Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,769 times

Advertisements

I think hands down the best large college is the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.

I think the best smaller college is Westfield State University. I am somewhat biased on this one since I attended Framingham State and then graduated from Westfield.

UMass in Amherst really should be considered one of the top ten universities in the country given that you can attend classes at any of the five colleges: Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Students from each campus may take classes at the other campuses without additional charge. So you can attend UMass, but take classes at some of the best private schools in the country with some famous professors.

Check out Five Colleges, Incorporated: Home (http://www.fivecolleges.edu/index.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
I think hands down the best large college is the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.

I think the best smaller college is Westfield State University.

UMass in Amherst really should be considered one of the top ten public universities in the country given that you can attend classes at any of the five colleges: Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
I agree re: UMass. Not so sure about Westfield (I don't disagree, I just don't know enough to decide one way or another).

I added (in bold) a slight change to the other part of your post. I think you could make a case for UMass in here, but there's some stiff competition. UC Berkeley, UCLA, UNC, UVA, Maryland, Texas A&M, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Purdue, Temple, etc. would all give it a good run for its money.

I would also put UMass Dartmouth in there as one of the top state colleges in MA. It's not tiny, and it has some excellent programs (particularly Engineering) and a brand new law school.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts