Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times

Advertisements

Well my thoughts are that she isn't any good at real life financial management, but that's typical of liberals. But I think that she should ask her grassroots volunteers to chip in and pay for the coffee and pizza that they consumed while campaigning for her and the gas they used for driving voters to the polls.

Elizabeth Warren campaign debt includes bills for printing, mailing and professional services | masslive.com

Quote:
In that email, the campaign chalked up the debt to higher than expected Election Day expenses - “last-minute coffee and pizza” to feed volunteers and money for vans to drive people to the polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Well in all due respects in larger campaigns there can tend to be debts not paid. I know for a fact that presidental campaigns often times this occurs. So given the size of this I could imagine that this wasn't that much of a surprise.

If you want to see spending en masse on this then look at McMahon and CT as she's spent (and lost) 100 million on two senate races.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/ny...anted=all&_r=0

I'm not saying I was for or against her but spending that type of money is pretty big. At this point she's economic stimulus!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Scott Brown was a mediocre lightweight who got in on a fluke because of the horrendous campaign for the eminently more qualified candidate. If the years when voters paid attention to the issues instead of the "popular image" and gossip-rag potential of the persons running hadn't gone by it never would've happened. Everybody who loathes inclusive, progressive politics and can't stand anyone who isn't a rich native-born White Christian right-wing sheep will just have to get over the fact that the better person won this time out. Goodness knows your Cosmo model with his "American Idol" daughter could well be back in government (even succeeding Kerry) very soon as it is. What sore losers!
It is the fault of the campaign management and not the candidate for any budgetary woes incurred while that person was running. But I guess that obvious and simple fact doesn't occur to individuals who believe our president isn't American and think more guns will solve everything - among other wild n' crazy stuff.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I guess that I don't feel that her volunteers should be expecting to be fed for free while campaigning for her. If you really believe in your candidate, then support them for free and pay for your own coffee and pizza. And Elizabeth Warren shouldn't be expecting her voters to pay for coffee and pizza for her grassroots style campaigning.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Scott Brown was a mediocre lightweight who got in on a fluke because of the horrendous campaign for the eminently more qualified candidate. If the years when voters paid attention to the issues instead of the "popular image" and gossip-rag potential of the persons running hadn't gone by it never would've happened. Everybody who loathes inclusive, progressive politics and can't stand anyone who isn't a rich native-born White Christian right-wing sheep will just have to get over the fact that the better person won this time out. Goodness knows your Cosmo model with his "American Idol" daughter could well be back in government (even succeeding Kerry) very soon as it is. What sore losers!
It is the fault of the campaign management and not the candidate for any budgetary woes incurred while that person was running. But I guess that obvious and simple fact doesn't occur to individuals who believe our president isn't American and think more guns will solve everything - among other wild n' crazy stuff.
Um, if Martha Coakley is so much more qualified and was truly the better candidate, she would have won. The arrogance shown by the Dems during that campaign was laughable. As an Independent, I was glad to see Scott win. You also need to stop making assumptions about people who either voted for, or supported Scott Brown.

Oh and the fact that they kept calling it Ted Kennedy's seat was a slap in the face to us all. It's not one man's seat, it's the people of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' seat.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Didn't EW lie about being Native American and practice law illegally? Her message is one of misery and despair.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I guess that I don't feel that her volunteers should be expecting to be fed for free while campaigning for her. If you really believe in your candidate, then support them for free and pay for your own coffee and pizza. And Elizabeth Warren shouldn't be expecting her voters to pay for coffee and pizza for her grassroots style campaigning.
Sorry, that's the way campaigns work. ALL of them. Democrats, Republicans and everything else. If you don't like the way campaigns operate don't donate or support efforts to reform campaign spending. It's not like Warren was writing the checks herself and a lot of campaigns come up short in the end and have to find ways to retire their debt. I'm fairly certain about half the Republican primary field still has debts to be paid off. It happens on both sides. I'm also willing to bet Brown wishes he had spent the $400,000 he had left over.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
It's not our problem - let her worry about it.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM

387 posts, read 916,799 times
Quote:
I volunteer for political campaigns, and yes, coffee and pizza are standard. The vast majority of volunteers are college students and people in their early 20s. No campaign can function without that group of unpaid workers. If campaigns didn't supply food and caffeine, many volunteers wouldn't be able to stick around.

The last time I was asked to make calls was for a 6-9 p.m. shift. Being offered a piece of pizza kept me in my seat for the duration. Most volunteers (myself included) make donations if they can. It's just a separate issue.

If it helps, that email requesting money for the budget shortfall went out to all of Elizabeth's supporters, including the volunteers who ate the pizza.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
All should really view Big Sky Big Money.

LINK

And read up on ALEC.

LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts