuable as you found out. We have never been to Easthampton but from what I have seen on Youtube, etc. does not seem to be that nice/vibrant community... do you agree? We really like the idea of being able to walk or bike to downtown Northampton all year round. Even a five minute drive during winter can be a pain...... then again we do have to consider the $$$$ involved. I will have a more realistic perspective during the week or so that I will be spending in Northampton.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM

88 posts, read 205,580 times
I would say your best bet is to go to the area, stay a few stays and drive around. Once your there you will see what you like and what you don't - as well as distances. Do some google-map street drive arounds too ... those ones are gas-free too!

Honestly, don't get hung up on being SO close to downtown. I live in Hadley and it's a 15 minute bike ride across the river to the center of Northampton (and I'm even near the border). Since these are town (or very small cities), the borders seem much more arbitrary in real life. Downtown Northampton is small enough that after a month or two I think you'll be wanting more ... you might wish you had a bit more land in Sunderland, less taxes in Florence, or an easier commute to the various campuses in Amherst. The whole feel of the Pioneer Valley is very tight-knit, the distinctions among these places are minimal enough that you should consider all of the communities in your search.

I'm sure you'll find something this time of the year, but the best time to look if you are dead-set on something downtown is the springtime. The Smith students tend to get the best places at that time.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Phoebe,

Very sound advice, thank you. I am coming for at least a week on Sept. 8th.... so I will have a better perspective on where to live.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Rail Trail from Easthampton, shorter paved Bikeway trail from Florence.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 AM

Woof,

Thanks for the info. Are these bike trails open during winter?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 AM

325 posts, read 925,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capamando View Post
Woof,

Thanks for the info. Are these bike trails open during winter?
They are open, but not always passable, except by walking. Some are plowed (llike the Northampton bikeway - kids use for school) some are not. They are also a lower priority for plowing than streets, so it might not be ready when you need it. I don't think they sand or salt them, so they can be icy.

Personally, I like to walk to work in the winter on the bike path right after a freshly fallen snow - it's so quiet and beautiful.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Wmass,

You painted a nice picture.... one more reason why we would really like to be within walking distance to downtown Northampton. We would love to leave our Toyota Echo at home during the winter as much as possible.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM

325 posts, read 925,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capamando View Post
Wmass,

You painted a nice picture.... one more reason why we would really like to be within walking distance to downtown Northampton. We would love to leave our Toyota Echo at home during the winter as much as possible.
Yes, I am just getting ready to hop on my bike for my evening commute - bike paths all the way home. I can't imagine sitting in traffic on a highway everyday, driving to some faceless suburb. ick.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 AM

wmass,

Do you live in Florence? Besides Craig's List and realtors, is there a place in Northampton that people place ads for rentals etc... We would also consider a sublet if they would accept our three neutered indoor cats..... we will see when I get there on the 8th of sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts