Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times

Advertisements

For $2500, your going to be a little further out as you found out.

Westborough has great schools, but unless you get a job at one of the 4 hospitals in Worcester, or at the Milford hospital, it's a long commute. On the other hand, you'll figure that out in the year your renting there There also are a few insurers out here if you work more on that side. AstraZeneca has a pretty big facility in Westborough too.
You can live decently on 75k in Westborough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Boston is expensive and overcrowded.
If you can have jobs away from Boston and not be shackled to it for stressful daily commute you will save on your housing/overall costs of living, as well as on your sanity.
I will assume that coming from CA you would be in the mood for small town feel and not very rural area (correct me if I am wrong). Aiming for jobs in and around Worcester is probably much cheaper in the long run. There are plenty of great places around it, where you can live well, and have great schools. Westborough, Northborough, Southborough, Shrewsbury, North Grafton are great places to live. Closer to Boston I would add Ashland, Hopkinton, Natick, Acton as well. Grafton, Westbourogh,Southborough, Ashland, Natick and Acton have commuter rail that is running into Boston.
Good luck.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
Did you mean to say that he's currently making $75k and will also make $75k after he retires? I'm double checking because I think that when most people retire their income changes.
When I first move out to Boston I will be looking for a job and living on my husbands current income, which is $75,000. Eventually I will find a job and our total income could go up to $125,000. After my husband retires, his income will drop to $30,000 so our total income at that time will be around $80,000. After my husband finds a job our total income could go up to $130,000, which at that point we will be looking to buy a house and stop renting

Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 12,067 times
If we lived out in the suburbs then I would look for a job there first but I want to keep my options open because the most important thing is finding a job in that year before my husband retires!! I wouldn't want to live in a rural area because I like to have access to grocery stores and stuff like that without having to drive forever to get there. I am used to living in big cities and would want to live semi-close to Boston and not too far out. How is the drive coming into Boston on the weekends?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoPlay99 View Post
If we lived out in the suburbs then I would look for a job there first but I want to keep my options open because the most important thing is finding a job in that year before my husband retires!! I wouldn't want to live in a rural area because I like to have access to grocery stores and stuff like that without having to drive forever to get there. I am used to living in big cities and would want to live semi-close to Boston and not too far out. How is the drive coming into Boston on the weekends?
The drive to Boston on weekends is usually fine. What hurts is the lack of cheap and plentiful on street parking. You should expect to pay at least $10 to park in a lot on Saturday. On Sunday if you arrive early enough you may be able to snag a metered spot (no feeding the meter on Sunday).

Most Boston suburbs wouldn't really be considered "rural" in the sense that you usually are no more than 5-10 miles from grocery stores and the like. You may however find yourself a 10-15 minute drive from a major highway which can make the drive in to Boston take almost 45 minutes+ without traffic. I live about 20 miles outside of Boston and on a good day it takes me 45 minutes each way. The reality is I only drive into the city once a month or so because the parking situation is such a pain. Commuter rail is very expensive and the schedule very limited so taking it into the city on the weekend isn't a viable option in most cases.

I only live 20 miles out because with a household income similar to yours (no kids yet) it was the only place my wife and I could afford a house. In an ideal world we would be living much closer to the city but with that income it's not really possible if you want a single family house.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM

160 posts, read 571,849 times
I would definitely take Westborough (and surrounding towns) out of the mediocre category - great schools, more affordable than some towns closer to Boston and a somewhat central location to many hospitals. Aside, from major Worcester hospitals you are close to milford, marlborough, metrowest, newton-wellesley, providence is only 45 minutes away. Also close proximity to many IT jobs for your husband. Driving to Boston non-rush hour is about 35 - 40 minutes.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoPlay99 View Post
Hello,
I'd like to know your experience with the school system. What did you select?.....we are moving from MI. My children are going to the 1st and 7th grades. They've been used to diversity, but I don't care about that. I care about the academics..period. We are looking to live in Westborough and commute to Worcester for work.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Default Watertown or Arlington

You might look into Watertown or Arlington, both have good schools and are easy access into the city close to commuter rail (route 2) and alewife (subway) - Arlington is especially nice with a bike path through town to Lexington that connects to Alewife red line subway station. There's a number of businesses downtown and a good school system. You might try my town Winchester too though its a bit pricey compared to Arlington. Watertown is also good and good for families. But I would suggest checking out Arlington first. -

Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
Default Hi

Hi! My husband was in the military for almost 9 years prior to his injuries (AD Army) and we live just northwest of Boston, near Hanscom AFB and the Bedford VA. I work p/t as a Realtor There are a lot of options out there, if you know where to look, and what resources to use (it is cheaper to buy right now than rent, for most houses, and with the VA Loan, you can buy a house). One of the best things about the Boston area is the transportation system, you can live outside the city and take the commuter rail in, or live in the city and not even worry about owning a car.

Since you have kids, you might want to check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community, the site provides a lot of good info on local schools, and may help you in making your decision.

Also the local base (it's air force) Hanscom AFB has a few wives/spouses groups which can provide you with a ton of info from others who have moved here (they allow veteran's wives as well).

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-14-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: no soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts