Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,194 times

Advertisements

So its been decided we will be moving to the east coast with in the year and would really like to touch base with the locals in the Cape area. This is our ideal location and just want to talk to people and get to know the area any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,804,424 times
Cape Cod is a pretty large hunk of land. You might want to narrow down the areas of the Cape you are most interested in so that posters could better assist you.

Rich

Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM

925 posts, read 2,746,582 times
It would probably be helpful for folks to know what you're looking for in a community, where you'll be commuting to, and whether you'll have children in the schools. That way they can make better recommendations for you.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM

332 posts, read 1,019,988 times
for me the further out you go, the more i like it. Orleans, eastham, wellfleet, truro, p town are all towns i like.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,379,309 times
The Cape has much to offer as a year round residence but you need to ask yourself what you're looking for. Tranquility? Then maybe further out. Access to the bridges and Boston? Then maybe Mashpee or Sandwich. There's something here for everyone. I love it.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,559,092 times
I love the Cape, it is very pretty there. I don't live there but have visited many times when I lived in MA and since. You have to remember it can get very crowded with tourists in the summer.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 AM

1,038 posts, read 4,002,500 times
Lots of us locals in this forum from all over the Cape and we love to help. But more information is definitely necessary. Are you planning on buying a house? What's your approximate price range. School systems/extracurriculars? Social life? What are you looking for in a town?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,194 times
Thank you everyone so far, here I will list what we are looking for as a family and see what advise you have.

1. looking for a tranquil place to live small town feel but close to outdoor activities, we love festivals or fairs.
2. we have small children our youngest is 3 in nov and our son is 5 in oct he currently attends preschool, we also have an older daughter who we have part time so school is not a consideration yet.
3. commuting is not an issue at this time I work from home in most cases.
4. looking to rent at first and once we settle in will look at purchasing don't want anything fancy 3 bedrooms is really the only qualification. when we purchase most likely looking around 200k
5. the wife does like to play bingo lol so yeah that's about it

really kind looking for a way to get to know people before hand as well we are also considering an off season trip

Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM

925 posts, read 2,746,582 times
I have friends who selected Sandwich for the public schools & great town center & things to do. In addition to beaches, there's the Cape Cod Rail Trail, great hiking trails, free concerts, local festivals, etc. My folks bought a place not far from there as well & really liked their agent. If you'd like a recommendation for down the road, or who can help you find a rental, please feel free to private message me.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famlymn View Post
Thank you everyone so far, here I will list what we are looking for as a family and see what advise you have...
As I'm in Wellfleet that's the town I know best. With that disclaimer in place;

>>>1. looking for a tranquil place to live small town feel but close to outdoor activities, we love festivals or fairs.

The Outer Cape is fine. The major part of its land mass is under the control of the government (National Park Service). It will never (yes, I know that never is a very long time...) change. Wellfleet (66% land is federally owned) has a nice town center. The beaches are to die for. Same for all the other Outer Cape towns. Provincetown (90% of the town is federal park) can get a bit crazy in the summer and their school system has issues (not many school age children).

>>>2. we have small children our youngest is 3 in nov and our son is 5 in oct he currently attends preschool, we also have an older daughter who we have part time so school is not a consideration yet.

I have a great deal of respect for the Wellfleet elementary school. It rivals the quality of a private school. Middle school is in Orleans and High School in Eastham.

>>>3. commuting is not an issue at this time I work from home in most cases.

OK.

>>>4. looking to rent at first and once we settle in will look at purchasing don't want anything fancy 3 bedrooms is really the only qualification. when we purchase most likely looking around 200k

Sorry, I doubt you will find a three bedroom home in Wellfleet for 200K. Provincetown and, I believe Truro, are also pricey. Eastham (just south of Wellfleet) might be a bit less, but I'm not at all sure 200K would work out there either. Try Harwich or Brewster if home cost would be a make or break issue.

>>>5. the wife does like to play bingo lol so yeah that's about it

Sorry, can't help you with the bingo!

Best of luck,

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts