Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times

Advertisements

I'd say Newton or Brookline would be by far your best bet and deal with an hour commute. Both those towns have conservative and orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, few if any Muslims, Whole Foods, Chestnut Hill Mall is pretty upscale. Unfortunately, that $100K salary won't go too far so plan on making some sacrifices of some sort. Housing and overall cost of living is very high here only slightly lower than NYC or San Fran. It will be an adjustment - Massachusetts can be a hard place to live and learning to love it...well....it is not for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I'd say Newton or Brookline would be by far your best bet and deal with an hour commute. Both those towns have conservative and orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, few if any Muslims, Whole Foods, Chestnut Hill Mall is pretty upscale. Unfortunately, that $100K salary won't go too far so plan on making some sacrifices of some sort. Housing and overall cost of living is very high here only slightly lower than NYC or San Fran. It will be an adjustment - Massachusetts can be a hard place to live and learning to love it...well....it is not for everybody.
On $1400/month? Not happening.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 AM

44 posts, read 127,394 times
Thank you everyone for your honesty. Ok....so I get it....I really get it....but I can adapt. I have before. I have lived in so many places....I can and will have to make sacrifices. I get it.

So since you all are so honest....can you tell me what the average decent income of most Bostonians is? If my husband is at 100K a year is that low? Maybe he should be asking for more? Since the cost of living is so high there.

Ok, as regards housing. bottom line is I dont want to live in a rackety old slum house. But if an older home is what we have to have than so be it. As long as its been rehabbed and modern....you know granite counters, island in the kitchen, hardwood/tile floors, newer windows, efficient, garden tub, walk in shower, high ceilings etc. Does not have to be high end necessarily but decent. A yard is a must, for we have dogs. I love to sit on my back patio and have BBQ's and such. What will that cost in rent? I have no problem going to New Hampshire or surrounding areas to get more for my money. Hubby is used to commuting.

I just cant see myself living 30 minutes from a nice store or mall. I cant be isolated far away because I have done that before and it sucks.

Suggestions? Help? Thank you so much

Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
It isn't low, but it is hard to say anything not knowing the field. Most people I know are two income families. Getting a place with a yard and modern and all that is going to be tough, especially 30 minutes to a nice mall.

New Hampshire maybe the key, nearer one of the outlet mall type places, but that will be a long long commute. To me, what you're describing is fairly high end on a non high end income. I know a fair number of friends in the 90-100k range that live in older one bedrooms that pay more than what you're paying for rent now, with no kids, and aren't living like kings. They do fine, but their places don't have the attributes you're seeking.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't low, but it is hard to say anything not knowing the field. Most people I know are two income families. Getting a place with a yard and modern and all that is going to be tough, especially 30 minutes to a nice mall.

New Hampshire maybe the key, nearer one of the outlet mall type places. To me, what you're describing is fairly high end on a non high end income.
Exactly, and especially with a self-stated $1400/month rent.

Maybe around the Route 3 area on the MA/NH border? Or the towns immediately in NH along I-93? Maybe Atkinson, NH?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Well, $1400 is what they're paying now, I didn't see a rent range for Boston area.

Of course, out that far the well educated / modern / European style people are in slim supply.

How about a commute from the East side of Providence? Quaint shops... not much yard space... but restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
I don't see it that way necessarily. A 'huge' backyard is rather typical in much of Mass, NH, at least as compared to most planned developments in western states. Even a Newton or Arlington-sized backyard could seem pretty big in contrast to the standard yard allocation in Calif developments. Granted, Tex may be different but I shouldn't assume that she'll find the yards small. Also, a gazillion ranch houses built in the suburbs in the 50s and 60s--with some updating they can be very pleasant and not at all the "narrow and goes up" style of house the OP dislikes. But they won't be 3,000 sf either! She likes being near affluence-- no shortage of that in Mass. Also ice skating, flea markets, amusement parks (think Canobie), coastal lifestyles (?), nature, trees, mountains, lakes, ocean (what's the TX appeal then?) Also good restaurants, nightlife, shopping centers-- plenty of all of that around here. Not too many students, so stay out of Brighton, Cambridge, and Somerville. $100K isn't a huge income but not tiny either. However, the proceeds from a house sold in Texas won't go far in Massachusetts so that will be the challenge. If they live like conservative Jews I guess they can be anywhere--no transportation restrictions on the Sabbath. If home-schooling then schools don't matter and a less expensive town may be fine.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Fair enough, but are you getting a 4 bedroom (3 kids!) Arlington or Newton house for $2000k rent or so? And a fairly modern one at that?

If you are, the owner is nuts and way under pricing their property.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 PM

44 posts, read 127,394 times
here is whats tough....the fact is that the South is way cheaper than the North.

In Florida I have a condo that is steps from the beach, 2 bedrooms, terrace, close to everything I need, life is great....only paying $800 a month. ITs paradise. But its small townish....I have to travel an hour to get to Orlando where all the good shopping and restaurants and night life is. I hate that. You get tired of the beach after a while and old people. LOL

In Texas, I own a home, 3000 sq ft. Huge backyard fenced in, (the yard could fit an olympic sized pool), in a beautiful subdivision with a synagogue 5 min away, great shopping and strip malls only 10 min away and the big city life with all its amenities only 30 min away. My mortgage payment is only $1250 plus taxes and insurance and the sale price of my home if I were to sell it now would be about $160,000.

When I lived in other places everything was relatively the same cost of living give or take a few.

Never lived in NYC, or CALI because of the cost of living.

NOw Chicago and Toronto I have lived there....but in the suburbs of Chicagoland you can get what we are used to easy....there are plenty of suburbs that offer low affordable and nice upperclass lifestyles....Toronto too....so I guess I am just hoping to find some gem, desireable up and coming area outside of Boston that would attract young middle class families with kids

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
h
Never lived in NYC, or CALI because of the cost of living.

NOw Chicago and Toronto I have lived there....but in the suburbs of Chicagoland you can get what we are used to easy....there are plenty of suburbs that offer low affordable and nice upperclass lifestyles....Toronto too....so I guess I am just hoping to find some gem, desireable up and coming area outside of Boston that would attract young middle class families with kids

I've lived in Chicago (Wicker Park) and SF (Inner Richmond) and Boston. Boston is closer to SF than Chicago price wise. It just is. Chicago is super cheap for a major metropolitan area in the North.

Boston is older and well established. The towns within an hour have been developed and lived in for a couple of hundred years before much of the burbs in Midwestern, Western, etc cities were developed (for the most part).

Maybe try Maynard, especially if you home school. Not really upper middle class though, but it is going that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts