Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 21,323 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be relocating to South Mashpee in January of 2014 due to a job offer I received. We have never visited before. We would like to rent before buying, gives us a chance to know the neighboring areas. Could you please shed some light on safe and beautiful areas to live, it would be a big plus if the commute to Boston was within 45 minutes or so, this would give him a chance to commute for a job if needed. Also we would appreciate referrals for real estate agents specializing in rentals. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Suggest you post in the state forum. This forum deals with basic landlord tenant issues. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Thank you.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM

Default Moving to South Mashpee, MA

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be relocating to South Mashpee in January of 2014 due to a job offer I received. We have never visited before. We would like to rent before buying, gives us a chance to know the neighboring areas. Could you please shed some light on safe and beautiful areas to live, it would be a big plus if the commute to Boston was within 45 minutes or so, this would give him a chance to commute for a job if needed. Also we would appreciate referrals for real estate agents specializing in rentals. Thank you,

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose111 View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be relocating to South Mashpee in January of 2014 due to a job offer I received. We have never visited before. We would like to rent before buying, gives us a chance to know the neighboring areas. Could you please shed some light on safe and beautiful areas to live, it would be a big plus if the commute to Boston was within 45 minutes or so, this would give him a chance to commute for a job if needed.
Masphee is just over the Bourne Bridge on Cape Cod. I imagine commuting from there to Boston during rush house would take a few hours. Driving to Boston from there during off peak times is about 1.5 hours. There might be some kind of boat or nearby rail line you could take that would cut down the time during rush hour. I would check out MBTA.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose111 View Post
Also we would appreciate referrals for real estate agents specializing in rentals. Thank you,
I would definitely get in touch with Cape Cod Todd who posts here. He seems very knowledgeable of the Cape and is a real estate agent. You should be able to contact him through the website. Here's his profile page:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...d-1401564.html

Old 12-10-2013, 06:06 PM

169 posts, read 182,639 times
South Mashpee is predominantly made up of vacation areas of New Seabury and Popponesset, both affluent vacation areas on the water. The commute to Rte 6 alone is 20 minutes. From exit 2 where you would get on/off Rte 6 to the Sagamore Bridge is about a 10 minute ride. The commute from the Sagamore Bridge to Boston is about 1 hour. And all of that is off peak times so a total of about 1 1/2 hours. Rush hour could add another hour onto that. Don't know of any boat. There may be a bus but doubtful if it stops in Mashpee - I know Falmouth has a bus depot.

My family owns a vacation condo in the area and I have spent my summers down there for nearly 50 years. The main shopping area, Mashpee Commons, has 2 major grocery stores - Roche Brothers and Stop and Shop, 2 drugstores - CVS and Walgreens, a movie theatre and assorted high end chain clothing and speciality stores and restaurants.

There are some areas with year round home owners and there is an elementary and middle school and Mashpee high, so the population for year rounders is there.

It is a seaside town with very little industry, so not sure what type of job offer you have. I would think South Mashpee would be considered anything south of Rte 130 and Rte 28 and most of that is made up of the aforementioned vacation area.

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
Don't know of any boat. There may be a bus but doubtful if it stops in Mashpee - I know Falmouth has a bus depot.
Allow me to add some detail to my earlier post . . . when I alluded to public transportation alternatives my assumption is that one would have to drive off Cape (over one of the bridges) to get on them. I believe there is a bus from the Cape that actually leaves from the Cape and goes to Boston but I'm not sure how frequently it runs.

Basically, there aren't many public transportation options from the Cape to Boston because there isn't a significant portion of the Cape's population that works in Boston. It's too far.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I believe there is a bus from the Cape that actually leaves from the Cape and goes to Boston but I'm not sure how frequently it runs.
There's a bus from Hyannis and one from Bourne (Peter Pan?). It goes to the airport, I don't know where else it stops.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
All of Mashpee is safe. The commute to Boston would be a nightmare. We are retired and we live in Mashpee and we go to the North Shore a lot to see family, always timing our trips before or after the evening rush hour.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,797 times
Plymouth and Brockton Bus travels to Boston, stopping at South Station, then the airport. Pickup points are Hyannis Travel Center, Barnstable on Rte. 6 and Sagamore (just over the bridge). So to pickup the bus, you'd have about a 30-40 minute ride to the parking lot where they pick up, but it's worth it. There's a train that leaves from North Plymouth, but unless it's changed, it only has one departure in the am and one return in the pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts