Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:35 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Fireworks are illegal in Mass. If the Police are not enforcing the law then there is a problem. I think many police forces tend to turn a blind eye to fireworks around the 4th unless kids are shooting them at cars and people etc.. You have a case if these people are causing a disturbance at 2 am. Most towns have noise ordinances to stop loud music, parties, etc..
I like fireworks and used to shoot them off in a safe manner over a lake. What really bugs me today are all the people that have them (like your neighbor) who shoots them off with no regard for where they might land. Imagine one of their fireworks going off course landing on your roof and it starts a fire.
I say let the neighbors have some fun but 11, 12 or 2 am you are entitled to your quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Fireworks in Massachusetts, throughout Massachusetts, are illegal. You can't buy them, you can't light them off. Only licensed professionals are allowed to have them.

I think that the OP is referring to the bright lights from some fireworks--some are extremely bright and some are EXTREMELY loud. Some people really do have reactions to loud, sudden noises and are light sensitive-my daughter is one of those (she's now 22, and wears earplugs to fireworks displays--has been super noise and light sensitive due to Lyme Disease (one of the many symptoms that you don't often hear about.

BTW, I now live in New Hampshire where fireworks shot from backyards are a common occurrence. My dog panics & paces as soon as they start and happily, there are no 'competitions' among my neighbors, and it's usually just a 1- or 15 minute display on a Saturday night, but many people keep a supply on hand to light off a few after every winning Red Sox, Patriots & Bruins game (ahem, my neighbor).

Note to the OP: sorry, I don't know of a town that strictly enforces the no fireworks rule. Sorry.
I did not know that about Lyme disease. Now I do! Also a lot of autistics have tremendous problems with fireworks. They can easily cause sensory overload. While avoiding fireworks shows is easy my heart breaks for those who can not escape it in their own homes.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I did not know that about Lyme disease. Now I do! Also a lot of autistics have tremendous problems with fireworks. They can easily cause sensory overload. While avoiding fireworks shows is easy my heart breaks for those who can not escape it in their own homes.
Another group who often cannot stand fireworks are war veterans. Military people with PTSD.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Another group who often cannot stand fireworks are war veterans. Military people with PTSD.
I remember reading in the recent Globe profile on the Richards family - who lost so much in the Marathon bombing - about how fireworks triggered so much.

For anyone who just can't be around fireworks one option is to go camping - maybe not in the Live Free or Die state but anywhere that is fairly isolated or is on protected land (e.g. national park, conservation land) where fireworks would be unlikely to occur. I spent one July 4th in the Adirondacks and all was dark and quiet.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 AM

There are announcements now on the radio about not transporting fireworks through Massachusetts. Police are supposed to be on the alert. But why are they allowing fireworks to be set off by non licensed people in backyards and streets? As I said before it's only a minor annoyance to me but some people are really bothered by them and oh--they are ILLEGAL.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
There are announcements now on the radio about not transporting fireworks through Massachusetts. Police are supposed to be on the alert. But why are they allowing fireworks to be set off by non licensed people in backyards and streets? As I said before it's only a minor annoyance to me but some people are really bothered by them and oh--they are ILLEGAL.

I've saw the blinking signs on the highways last weekend.

Yes, it is illegal, but personally, if the police don't have anything better to do than chase kids firing off some bottle rockets, then there is something wrong and their staffing levels are too high. Jaywalking is illegal too, if I see some cop making that a priority issue I'd be right p*ssed off.

I live next to a small park. There are some fireworks at this time, and basketball playing past the posted park closing time. I also get up at 5/5:30. Does it stink sometimes? Sure. But damn, if I become one of "those" people I could never live with myself.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:57 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
they are ILLEGAL.
Everything is illegal in Massachusetts. In fact, you probably need a license to die here.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-25-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Everything is illegal in Massachusetts. In fact, you probably need a license to die here.

Personally...I don't care. I'll be vacationing in ME and NH where it's legal and we set them off all summer long.
Well, it's kinda fun to sit on the beach and watch fireworks over the ocean. FREE. No danger either.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
Oddly we have been getting fliers in the mail from at least one fireworks vendor - can't remember who or where since I tossed it with the rest of the ads but since I live on the south shore well away from the NH border I don't know what their game is.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Well, it's kinda fun to sit on the beach and watch fireworks over the ocean. FREE. No danger either.

Then by all means go ahead and do that.

It's not enough for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts