Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I was driving to work (MA), I was on this 2x2 lanes street with a speed limit posted at 35mph. As I was driving, a police car drove by in the opposite direction, then he put his lights on, U-turned, and pulled me over. I was nice to the guy but he didn't even say hello. He asked for registration and licence, goes back to his car for 15 minutes and comes back with a citation that says:

Offenses:
A. 89-4A - Unsafe passing @ 53mph - W (waived)
D. Speeding - 53 mph in a 35 mph zone [radar] - $100

He pretended he was nice by giving me the minimum fine of $100.

So the truth is, I was probably over by a little bit, maybe 10mph, but there is NO WAY I was 18mph above. Plus it's a short section of road between two red lights, there was still snow, and I was going uphill...

It's my first ticket (I had a warning 3 years ago in MA and 1 months ago in VT), I don't want my GEICO insurance to skyrocket (it's already wicked expensive).

Should I appeal? What are my chances? What should I say at the court?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM

270 posts, read 468,413 times
I wonder if that ticket in VT and MA has a reciprocal agreement meaning whether the violation points in VT would transfer to MA.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Well it was just warnings. Help please?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Appeal it. Basically just tell your story to the court magistrate. It will more or less be your word against the cops, but it's still worth a shot. The magistrate will see that you have no prior tickets and may throw out the ticket. And just to be sure, definitely mention that you have no prior tickets and don't make a habit of speeding.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
I wonder if that ticket in VT and MA has a reciprocal agreement meaning whether the violation points in VT would transfer to MA.
Yes, a VT ticket would affect MA insurance. However, this was just a warning.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM

72 posts, read 205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandinard View Post
Hi everybody,

I was driving to work (MA), I was on this 2x2 lanes street with a speed limit posted at 35mph. As I was driving, a police car drove by in the opposite direction, then he put his lights on, U-turned, and pulled me over. I was nice to the guy but he didn't even say hello. He asked for registration and licence, goes back to his car for 15 minutes and comes back with a citation that says:

Offenses:

So the truth is, I was probably over by a little bit, maybe 10mph, but there is NO WAY I was 18mph above. Plus it's a short section of road between two red lights, there was still snow, and I was going uphill...

It's my first ticket (I had a warning 3 years ago in MA and 1 months ago in VT), I don't want my GEICO insurance to skyrocket (it's already wicked expensive).

Thanks!
So you admit you were speeding, 10 over by your account, and thats what you got ticketed for. He could have ticketed you for 18 over, a $180 fine, so yeah he did cut you a $80 break, not to mention the warning you got. go ahead and appeal it, but take responsibility for your actions. Do you make it a habit of passing, in snow, between two red lights, uphill?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandinard View Post
Hi everybody,

Offenses:

Thanks!

Driving uphill in wintery conditions and speeding is a recipe for a spin out. You're fortunate the only bad part of your day was the inconvenient stop by "the guy" known commonly as "the Officer" who wasn't friendly enough for your liking. I assume unsafe passing meant you made an imaginary lane around another car. Sorry no advice or sympathy for you.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 19,447 times
if you appeal to the clerk magistrate and indicate you "might" have been no more than 10 miles more than the fine will be upheld.

NMA - Massachusetts Page: Ticket-Fighting Cases is a great resource to use to determine what you might do... but remember you have a timeline to file for a hearing.

I have used the above and it was instrumental in defeating the speeding citation. What's important on the speeding citation which MGL was cited. MGL 90-17 statute only cites 50, 40 and 30 mph but the classic MGL . 90-18 cites the words of Mass Highway - the speed signs should not be posted, have not been approved, and as a result were not enforceable

all roads that are not "fully compliant" with Chapter 90, section 18 have an argument to be made when speeding is involved but one has homework to do.

Just showing up and hoping the cop (btw, don't say cop in the hearing) doesn't show up is a big gamble as more often than not they have a Police Advocate there who simply reads the citation.

With surcharges these days it's worth the appeal (there are reciprocal agreements w/i other new england states so your prior infraction may be viewable. Then again it might not be). In the case I argued based on information from the above web cite it was worth it as it was one of my teenagers driving my vehicle.

Results: Ticket dismissed - same circumstnaces; radar patrol going in opposite direction.

Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your answers guys, I appreciate it, especially Dennis Bishop.

Note to the negative comments above: there was no "imaginary lane", it's a 2x2 lanes road, that's why I was confused about the word "passing", I was simply traveling on the left lane, with other cars. Also, there was only a trace of snow in the middle of the road, and I have snow tires, and I always have perfect control of my car, and most important, I was NOT at 53mph, I was at 45mph maximum. So excuse me but, if you have no sympathy for those you drive 10 above at times, then you must hate everybody.

Have a good day!

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-21-2013 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Whatever the case, I am glad that the police is finally cracking down in idiot drivers. No sympathies for you. There are too many low end drivers who do not care for the safety of others when they get behind the wheel. The more the police act like this officer who gave out the ticket, the better and stronger the deterrent. It will make the roads a little safer, and give more money to Massachusetts government. Speeders, think twice.

By the way, please dont waste our judges' time and tax payers' money with silly appeals. You speed, you man up and pay.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-21-2013 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: off topic/rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts