Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM

78 posts, read 136,106 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with buying land and building a home? We are waiting to move to Mass from CT, but inventory is so low in the towns we are focusing on. We have been patiently waiting for a listing that meets our needs in Westford and Acton, but to no avail. Very frustrating! Things just seem to trickle on in those towns in our price range (700-$750k).

Perhaps, going the new construction way might get us what we want in the town we want. We like the idea of living in a new development, with lots of neighbors and families. I guess I'm just looking for anyone's experience with building a home from square one.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM

8,548 posts, read 14,113,164 times
Are you talking about buying some land yourself and hiring someone to build a house for you or are you talking about finding an empty lot in a new development and working with the builder on creating your new home? These are two very different scenarios.

Either way, building a house from the ground up is a lot of work. You have to pick every little thing that goes into the house from the tile on the bathroom floor to the knobs on the kitchen cabinets. It's a full time job.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM

78 posts, read 136,106 times
I like the idea of finding an empty lot in a new development and working with the builder to create a new home. Are there developments like this is Westford and Acton?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,856,855 times
I just did a quick search and only found 1 subdivision community in your price range. It's in Acton, right up the street (walking distance) to the town beach at Nara park.
Villages at Monument Place - New Construction Homes in Acton, Massachusetts

Westford has a few 1 to 3 home "subdivisions" where you can work with a small-time builder to customize your new home, but it won't have the subdivision/neighborhood feel that you seek.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:32 PM

3,579 posts, read 4,529,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Are you talking about buying some land yourself and hiring someone to build a house for you or are you talking about finding an empty lot in a new development and working with the builder on creating your new home? These are two very different scenarios.

Either way, building a house from the ground up is a lot of work. You have to pick every little thing that goes into the house from the tile on the bathroom floor to the knobs on the kitchen cabinets. It's a full time job.
We basically rebuilt our home.
Picking out AND agreeing on everything is very stressful.
It is a full time job especially working with the contractor.
He said he's seen divorces happen over choices.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 AM

560 posts, read 756,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It is a full time job especially working with the contractor.
He said he's seen divorces happen over choices.
That's an exaggeration.

"If you don't let me put mahogany on the door frame i am going to leave you and the kids" - Said no one ever.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,852,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
That's an exaggeration.

"If you don't let me put mahogany on the door frame i am going to leave you and the kids" - Said no one ever.
Maybe something like:

Man - I want that room over the garage to be my ManCave
Woman - No way, that's where my mom stays when she visits (mother-in-law suite).
Man - Then just tell her not to come every year
Woman - Over my dead body. I'd rather leave you than not see my own mother.
Man - Fine. You said it. I've always known you want out of this marriage......

Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,401,969 times
If you are not an experienced construction industry type, I have one word for you regarding building a house: Don't. There are plenty of homes for sale and why do something you know nothing about?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,856,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
If you are not an experienced construction industry type, I have one word for you regarding building a house: Don't. There are plenty of homes for sale and why do something you know nothing about?
It's really easy to pick out what you want in a new home community in other parts of the country, but it usually works a little differently in the Boston area since we build new homes on a much smaller scale. My parents built a new home in PA from a large homebuilder. All they had to do was check off which options they wanted on a pre-populated form provided by the homebuilder. There were about 5 floor plans they could choose from, then choose options like full basement or crawl space, laminate counters vs. granite, white or stained wood trim, deck or no deck, 2-door or double-door garage, etc.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM

2,211 posts, read 5,382,190 times
I know quite a few people who have done that. Most recently, my brother did- he builds commercial buildings. Even though he is in the trades, he hired a GC. He could not be there everyday so he wanted somebody that could. That being said, he was a second set of eyes and ears and questioned things- for instance a discrepancy in the cost of concrete for his foundation vs what he knew it should cost based on the number of yards. He was able to find savings through his connections but also was able to make good construction decisions.

Witnessing first hand, the stress he and his wife went through was tough. There were cost overruns, time issues and all the while they were crammed into a small, dated apartment after being accustomed to living in a modern, spacious home. It was hard to watch and as MMKY said in a similar- a conversation about something as simple as tile suddenly was about the the cost of fondant on their wedding cake 12 years ago. It was just stress talking but.... :-) They laugh about it now.

They were finding, like you, a lack of inventory and then, homes in their price range (and I think it was close to yours) were just too big for their needs. The homes they could buy and remodel either did not have the lot size or it would end up being living in a construction zone and paying the cost for something they were being forced to "make work" vs getting exactly what they wanted.

When all was said and done, they are thrilled they did it and really got the house they wanted. They focused on energy efficiency, upgrades and aesthetics like large windows with transoms, sustainable wood floors and custom cabinetry throughout.

For some, it is worth the stress. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts