Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 978 times

Advertisements

We arriving in Boston 24th October staying 2 days and hiring car (hubby wants to drive) can anyone recommend anywhere we should try. Have heard Cape Cod / Martha's Vineyard nice this time of year can you drive there. We're looking at staying in B&BS or small inns any suggestions welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
So much to do this time of year. Even staying near Boston out on Route 2 would be terrific. I live on the Cape so I will suggest what I know well. October is glorious on the Cape and Islands. Honestly for just 2 days I would skip the Vineyard. More travel time than it would be worth. I live in Sandwich which is the upper Cape. In the village are a number of inns that are lovely. Shops to walk to, the boardwalk to enjoy an an easy ride to many places that you might enjoy seeing- both down Cape and north such as Plymouth. If you are an outdoors person it's a great place as you can rent kayaks or even do a tour and there are lots of walking trails. There should still be some cranberry harvesting going on which is beyond description. At one time you could call Ocean Spray and ask where harvesting is happening and they would oblige. I am not sure if that is still the case. I love Chatham as well,which is further down Cape but very quaint. I love to go to the fish pier and watch the seals wait for a snack from the fishermen. We did a harbor tour this year which was very informative.
Sandwich, MA Visitors Service Board - Cape Cod Vacation Business Directory
Sandwich Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce | Sandwich, MA | Visitor and Tourist Sites | Sandwich Chamber

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

325 posts, read 925,445 times
You sound British.

It appears you don't want to tour Boston (probably would be easier without a car) and instead venture out. You have a few options, depending which direction you choose.

South toward the Cape, as the previous post. You can take a car to the Vineyard, but most people leave their cars on the mainland. I agree that with only two days, you can get a similar experience on the Cape. I sometimes feel "trapped" on the islands.

North toward Salem, Rockport, Newburyport- even Porstmouth, NH. Salem will be a very busy place this time of year (Halloween festivities)

West to the Berkshires. The are lots of B&Bs/Inns here. Stockbridge, Norman Rockwell Museum, Bash Bish Falls, Great Barrington. Howvere, I think fall foliage will be past-peak color. Stop in Northampton along the way for lunch or dinner and a stroll along Main Street.

Last edited by wmass; 09-28-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts