Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 13,303 times

Advertisements

I live in South Peabody and my son is still a couple of years away from attending school but I find myself thinking alot about his future now.

I haven't exactly heard rave reviews about the Peabody public school system and in particular the Higgins Middle School. I could be off base on this and if I am please correct me.

For all of you that are familiar with the Peabody school system can you give me some specific recommendations for elementary schools and beyond?

I believe that if we go the public school route my son would go to South Memorial (which I know nothing about). After that it would be the Higgins then Peabody High. I've heard of other options in the area but I don't know if they are considered good. For example there is St. John the Baptist School which goes from PK-8. There is also Covenant Christian Academy but I think that is a little expensive for me considering I'd be paying 10K+ throughout all grades.

As you can tell I'm especially interested in elementary/middle school info. I know that there are a few high school options in the area such as Bishop Fenwick, St. John's Prep, St. Mary's, Austin Prep, Malden Catholic, etc. If anyone wants to toss out some high school info I'm all ears. I'm basically looking to try and start coming up with a school plan. I'll continue to do my research but I'd love to get a good start with some info from the community here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
You also have other free options - school choice with another town, and the new Megavoke in Danvers on the campus of the old Essex Aggie, which is available to all the towns in Essex county.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM

I've started to read a little bit about those options. The thing that bothers me a little with school choice is that I feel my child would automatically be labeled as an outsider. It's different if they go to a private school in another town where kids attend from all over but to attend a public school in another town where 99% of the student population is from that town just throws me off a little.
The megavoke is something to consider down the line depending on where my son ultimately decides to attend high school.

Thanks for the info konfetka. Definitly gave me a few more things to research.

I'm hoping someone can provide a comprehensive assessment of Peabody public/private schools as well as neighboring private school options that won't break the bank. I'm primarily interested in early education. I'd be especially curious to hear people's opinion of South Memorial in Peabody.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM

I've been doing a little more research and have made a list of a few PK-8 private schools that would be convenient and affordable in my area. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the following schools:

Our Lady of Assumption School - Lynnfield
St. Mary of the Annunciation - Danvers
St. Pius V School - Lynn
Sacred Heart School - Lynn

If I'm missing any other good options in the Peabody area please let me know.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM

56 posts, read 285,581 times
St. Mary's in Beverly might be another option.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Thanks Ashton887.

St. Mary's, Star of the Sea Elementary. That school came up on my short list as well but there are few reviews available for it especially compared to the others. I know that some of those Beverly private schools are known to be pressure cookers or very "exclusive" in terms of the cliques within the school. I don't know if St. Mary's is that way or not.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Sounds like this exercise is a bit premature.

When your son is of school age send him to the public schools (I thought most South Peabody elementary students went to the Brown School.)

If you then feel he is not receiving the quality of education that you desire then you can consider different private school options. For South Peabody, OLA in Lynnfield would be a very typical choice.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
How about St John (not to be confused with SJP in Danvers) in Beverly, it's close to 128 for commuting, and I know people who are very happy with it, and kids come all the way from Gloucester to go there.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Just wanted to check in and update this thread. We have visited OLA in Lynnfield during one of their open houses and St. Pius in Lynn, St. Mary in Danvers and St. John in Peabody are on our short list of other schools to visit. OLA was nice but I'm very curoius to see how it stacks up against the others.

If anyone has any additional feedback on any of these schools or others I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts