Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times

Advertisements

There's a prison complex on the Norfolk/Walpole town line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There's a prison complex on the Norfolk/Walpole town line.
It's a maximum security prison. We've debated about whether it's a negative to have in town or not. There are a few discussion threads which a quick search should turn up.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 17,708 times
Oh, that doesn't sound too good :/ Thanks, I'll search on that more!!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Cedar Junction in Walpole is maximum security. Norfolk is medium security.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM

The prison in Norfolk is briefly discussed in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/massa...place-buy.html

Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Thank you so much! and thanks for the Norfolk thread link - that was very informative!!
Happy Easter to all!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Cedar Junction in Walpole is maximum security. Norfolk is medium security.
Sorry about that. I just saw Walpole and prison in the same sentence and assumed you were talking about Cedar Junction. I completely forgot there was another prison in Norfolk.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,862 times
I grew up in Walpole, lived there for 21 years and my mother was native to the area as well. I can assure you the prison has little to no effect on the daily lives of residents and it is a perfectly respectable town to live in and be from.
The prison is situated at the extreme southern end of town of Walpole and partly in the town of Norfolk, by itself; a good deal of forest surround it, especially along Winter street and only a small portion is visible from the road, along route 1-A Main street on the Walpole-Norfolk boarder. Issues relating to it are rare and the town of Walpole receives money from the state yearly, but its not talked of much. Escapes are very rare and I think the last time any inmate did so was more than 20-30 years ago now.

Walpole itself is nice, a typical old New England town for southeastern Massachusetts. Housing stock is pretty varied and there are many lovely old homes, some dating back to colonial times; there is also a reasonable amount of newer homes as well when a building boom occurred in the early 2000s. The schools are good too, as they are in the surrounding towns such as Medfield, Norwood, Norfolk, Foxborough.
Its somewhat conservative (fiscally conservative that is---socially its moderately liberal) which is typical for the area and is decidedly family oriented. North Walpole is the least built up but also the most expensive area of town. Really all the towns around Walpole are fine as well, though Medfield, Westwood, Dover, Foxborough are what I'd recommend for the immediate area aside from Walpole as the schools are very good in those towns.

Mike is right, counties are something which are rarely referred to when describing an area around MA; some county governments have been abolished here and any that still do function are very, very weak. Each town/city sets its tax rate and each is its own incorporated town/city; most have their own fire/police as well so things like county sheriffs are largely unheard of, where they even exist...you have no county/city-limit distinctions as every area of the state is incorporated within some town/city --this feature goes back to colonial times and is known as the a New England town setup.
People tend to refer to an area by a nearby larger town or highway, some feature like that. (I know this might sound weird as when I lived in other areas of the US, counties are what is so common to use when referring to an area).

Last edited by Austin023; 04-21-2014 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: typo error

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Austin023, Thank you so much for the wonderful information (and for understanding the whole county reference thing)! I have been doing a lot of internet searches on the towns everyone has mentioned; climate, demographics, populations, education, etc. but hearing first hand from people who have lived in or are familiar with the area is way more informative. So again, thank you much!!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Mike is right, counties are something which are rarely referred to when describing an area around MA; some county governments have been abolished here and any that still do function are very, very weak. Each town/city sets its tax rate and each is its own incorporated town/city; most have their own fire/police as well so things like county sheriffs are largely unheard of, where they even exist...you have no county/city-limit distinctions as every area of the state is incorporated within some town/city --this feature goes back to colonial times and is known as the a New England town setup.
People tend to refer to an area by a nearby larger town or highway, some feature like that. (I know this might sound weird as when I lived in other areas of the US, counties are what is so common to use when referring to an area).
I'm not aware of any counties in this state that don't have any county government at all. As far as I know, every county in MA has governmental agencies like the registry of deeds and a sheriff for example. However, government is very very limited at the county level in this state. A sheriff in MA does not have anywhere near as many duties as a sheriff in another state. Basically, they serve legal notices and evict people. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts