Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,614 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are torn between two great South Shore towns - Hingham and Cohasset. We have young kids and want a family-friendly town where we can get to know our neighbors, with schools, activities & sports for the kids also being a priority. We love Hingham and its amenities, but love the schools in Cohasset and wonder if they're stronger than those in Hingham (largely due to rankings). At the same time, we're fearful that Cohasset isn't quite as vibrant for a young family, and wonder if it's too small. While I know both towns are great, I'd love any insiders' perspective on the differences between the two, as well as the concerns raised above. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
I don't live in either town (we ended up buying in Norwell), but Hingham and Cohasset were both on our short list when house hunting. I seem to remember Cohasset edging out Hingham in terms of rankings, but you always hear about how great Hingham schools are, so in my mind they're probably very similar in terms of quality.

I think they're both good towns, it's just a matter of priorities. In my opinion, Cohasset has the better beaches. And it has a sleepier feel to it, which in some ways is quintessential new england. I think that comes from a.) its quaint town center b.) the houses being more spread out than in Hingham and c.) being more removed from the expressway.

On the other hand, Hingham is more convenient. Which is a big consideration if you commute. It's obviously closer to the expressway. There are more commuter rail stops. It has a commuter ferry. It still has a quaint town center, but there has been more development in the past several years (the Shipyard and Derby Street Shops). In general it's just more built-up.

Granted (again), I don't live in either town, but having a young child myself with plans of family expansion, I find it essential that I be near "things". We take classes at the Y and the South Shore Conservatory (there is a branch in Cohasset), plus I'm always running to the grocery store or Target. Also, my husband and I both work in Boston, so the commute is a consideration...plus access to restaurants on those days we don't want to cook. Life with kids is hectic and you just have to choose what you think will work for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts