Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,991 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move out of Boston into a suburb to start a family. There are a couple places that look good in East Braintree (specifically between Shaw Street and Hobart Street). How is this area for safety and schools? The ratings on greatschools.org look alright but they might not tell the whole story. Is the area pretty nice and not too rundown or industrial?

If East Braintree is not a good area, does anybody have suggestions of where else we should look? We want 3 beds, 1.5 baths for 350k. Schools are a priority and we have to commute to Cambridge by public transportation. We have already exhausted all the inventory in Melrose and Wakefield. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM

157 posts, read 570,725 times
There's nothing wrong with East Braintree, but it is also probably considered to be the least desirable neighborhood in town. That said, it's good value for money considering the proximity to the red line, good schools, and low tax rate coupled with municiple utilities that include cable/internet.

People generally associate the oil/gas tanks with East Braintree but the neighborhoods tucked in there between that section and 93 aren't bad.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
I think the East Braintree stigma is something that started with townies. Monatiquot (sp?) Village seems to be a big part of that. It's also, as you stated more industrial. I think it was very developed early on, hence there was little room for the McMansions that popped up in Braintree starting in the late 80's. Between all the commercial properties and homes that have been literally built into areas that have been blasted out to accommodate them, there is little property in Braintree at this point that is not developed. I still shake my head at the homes in Sun Valley Estates behind Stop and Shop. Particularly the one that just pops up next to the road. I wonder how much sleep those folks get with headlights shining into their second floor window? I'd take a cute Cape in East Braintree over one of those colonials in the more desirable part of Braintree any day.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 9,900 times
My husband was raised in Braintree and we moved back here with our kids because of the school system. I'll try and be honest and give you the pros and cons being a North Shore transplant. We've lived here for 2 years near Thayer Academy. We are also looking to move out of this area due to the happenings at French's Common. A lot of teens hang out there at night and even though they updated the basketball and tennis courts there is always a lot of trash, cigarette butts and beer bottles. From looking at neighborhoods and schools your best bet is getting a fixer upper in the highlands or looking for something smaller up toward the water tower near Oak St. Though those houses run in the mid to upper 400's. Morrison school district is the least desirable due to their failing MCAS scores. My kids go to Hollis and they love it. Though with that being said Braintree is going through a lot of growing pains and all the schools are over-crowded. They are working on a solution to this right now so I hope that happens quickly. Everyone is friendly enough, I've made some great friends through the town and school systems. We are actually looking to move to NC due to the high cost of housing in the area. There really isn't much on the market here right now but once spring comes I'm sure more will go on. My best advice is to drive through the different neighborhoods because they definitely have their own unique feel to them. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts