Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,508 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from a small town in Alaska and me and my boyfriend are planning on relocating to Massachusetts after the summer, I like the area of Haverhill and I was hoping to hear what the people who live there or have visited think.
I'm mostly curious what the crime is like? And is it somewhere you feel safe or can it give you bad vibes taking a walk? Also in the last few years meth has become a really big problem in my town, I know drugs are everywhere but I was curious if haverhill had a noticeable problem with any particular drug?

I would also like to know if the people are nice and if there are fun things to do in the area!

The cost of living here in Alaska is just too much, the rentals in my town are the highest in the state and the food prices are ridiculous as well so anywhere (except maybe a big city) will be a nice change. I was wondering if Haverhill is considered an expensive place to live or a decent one or fairly cheap?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
I haven't been in Haverhill for years but I grew up in the Merrimack Valley. It has a bad reputation as a rough, gritty working-class city (mostly white, in comparison to Lawrence and Lowell). But when I looked up crime and income statistics on this website recently, I was surprised that it doesn't seem as "bad" as I thought. It seems comparable with a lot of towns in that area now, so it seems like there's been some gentrification.

In terms of things to do, I don't think there's much. A couple of bars that might have cover bands and a couple more bars over the border in Plaistow, NH.

You wouldn't be too far from Boston, Lowell, or even Portsmouth, which all have better nightlife, but I don't think there's too much going on in Haverhill itself (or Merrimac, or Plaistow, or West Newbury, etc.).

Andre Dubus' book "Townie" gives a good view of how rough Haverhill (and Newburyport) were in the 70s but it seems like it's changed.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Haverhill seems to be pretty cool to me. I considered buying there, but am leaning toward Salem for a shorter commute to Boston. I've had fun hanging out there and seeing bands.

It's pretty darn cheap for Eastern Mass.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM

I think Haverhill would be a better commute than Salem, even though it's further. It's been mentioned on numerous threads recently that Salem is so far from any interstate highway that it takes a really long time to get in and out. OTOH, Salem definitely has more to do.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I think Haverhill would be a better commute than Salem, even though it's further. It's been mentioned on numerous threads recently that Salem is so far from any interstate highway that it takes a really long time to get in and out. OTOH, Salem definitely has more to do.

It isn't. Haverhill is about an hour on commuter rail, Salem is about 35 minutes, both going to North Station.

Why anyone would drive into Boston from either with the commuter rail there is beyond me.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 AM

My bad, I wasn't thinking about the train, but you're still going to have to deal with traffic on weekends. I think Salem is a more interesting and fun city in general than Haverhill, but the traffic in and out can be terrible.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Haverhill has been in a rough patch since urban renewal in the 70s. My parents grew up there and I have a lot of fond memories of going on family vacations to visit family (most of whom still live either in Haverhill and Bradford or across the border in Plaistow and Salem) and see the sights of my parents' childhood. My mom grew up in a very nice neighborhood that has remained pretty nice, but my dad grew up on the "wrong side of the tracks" and for years his brothers still lived in the same area and I remember being terrified to visit. Neighborhoods to focus on would be around Kenoza Lake, down toward Groveland and Bradford, and even downtown in the lofts if you are comfortable with a bit of urban grit. Stay clear of Washington Street, around High Street, and the numbered streets.

Haverhill has its charms and is back on the upswing - hopefully following at the heels of Lowell's growth. There are big plans for the long-abandoned Woolworth's storefront downtown and many of the old mills have been converted to lofts that are very affordable (hundreds of dollars less per month in rent than almost anywhere else in Eastern Mass). There's a good farmer's market in the summer that I often stop in to when visiting family (I live in the Boston suburbs) and lots going on at my beloved Winnekenni Castle for families. There are some decent restaurants in the city, and the Tap downtown is a little brewhouse that is solid.

You didn't say if you had kids, but the schools leave something to be desired (my family members have either taught or worked in the library at almost every one - several are retiring and are upset at the state of things). Some of the elementary schools are great, but the high school suffers the same problems most urban high schools struggle with. It's unfortunate. There are lots of opportunities for motivated kids, but there are a lot more unmotivated kids who aren't getting the encouragement and support at home that they should.

While Haverhill is considered cheap for Mass standards, it is very expensive for the rest of the country. While food costs will be cheaper for you here than in Alaska, almost everything else will be more expensive - including rent. If you aren't used to oil heat, beware there too as well. Many older apartments have oil heated radiators which are incredibly pricy.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
I have friends who recently moved to Amesbury, the next town over and seem to like it quite a bit.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Amesbury is a great little town, very close to Newburyport and not far from Portsmouth. It's actually two towns over but who's counting? 8-)

Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't. Haverhill is about an hour on commuter rail, Salem is about 35 minutes, both going to North Station.

Why anyone would drive into Boston from either with the commuter rail there is beyond me.
While those points are certainly valid, it is also worth noting that Boston is not the only destination in eastern Massachusetts. Haverhill has five interchanges on I-495 and it is also not a far drive from I-93 via I-495 southbound. If Boston is an infrequent destination for people then Haverhill is the better choice in regards to getting around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts