Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM

82 posts, read 194,342 times

Advertisements

From what I have read, it seems like the public schools are good in both places. What we're wanting is to live somewhere quaint and super safe with close proximity to shopping, groceries, restaurants.....and with what I already wrote (great schools). I would also need to drive to my college which is in Worcester. I know that Shrewsbury is closest, but how tough would the commute from Franklin be? What do you consider to be the pros and cons of each town?

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM

278 posts, read 703,436 times
I don't know much about Franklin, but I would assume the two towns are somewhat similar. Will you be buying or renting? Taxes are very low in Shrewsbury, if that is a consideration.

You will also be looking at a 40+ minute commute from Franklin without traffic, whereas Shrewsbury is right next door.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM

342 posts, read 571,043 times
Franklin is a 30-45 minute commute to worcester. franklin is also building a brand new high school to be complete in 2015 and has some of the best schools in all of new england. shrewsbury has alot more crime than franklin since its right acroos lake quinsigamond from worcester. franklin has high-ish taxes and is really a great small town on the mbta commuter rail, and is actually one of the best places in the united states to raise a family(i'll try to find you the artcile which i dont have on hand right now). and as brent s said it depends are you renting or buying.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 PM

10 Best Towns for Families: Madison, MS, and Franklin, MA
Found the link.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM

82 posts, read 194,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Thank you both very much for taking the time to tell me more about both areas. I enjoyed reading that article as well....it's how I had invisioned Franklin in my mind. I do wish that my (potential) school in Worcester was closer, but there are going to be give and takes to any move. You both asked if we would be renting or buying and we plan to purchase a home once we decide where we plan to move to.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM

homes in shrewsbury are probably cheaper than in franklin but in franklin you can get a bigger house for just a little more than in shrewsbury and you can have a yard. but there isn't really that much to do in franklin because its really your typical new england town turned suburb.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:49 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
It could depend on what you would rather be closer to. Franklin is right next to the Wrentham Outlets, 10-15 minutes away from Patriots Place and 50 minutes from Boston. It's also close to Providence and closer to the Cape than Shrewsbury.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM

69 posts, read 239,909 times
personally, I would lean towards Franklin. My wife and I just bought a house in Medfield but we looked at Franklin (that's where the in-laws live) extensively but it ended up being too long of a commute for me. You can get quite a bit for your money in Franklin, the taxes are a actually quite low, schools are good, there are a lot of amenities and there is a commuter rail if you ever end up getting a job in the city.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
If your going to be spending most of your waking time in Worcester, Shrewsbury is the only choice.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM

160 posts, read 571,849 times
I don't think people normally compare Shrewsbury and Franklin to each other very often since that are really not that close to each other.

I think that with you commuting to Worcester, I just don't see why you would want to sign up for a commute from Franklin when Shrewsbury has everything you are looking for. Unless you just don't love the feel of the town...

The schools are exemplary (look at 2012 MCAS where they did phenomenal this year - up with top performing districts in the state), you are close to Wegmans and other supermarkets (although Wegmans is just in a league of its own) and tons of shopping, great restaurants and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts