Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 AM

967 posts, read 4,785,051 times

Advertisements

Patapasco, I hope you don't mind my asking but would you mind sharing the name of the inspector with me too? An investor friend of mine is looking at an older multi-family and doesn't like the inspector he used the last time. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
If anyone needs the name of the inspector I used, his name is Frank Deveau from Jackson Home Inspection. He specializes in older/antique homes and made both buyer's and seller's agent grimace as he went inspected the house. He's every agent's worst nightmare -- the one they call "deal-killer".

Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 AM

130 posts, read 832,565 times
Will do. As soon as I find the email address, I'll get on it.

Sounds like 'ol Frank there is the one to have, though!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Thanks for posting the name Parsec. I typically work with Buyers, and being able to pass along the name of a GOOD home inspector in MA is very important to me. I work in both MA and NH, and MA requires inspectors to be licensed, but that is NO sign that an inspector is good (sort of like saying every licensed driver is good, for that matter like saying every licensed real estate is good LOL and we all know that's not true...)

I can't even imagine NOT wanting a good and thorough agent for your Buyers. Now there are some inspectors who will present everything as an alarm. I remember one insp. where the Buyer was told "the water heater is about to go--the water isn't nearly hot enough". Well, as it turned out, the Seller kept the water heater very low because they had 2 pre-schoolers who they didn't want to scald themselves. Once the water heater temp was increased, there was plenty of hot water.

So there are inspectors who will point out true problems to be concerned with, and those who will try to point out problems that don't exist...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,960 times
We have used Jackson Home inspection twice- both very favorable experiences- the later saving us thousands on an issue they found.

With that said- all inspectors miss things. Don't leave it 100% up to the inspector to uncover issues. Preliminary work should be done by asking the seller's agent plenty of Qs on the history of the home- was the roof shingled over? How old is the furnace etc...

The extra $ spend on an inspector does not guarantee anything- it's just another level of safe guarding and help in making a decision. If you read the fine print, they are not liable for ANYTHING.

Be a smart buyer!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 25,759 times
It is important that the sellers agent is there to allow access to the property and to make it ready for the inspection also be available for questions if there should be any . The listing broker or the seller should allow the inspector and his customer thats you to feel free to talk and inspect by themselves along with the buyers broker if there is one . it is customary for the listing realtor to sit and wait and not to unduly influence the inspection . you should have pleanty of time to inspect and review the findings.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,044 times
[quote=Is it customary for the seller's agent to come along for the inspection? My wife thought that it's not fair to have the seller's "eyes and ears" come along, especially if we're the ones paying $500 for this. We'd feel awkward talking about what needs to be repaired with him around.[/QUOTE]

I am now selling my house myself therefore acting as agent. I would highly recommend following the home inspector around as he/she inspects the house. I did with a recent home inspection and a total of 5 things he told the Buyer were completely wrong and he based these finding on complete assumptions.

I have replaced the roof and skylights but the home inspector insisted that the skylight were leaking based on a very small old water stain on the sheet rock around the sky lights. I would have no problem if he ran the hose on the roof at the sky lights and then went in the house to look for new water stain, which he wouldn't have found. Not only did he not take my word for it, he went upstairs out the bedroom window over looking the skylights and pointed to where the skylights were leaking. Totally ignored my plea that they were NOT leaking.

I put in the highest quality replacement windows money could buy and the inspector told the Buyer that the replacement windows weren't any good and he based this on residue left around one window from taping installation around the windows!!! Hello Mr. Inspector, didn't you notice it was just one window? It's the window I put my air conditioner in and that tape residue is from the foam tape they supply you in the AC install kits. Imagine he was telling the Buyer all the replacement windows were NO GOOD based on this residue findings.

After my experience, I would say the Seller should be at the inspection no matter what. No one knows the house better than the person who has been living in it for years. But having said that, I think the home inspector still made the stronger impression on the Buyer with his false findings!

Also, this inspector stated that there is no termites but possible evidence of past termites and they want me to have the house professionally inspected for termites. Isn't the home inspection to be determining if there is termites and isn't that enough? The Buyer's agent is saying I can't sell the house if it has termites and it's my responsibility to have it tested. Does anyone know if this is true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts