Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 AM

16 posts, read 89,286 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking for a reasonably priced golf club (initiation fee under 15 grand or so) in metro west - either newton, needham, wellesley, wayland, lexington, natick, etc. I'd much prefer an 18 hole course, but would consider a 9.

Does anyone have information on initiation fees at some of the clubs in general? I know WCC is about 50k fee and a long wait list, but what about the other clubs in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
There's Needham Golf Club. I don't recall the initation fee off the top of my head but it's very affordable. The downside is that it's only a nine hole course. My parents live in Newton and they actually drive out to Canton for Blue Hill Country Club. I'm not sure what the current initiation fee is but I know they're trying to attract new members and have various categories of membership. Plus, they have 27 holes, a real grass practice range (no matts usually) with a bunker and chipping area, a brand new pool area, and tennis courts. If it's golf that's your main focus I would give a strong recommendation for BHCC. The course has been in great shape since they hired a new greens keeper a few years ago and it's a wonderful layout. Also, it's very family friendly and for a country club I find the people surprisingly down to earth. It's only about a 20 minute ride for me here in Needham when I go there to play.

There's also Pine Brook in Weston (hate that course), Brae Burn in Newton, Charles River CC in Newton, Woodland CC in Newton, and a number of other good clubs in the area. I don't know initiation fees off the top of my head but many have lowered them over the last few years as the bad economy has resulted in a decline in membership for many clubs. A quick call to each will get you the information you seek.

Last edited by MikePRU; 03-02-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
We actually belonged to Blue Hills many years ago. I'm not sure the initiation fee is under $15,000, but they may let you pay in installments. Brae Burn, Charles River and Woodland are going to be more.

I don't know where the OP lives, but I'd offer Framingham CC as someplace to explore.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
We actually belonged to Blue Hills many years ago. I'm not sure the initiation fee is under $15,000, but they may let you pay in installments. Brae Burn, Charles River and Woodland are going to be more.

I don't know where the OP lives, but I'd offer Framingham CC as someplace to explore.
The initiation fee has come down a lot at BHCC over the years. In fact, the whole place has changed quite a bit if you haven't been there lately. The last couple of summers they even offered a trial membership where you could pay dues and be a member for a certain number of months before committing and paying the initiation fee which I believe is paid in installments.

Framingham CC is not a bad course either but BHCC is one of the only clubs that I can think of that offers 27 holes.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM

16 posts, read 89,286 times
Thanks for all the info. 15k isn't a hard line, but I can't be much higher. I'll check out all the clubs you guys mentioned. BHCC looks great online, but is a bit far from where we're looking to live (we're relocating from another city and looking in Newton, Needham and Wellesley).

I think Needham GC is just $1k initiation fee, but I'd like to find a place that's a full country club if possible.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM

109 posts, read 329,633 times
You may be surprised that Framingham has a gorgeous, 18-hole golf club. They recently reduced their fees for membership, so it would be at least worth looking into. Here's the link if you need more info: Framingham Country Club*Home Page

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
$15k initiation is a very low budget for a full country club in Metrowest. You may want to look a little further out - I know Charter Oak in Hudson is very reasonable. Nashawtuc in Concord is a very nice course and was a reasonable $40k last time I checked. They've hosted PGA tour events in the past (Champions).

Aside from Wellesley's 23 year waiting list, don't forget you generally need to be sponsored by 3 current members to be even considered for initiation. Same is true for Woodland, Brae Burn, Charles River and other clubs in the area. In addition to the approx $50k initiation which is pretty standard, you'll be spending another $10-20k per year (closer to $10k if you just let your membership sit idle and $20k if you play and eat there).

Last edited by Parsec; 03-13-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 34,250 times
Would anyone know the initiation fee for Pinebrook or Charter Oaks?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2402 View Post
Would anyone know the initiation fee for Pinebrook or Charter Oaks?
Those are two very far apart golf courses. I'm not familiar with Charter Oaks, but I know a number of PBCC members. Nothing is cheap at PBCC, but I don't know the current initiation fee. I'm sure a quick call to the membership office would get you that information. Personally, I don't really like PBCC. Their course has a lot of blind shots which I feel lose any challenge once you get familiar with the course. Their practice facilities are almost non-existent, and their greens keeper bosses around the members like he owns the place which I feel is ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,800 times
I would like to know what the op's attraction is to joining a private club? I am an avid golfer and enjoy playing many different courses throughout the year. I have been asked a few times from members at different clubs if I would be interested in joining their particular club and I have honestly never had a desire to do so. I try to improve my game, (I still stink) but I believe playing different courses helps my overall ability. I am simply curious as to why people bother to join if your primary focus is just to play golf. I know a lot of guys have memberships who end up paying far more to play than I do. The Golf 18 Network generally has some real decent deals online and other than a full weekend of golf at 4 different courses with 3 of my buddies this season, I don't think I paid more than 50 bucks for 18 with a cart all season.

Last edited by wheelz; 11-03-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts