Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Berlin = BER lin, right?
Ummm...I pronounce it BER lin NH but it was the ber LIN wall! Go figya!

Last edited by tamiznluv; 02-20-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Bawstin and Bahstin are completely different pronunciations - time for that overdue hearing test
The problem is that so-called "phonetic" spellings like Bawstin and Bahstin are open to interpretation (they are not precise representations of pronunciation like IPA transcription).

The other issue is that some dialects make distinctions between vowel sounds that other dialects do not. Most people who grew up in eastern Massachusetts or northern New England do not make a distinction between the words cot and caught, Don and Dawn, etc.

In fact, there are at least four possible vowel sounds that are sometimes represented as "ah" or "aw," making things even more confusing. Let's take the words father, bother, and daughter.

In eastern MA (+ NH & ME), bother and daughter share the same first vowel sound (same as Boston). This is an open back rounded vowel. Father, on the other hand traditionally has an open front unrounded vowel (the same vowel as in 'ar' words like car and farther). This distinction is gradually weakening among younger speakers.

In Rhode Island, CT, and much of western MA, it is father and bother that rhyme (with an open mid-front unrounded vowel), whereas daughter has a very distinct open mid-back rounded vowel. The same pattern holds true for much of the eastern US, although phonetic variations in the two vowel sounds exist (most places outside of the Mid-Atlantic have a more open vowel in daughter, for example).

For most people in the western half of the US, all three words have the same vowel, an open back unrounded vowel. This "western" system is becoming increasingly common among young New Englanders.

At any rate, if we are limited to simple alphabetic phonetic approximations, I think that "aw" is probably a better choice for Boston, to distinguish it from the "ah" sound of father or spa. But it shouldn't be confused with the more closed "aw" sound of Rhode Island or New York accents when they pronounce Boston or daughter.

I think some non-Bostonians are just so struck by the "ah" sound they hear, especially in non-rhotic speakers (i.e. "pahk the cah") that they mistakenly make jokes about Bostonians saying "Bahston." However, they don't grasp the rules of the accent: we would only say that if the name were spelled Barston.

(There was a similar joke on collegehumor when the iPad was first released, implying that that was how Bostonians had always pronounced iPod. But for any of us who have lived in Boston, we all know that that joke makes no sense. In fact, it is more appropriate for people from Chicago or Detroit or Buffalo or Cleveland or Milwaukee).

Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Hmmm, I don't understand that college joke.

Fahther, not Fa(r)ther. I go farther to some where, my fahther has passed. No "aw".
Chicahgo, not Chicogo.
Dawther although I sometimes say Dohter like the "O" on Boston.
Bruther
Lester
Wooster
wata = water

I think it's the Harvard acccent the Kennedys and others have that people make fun of. I make fun of a Harvard accent!
They are accents unto their own.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Ummm...I pronounce it BER lin NH but it was the ber LIN wall! Go figya!
Me too!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Me too!
I believe that *is* the pronunciation the locals use. Went to college with a guy from Berlin, and remember him telling some of us that was how it was pronounced

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I think some non-Bostonians are just so struck by the "ah" sound they hear, especially in non-rhotic speakers (i.e. "pahk the cah") that they mistakenly make jokes about Bostonians saying "Bahston." However, they don't grasp the rules of the accent: we would only say that if the name were spelled Barston.
This thread has become very interesting, and I enjoy Verseau's explanations (except that I need to re-read this post when I am alone. Pronouncing these words to see what they sound like to the ear makes me sound like I've finally fallen off my rocker...)

One final question: how do most native New Englanders refer to your mother or father's sister. I say "Aunt' (like "open up and say Ahhh"). When I speak with people from elsewhere, it's "Ant". To me, an Ant is a pesky insect that shows up at picnics...

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
One final question: how do most native New Englanders refer to your mother or father's sister. I say "Aunt' (like "open up and say Ahhh"). When I speak with people from elsewhere, it's "Ant". To me, an Ant is a pesky insect that shows up at picnics...
I can't figure that out either, but either way, I don't think it's an MA thing specifically. I say "Ant" but many people that I know in the US, no matter where they're from, say "Ont."

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I can't figure that out either, but either way, I don't think it's an MA thing specifically. I say "Ant" but many people that I know in the US, no matter where they're from, say "Ont."
Check out these maps from the Harvard Dialect Survey. They show the breakdown across the US. Although "ahnt" does exist in other parts of the US (namely Virginia, Minnesota & the Dakotas), it is most heavily concentrated in New England. (If you register for the Cambridge Survey of World Englishes, you can see a much more detailed interactive map here).

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Check out these maps from the Harvard Dialect Survey. They show the breakdown across the US. Although "ahnt" does exist in other parts of the US (namely Virginia, Minnesota & the Dakotas), it is most heavily concentrated in New England. (If you register for the Cambridge Survey of World Englishes, you can see a much more detailed interactive map here).
Ah, good point. I was just thinking about it and seemed to recall that most of the "Ahnt" sayers were in CT.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
This thread has become very interesting, and I enjoy Verseau's explanations (except that I need to re-read this post when I am alone. Pronouncing these words to see what they sound like to the ear makes me sound like I've finally fallen off my rocker...)

I say AHNT. I cringe when I hear ANT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts