Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM

33 posts, read 127,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are new to town and can someone suggest good places to shop for auto insurance in MA?? We live in Quincy MA,

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Well, since the insurance rates are regulated (as of this writing we are the only one in the nation who does this), it doesn't matter where you go. They will all be the same. Just find the one who will give you the best service. All the big carriers are out ot the question; they left here a long time ago. Hopefully the insurance reform act will change all of this. I'm tired of paying through the nose for everyone elses bad driving.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM

213 posts, read 936,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Well, since the insurance rates are regulated (as of this writing we are the only one in the nation who does this), it doesn't matter where you go. They will all be the same. Just find the one who will give you the best service. All the big carriers are out ot the question; they left here a long time ago. Hopefully the insurance reform act will change all of this. I'm tired of paying through the nose for everyone elses bad driving.
Has the insurance reform act passed or is it still waiting to be voted on?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,700 times
Quote:
I believe rates in MA are usually lower than in other parts of the countries though. However, it's likely that they'll be even lower when the market will be more competetive. I think it's a good thing though that companies aren't allowed to charge different rates based on socio-economic statuses.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
Has the insurance reform act passed or is it still waiting to be voted on?
I belive it's still in legislation.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I believe rates in MA are usually lower than in other parts of the countries though. However, it's likely that they'll be even lower when the market will be more competetive. I think it's a good thing though that companies aren't allowed to charge different rates based on socio-economic statuses.
Here is a perfect example of how insurance costs in Mass can soar over many areas of the country. When I left Mass in 2005 my insurance with Commerce for my 2003 chevy was $1485 for the year. I lived 1 hour from Boston. When I moved to Portland, Oregon I insured with State Farm 30 days after arriving here and my cost for 1 year was $682 for higher coverages. I did not in Mass or do I now have a bad driving record or tickets. I always felt there was something seriously wrong with anything related to owning and operating a car in Mass, be it the RMV at least before they were forced to lighten up, but especially the way auto insurance was handled in that state. If auto insurance reform is taking place in Mass, obviously there is a dire need for it, and it should have taken place decades ago. Having a choice of companies and competition for the rates being charged can save people money. As far as I am concerned the few auto insurance companies in Mass defintely charged rates based on socio-economic statuses wheter they were allowed to or not.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
As far as I am concerned the few auto insurance companies in Mass defintely charged rates based on socio-economic statuses whether they were allowed to or not.
No competition, bud. Plain and simple. We don't have choices, so sock it to us. And to top it all off, let's charge everyone who owns a vehicle an excise tax for the privilege of keeping it in Mass. Tax, tax, tax, fee, fee, fee.

You wonder why thousands of people are leaving this state every year? Look no further than the people you voted for.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
It's not about somebody's personal economic status, but about the neighborhood that you live in. Your rates are based on your individual driving record (the points or steps that we have here) and where the car is garaged. If you live in a city, there is a greater chance that you will be involved in an accident and the probability that your car will be stolen/vandalized increases. When you call and ask for a quote, it's based on the type/value of the car and your domicile, including your personal driving record. It is not based on how much money you make.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Here is a perfect example of how insurance costs in Mass can soar over many areas of the country. When I left Mass in 2005 my insurance with Commerce for my 2003 chevy was $1485 for the year. I lived 1 hour from Boston. When I moved to Portland, Oregon I insured with State Farm 30 days after arriving here and my cost for 1 year was $682 for higher coverages. I did not in Mass or do I now have a bad driving record or tickets. I always felt there was something seriously wrong with anything related to owning and operating a car in Mass, be it the RMV at least before they were forced to lighten up, but especially the way auto insurance was handled in that state. If auto insurance reform is taking place in Mass, obviously there is a dire need for it, and it should have taken place decades ago. Having a choice of companies and competition for the rates being charged can save people money. As far as I am concerned the few auto insurance companies in Mass defintely charged rates based on socio-economic statuses wheter they were allowed to or not.
I hardly think insurance companies here are breaking the law by looking at your income, your marital status, your credit, etc. or do you believe that they are doing that?

However, you're correct that MA has one of the higher rates in the country on average, but it's also one of the most densely populated states so it's not too surprising. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the rates when this change happens.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
No competition, bud. Plain and simple. We don't have choices, so sock it to us. And to top it all off, let's charge everyone who owns a vehicle an excise tax for the privilege of keeping it in Mass. Tax, tax, tax, fee, fee, fee.

You wonder why thousands of people are leaving this state every year? Look no further than the people you voted for.
I do have to chime in here though and say that MA has a lower than average tax rate. You may feel a little nickled-and-dimed with those fees, but the overall tax burden isn't too bad with only 5% sales tax and 5.2% state tax.

CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts