Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM

392 posts, read 923,585 times

Advertisements

I've heard now a few stories from people who bought condos, and were not happy with the way things are run when they needed to renovate, or some other issues were uncovered. Say, if you are buying a house, you can talk to the neighbors, and drive around the area at different times of day (or even at night). With condo, you can of course walk around the building all you want, but otherwise... It seems kind of too intrusive talking to neighbors, plus some may be renters, and I would have no idea to know who is owner and who is not, before knocking on their doors. Bigger complexes may have reviews online (but not always, and sometimes review is from 5 years ago, so you wonder). There are a lot of these smaller complexes, where there are less than 10 apartments, or even just 3. What hidden issues do I look for?

I'm looking for a condo in Brookline, and I don't even know where to begin - not in terms of price or location or amenities. These are easy to figure out. I just don't want to end up in a sucker of a complex, and some condos linger on the market Waaaay longer than others, and I wonder if one of the reasons is desirability of the complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,750,132 times
I thought you might find this article on what to ask when buying a townhome or condo helpful.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
I thought you might find this article on what to ask when buying a townhome or condo helpful.
This is a well written blog post Leslie. I would only add two things:

1. Inquire as to whether or not there are any units in the building not up to date on their condo fees. If they don't pay them, then as a fellow condo owner in the building you will have to shoulder those expenses.

2. Ask about assessments. Are there any coming? Have there been any in the past? An association forced to regularly have special assessments does not have enough money in the bank to cover maintenance costs. The person who will end up making up that shortfall is you.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,053,769 times
Most every condo association has a newsletter.
Usually on line. Look up and read.

Obtain copies of financial reports. Go back a few years.
Is there a management company. If so, look that one up.
Look for fee increases.
Look for special assessments.
Check the exterior and grounds. If wood exterior painting will be needed every few years.
Check pavement. That will have to be done every few years.
Check parking. Are there enough spaces. For yourself and for guests.
Pets allowed or not allowed.
Play areas for children.

And, of course, ask the folks that live there.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM

23,840 posts, read 19,008,205 times
Ask for the association's cash reserve amount as well as it's total debt load. If they will not provide you with that information, walk away.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM

18,747 posts, read 33,500,676 times
I'd take all financial info (assessments, reserve fund, history) to a lawyer who is good with real estate stuff and condo docs.
I'd also find out if there is professional management, how long the company has been hired, etc.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM

392 posts, read 923,585 times
These are great suggestions, thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts