Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 PM

36 posts, read 176,814 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Brookline vs. Arlington for a young family? I am a young mom - I enjoy being in an urban, culturally rich setting. And also I need to be close to the city for work.

I like both places because they are close to the city and have good schools for my kids. However, I'm wondering if I would feel out of place in Brookline? It seems like it has a lot more wealthy families. So I'm not sure if I would fit in. But maybe there would be lots of renters like myself of more modest means as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
The "wealthy families" are in the more suburban parts of Brookline, largely. I love the area around Coolidge Corner- not that it's particularly affordable, but there are certainly a lot of apartments, renters, and of course is right on the Green Line on Boylston St.
Brookline schools are certainly far far superior to Arlington, and the overall neighborhood(s) is quite urbane, well educated, and so on. Arlington is a very quiet, safe place to live, with very good access to the bus to Harvard Sq./Red Line (or down Mass. Ave into Boston). The schools aren't overly applauded, but I'm sure they're quite adequate. A lot of educated people live in Arlington to raise their kids, having been priced out of Cambridge. I suspect rentals would be somewhat cheaper in Arlington, but I haven't looked at Brookline for some time.
Good luck- either town had very major pluses going for it.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM

93 posts, read 404,814 times
Default Brookline

Hi,
I live in Brookline/Coolidge Corner, and would safely say that there's no need to feel out of place here if you're not of means! It truly runs the whole socioeconomic spectrum here (both in terms of adults and children), and all income levels are well represented, esp. in the schools. Many of the renters here are grad students/postdocs/medical residents who don't have big incomes. Walking down the street or going to most stores/restaurants here, you won't be hit with the sense that this is a "wealthy" area and anyone is out of place.

Deleaded rental apts (for children 6 and under) are in limited supply, so in that respect, renting here with kids is not easy.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

26 posts, read 221,442 times
Brookline generally has a more urban feel than Arlington, and while Brookline has a number of wealthy areas, it also has working-class and middle class sections, too, and lots of renters. In fact, I'd say it's one of the most diverse towns both culturally and economically in the Boston area.

Arlington is mostly middle class, though there are wealthy pockets and a large working-class area around East Arlington. It is not as culturally diverse as Brookline, but is a very nice town to live in, in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM

36 posts, read 176,814 times
Thanks!! I actually got an apartment in Brookline today! I'm pretty excited. I have always wanted to live in a more urban area, and the schools seem outstanding. We'll have a bit less space than we would out in the 'burbs but there are parks, the T, and all kinds of other stuff right outside the door.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 54,647 times
Yes, I know this thread is four years old! I was just wondering how this worked out for the OP, since we're considering a similar move (and are comparing it to our current experience in Arlington). Hope you're still around!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM

74 posts, read 63,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaG View Post
Yes, I know this thread is four years old! I was just wondering how this worked out for the OP, since we're considering a similar move (and are comparing it to our current experience in Arlington). Hope you're still around!
Brookline is a cool place, and, to be honest, I prefer Brookline over Arlington for a number of reasons:

A) It's got a much more urban feel to it than Arlington, plus it's within a stone's throw of downtown Boston

B) Even though Brookline's technically not part of Boston, one gets the feeling of being in Boston, if one gets the drift.

C) Brookline has much more extensive and better public transportation than Arlington.

D) It's much more diverse than Arlington, with a much, much better school system (if you've got kids.)

However, I think that the part of Brookline (South of Route 9) that abuts with Newton feels a bit too suburban and too plush for my tastes.

But it all depends what you want. Brookline's Coolidge Corner has a wonderful movie theatre that plays all kinds of movies, great bookstores, and other stuff. A whole different flavor from Arlington, contrary to what other people say or think. Just my personal opinion. Hope I've been of some help here.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM

20 posts, read 54,647 times
Thanks for the reply! Out of curiosity, on what basis do you say that the schools are "much, much better?" On sites like GreatSchools, the Brookline schools are ranked in the 8-10 range (an 8 for the high school), and Arlington's ranked 7-10 (a 7 for the high school). I know those sites are mostly based on test scores, and I'd love to know what better way to find out the real details about the inner-workings of various school systems. I currently live in Arlington, and my friends with children here (mostly Elementary level) seem very happy with the schools.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaG View Post
Thanks for the reply! Out of curiosity, on what basis do you say that the schools are "much, much better?" On sites like GreatSchools, the Brookline schools are ranked in the 8-10 range (an 8 for the high school), and Arlington's ranked 7-10 (a 7 for the high school). I know those sites are mostly based on test scores, and I'd love to know what better way to find out the real details about the inner-workings of various school systems. I currently live in Arlington, and my friends with children here (mostly Elementary level) seem very happy with the schools.
A lot of people are going by "past history". Arlington "was" a classic middle of the road middle class town. Home to a lot of cops, firefighters & teachers.....these days, not so much. The Arlington school system has improved by leaps & bounds over the past 10 to 12 years. Almost every school in the town has been rebuilt & a high income demographic has moved in and changed much of the way education is serviced in Arlington. This has been a very rapid change, and many folks just don't know what's been going on over there.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyang View Post
Hi,
I live in Brookline/Coolidge Corner, and would safely say that there's no need to feel out of place here if you're not of means! It truly runs the whole socioeconomic spectrum here (both in terms of adults and children), and all income levels are well represented, esp. in the schools. Many of the renters here are grad students/postdocs/medical residents who don't have big incomes. Walking down the street or going to most stores/restaurants here, you won't be hit with the sense that this is a "wealthy" area and anyone is out of place.

Deleaded rental apts (for children 6 and under) are in limited supply, so in that respect, renting here with kids is not easy.

Good luck!
really?? Maybe back in 2008 but really that isn't true today. The average income in Brookline is over $100,000. I don't even think you can find a studio to rent for less than $2500 a month. Not sure about Arlington but I see more BMW's & Lexus SUV's in Brookline on Beacon street than say Hondas. I drive a 2008 Honda Civic with around 40,000 miles on it -- probably too low class for Brookline & Newton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts