Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,488 times

Advertisements

My landlord informed me today that he will be converting my townhouse from oil to gas heat. I have no idea about how that will affect me. My hot water is controlled my the oil heat, will it now be controlled by gas? How much will this affect me costwise, since I am responsible for heat bills? What happens when it is installed, do I call. The gas company, they turn the gas on and then bill me from there? I currently only use my oil for hot water, not heat because its too outrageously expensive
I use electric heaters to heat since I don't have to pay electricity.
Oh yes I have a 2 floor 3 bedroom townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Wouldn't you continue to use those space heaters since you don't pay electric. Gas is supposed to be cheaper than oil, so whatever your cost was SHOULD be lower afterwards.

Ask your LL about your situation... We don't know if he put in separate meters, etc. There's a chance he is realizing how high his electric bill is due to people using that for heating and would rather pay for gas to reduce cost.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,966 times
Point blank, gas is high! My house is gas heat and I had the tanks picked up and have been heating 1800 sq ft with space heaters for the past two winters. It does make a difference as of what heater you use. Some space heaters are useless. The ones I use are by Lasko and are temp controlled. It actually makes zone heating very easy. Propain fluctuates as bad as gasoline and it spikes just like gasoline too. If your electric is free, I would not even consider heating with gas. If your land lord changes to the hot water heater and other things you may not have a choice but to have a gas bill, but you still could use the space heaters. I did a reply recently on space heaters with the ones I recommend, just search, "space heater".

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
The OP is getting switched to natural gas not propane. I have nat gas and use it for heat,cooking and hot water and my bill in the winter is around 130 a month and drops to around 45 in the warmer months.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
The OP is getting switched to natural gas not propane. I have nat gas and use it for heat,cooking and hot water and my bill in the winter is around 130 a month and drops to around 45 in the warmer months.
Well, there ya have it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Are you single? Eat out? Travel a lot? We had National Grid just for hot water and cooking and we could never keep it below $150 and it was usually above $200. In Michigan, we had it for all three like you and our bills easily topped $400 in the winter (new tankless water heater, new furnace, new Jenn Air cooktop).

Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 AM

121 posts, read 412,365 times
I have Columbia Natural Gas - just moved here but the previous owner's budget plan was $75 a month year round. I got off the budget plan for the first year to see - as total usage might be below $900/yr for me. It it heat and hot water only. Cooking and the dryer are electric.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,488 times
Oh yeah, my stove and washer / dryer are electric. So I would only be using it for hot water and maybe heat.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukyelle View Post
I have Columbia Natural Gas - just moved here but the previous owner's budget plan was $75 a month year round. I got off the budget plan for the first year to see - as total usage might be below $900/yr for me. It it heat and hot water only. Cooking and the dryer are electric.
I'll be curious to know what your usage ends up being. We're thinking of switching over from oil to gas-only-for-heating-and-hot-water.

I just spent most of this past week in a very cold house with no hot water because I was scraping the bottom of the oil tank. I received a partial fill-up yesterday -- a little over 1/4th, maybe? The price on the delivery receipt is close to $400

(I realize I shouldn't be shocked at this as a native New Englander. But I am.)

Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I'll be curious to know what your usage ends up being. We're thinking of switching over from oil to gas-only-for-heating-and-hot-water.

I just spent most of this past week in a very cold house with no hot water because I was scraping the bottom of the oil tank. I received a partial fill-up yesterday -- a little over 1/4th, maybe? The price on the delivery receipt is close to $400

(I realize I shouldn't be shocked at this as a native New Englander. But I am.)
Assuming that you have a 250 gallon tank, you received around 70 gallons. If you paid $400, you need to find a new oil supplier. You're paying over $5/gallon! It should be around $3.50/gallon.

You will also need a separate hot water heater if you switch over to natural gas. National Grid wants to charge us over $1000 to reconnect our gas to the street because our line was "cut at the street." The rep told me that they dig up the street and physically cut your line if it hasn't been used in a while, hence the large reconnect fee. If this is truly how gas companies work, it sounds pretty crude to me. If your oil boiler is inefficient, it might very well be worth it. Just make sure to check all the random costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts