Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzzino View Post
I was thinking about building a two car garage next to my house and if the survey is correct and his house is on my property, I won't be able to build a two car garage next to my house cause we would have to move the property lines and they would both be too close.
Do you have to move the entire lot line, or can you just carve out a deviation where your neighbor's house (supposedly) encroaches on to what (apparently) should have been your lot line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,063,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you have to move the entire lot line, or can you just carve out a deviation where your neighbor's house (supposedly) encroaches on to what (apparently) should have been your lot line?
Lot lines don't have to be straight.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

374 posts, read 656,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
This is extremely unlikely that his house is actually on your lot.

I would have the surveyor come back out and double check. I had my house/lot staked when I bought it and they said my garage wasn't on my property. Lo and behold when the big boss came back out to double check- viola! garage is now on the lot. A stake survey is not so easy in Massachusetts with lot lines often being metes and bounds references to granite markers that were put there 100s of years ago.
I saw one listed in East Bridgewater. The caveat within the disclosures was the fact that part of the house was on the property of the adjacent house.

It is more common than you think, apparently.

Bill

Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,559,092 times
How about selling him a couple feet of your lot? You could always build just a one car garage. Sounds like a good lawyer of real estate property might be in order.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM

24,587 posts, read 17,327,951 times
If it is true and his house is on your lot or too close to it maybe you could get a variance and still build your garage. If he is encrouching your land there must be something in writing somewhere that said it was OK for him to build there. A house is not like a shed you can throw up in a weekend. Check with the building dept.
If the house on your land has gone uncontested for 20 years then it is now his land.
I say get a pro surveyor out to mark it off and find out for sure.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,822 times
Even if the neighbor's house has been on your property for 20 years or more it does not necessarily mean that the land is the neighbors via adverse possession. It depends on if it is registered land or recorded land. If title is registered than adverse possession would not apply. In this instance the specific facts make a world of difference.

You should contact a land use or zoning attorney in your area to discuss the issue and possible solutions.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM

42 posts, read 46,641 times
Thumbs down Yada Yada Yada..trouble makers...

leave it alone...no one likes a ****ty neighbor..you have to live there. Like slipping down in a neighbors yard and suing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts