Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 AM

15 posts, read 34,541 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation offer to the area [summer 2013] and had Newton high on our list of places to live [together with Lexington & Belmont]. We have twins of 8.5 years old and have been struggling with the severe overcrowding of our school district in Belmont, California for the last 3 years [yes, I know it is funny that we consider moving from Belmont, CA to Belmont, MA...]. Our public schools are excellent and the area is attracting young families in hordes - district does not cope and both elementary and Middle are bursting in the seams. It sounds as if the situation is similar in Newton [and we really had enough of it...].
Will you please let us know more about the problem:
Is there a risk of kids not to be enrolled in their own neighborhood school [and thus having to be bussed or driven to another school in the district] - if so, how are decisions about which school being taken [lottery / first come, first serve, etc]?
Is the problem getting better in Middle school / high school?
I have read the other link, mainly criticizing the condition - are there any other opinions about it [not as bad as it sounds???]

Any input will be highly appreciated [including comparisons to other options like Belmont, Lexington, Wellesley, etc].

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
You will have similar problem here, too. Many relocate and want to be in certain neighborhoods. Belmont starting to have similar issues. However, what is overcrowding? Class sizes fluctuate between 21-27. I do not think it is that bad, as some would like to make it. Most of the developed world has class sizes closer to 30 and over. For smaller, more cozy school experiences, there are numerous private and Catholic schools that serve the area. You can truly have a great opportunity to choose what type of school serves your kids the best.
Overcrowding in this area has also been very cyclical. For a couple of years there is more enrollment, than less, and so on. Right now most desirable, coveted places withing easy reach of Cambridge and Boston are in demand, as many companies putting roots in the area, and hence the problem. In general, it is not so much schools but whole Boston Metro area that is becoming overcrowded. Desirable or not.
All the towns you mentioned are good, but Lexington stands out as very well run town (tax base is very good), and it is best value for your money--education and amenities. Belmont and Winchester have great location and charm, but are not well managed, and have money issues that start to reflect on schools. Newton is also very mixed bag, since it is big with very different neighborhoods and schools. Wellesley should be well run for the most part.
Also, I am not aware that kids are forced to go out of their school district so far, not sure how will this issue be dealt with in the future.
This is my very quick overview. In the end, you would not be wrong to pick any of towns mentioned in the end, they are all great. Figure out which location is the best in terms of commute and amenities, and rest should fall in place. Good luck.

Last edited by kingeorge; 10-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 AM

Kingeorge, Thanks so much for the detailed and informative answer. I highly appreciate the input. One question please:
You are writing: "Also, I am not aware that kids are forced to go out of their school district so far, not sure how will this issue be dealt with in the future"; Just to clarify, I am asking about neighborhood catchment areas, not district as such.In our area in California, the school-district is solving overcrowding by enrolling kids in other schools within the district, but NOT in their neighborhood school (the one closet to home). What is the situation in this regard in Newton, please?
Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
What's your definition of a crowded classroom?

I think most school systems in the Greater Boston area shoot for a number in the low 20s, but some classes, depending on the grade and/or subject, may have up to 30 students.

My wife is a second grade teacher in Lynnfield and she has 20 students in her class this year. I think she had 21 last year.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM

The problem of over-crowded schools is not only about class size, though small class size (up to about 20) contributes to good learning environment, I believe. Over-crowding means students being shifted to other schools in the district, schools being held in prefabricated classrooms, science and computer labs not sufficient for the student body, etc.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
I am not sure how Newton deals with this issue. I would call Superintendent's office and ask if all kids go to neighborhood school, and if not, what neighborhoods might be impacted. They should also be able to tell you average class size. You will be hard pressed to find schools in the area, with less than 20-25 kids per class. You should consider private school option if more than 20 kids in the class is not what you looking for. Best of luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanks again. We are great believers in neighborhood schools and community, thus private will not fit the profile. This said, we will be looking to buy in a neighborhood that will offer a great community and good schools (within the limits of decent commute to Cambridge). This is why we are seeking input about Newton schools.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
The problem is that Newton has a reputation for having excellent public schools, so that causes families who care about the education of their children to move here. And of course, then Newton has to make room for their children in their schools... just as if you move to Newton, your presence will make the classrooms a little more crowded.

I am a rarity in Newton. I have lived here for 20 years and am childfree. Of course, now I feel that I didn't get a good value for all of the property taxes paid to Newton all these years... especially with that crazy expensive new Newton North high school building that was recently built. So naturally I feel that childfree properties ought to get a tax break.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM

MIU: While it is a total deviation from my original post, allow me to take a minute and answer your "So naturally I feel that childfree properties ought to get a tax break" discourse. We had this fight in my current residence city when we were doing our own "over-rides"; I am yet to hear a property owner who wants a tax break or vote against tax increases, agreeing to decline the increase of real-estate value to his property, as a result of the excellent school system....
These things go hand-in-hand, part of the reason people like me agree to pay prime prices for real estate in Newton and other such districts, is a direct result of the public schools quality.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The problem is that Newton has a reputation for having excellent public schools, so that causes families who care about the education of their children to move here. And of course, then Newton has to make room for their children in their schools... just as if you move to Newton, your presence will make the classrooms a little more crowded.

I am a rarity in Newton. I have lived here for 20 years and am childfree. Of course, now I feel that I didn't get a good value for all of the property taxes paid to Newton all these years... especially with that crazy expensive new Newton North high school building that was recently built. So naturally I feel that childfree properties ought to get a tax break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernani View Post
MIU: While it is a total deviation from my original post, allow me to take a minute and answer your "So naturally I feel that childfree properties ought to get a tax break" discourse. We had this fight in my current residence city when we were doing our own "over-rides"; I am yet to hear a property owner who wants a tax break or vote against tax increases, agreeing to decline the increase of real-estate value to his property, as a result of the excellent school system....
These things go hand-in-hand, part of the reason people like me agree to pay prime prices for real estate in Newton and other such districts, is a direct result of the public schools quality.
You beat me too it. As I was reading Miu's post, I was thinking exactly what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts