Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,999 times

Advertisements

My family and I love the Cape and we are seriously considering a move there. I've read most if not all of the posts on this forum detailing the issues on the Cape - lack of young families, drugs, crime, etc. We have three young children and I'm most concerned by the drugs and crime issues. Are the problems limited to certain areas or does it impact your life no matter what part of the Cape you live on? How prevalent are drugs at the high school level?

I was born and raised in central MA and my husband and I settled back here almost 10 years ago. We like the area but find it kind of dull. We also own a house in East Dennis and that is where we are thinking about living year round. We would probably send the kids to school in Brewster, as I've read that the schools are good there. I would also consider private school if anyone could recommend some good ones? My husband works from home and I stay at home with the kids, so jobs aren't really a factor in our decision. We love the beach and the outdoors in general and never seem to be bored when we are there, no matter what the season. We don't know anyone who lives there year round, apart from our neighbors, but I hope we would meet other families through school and recreational activities. I think we could be happy there but I want to weigh all the pros and cons before coming to a decision. Any advice/input/suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I live on Cape Cod and work in the real estate industry.
It is true there is a drug problem and crime that is usually fueled by addicts but I think you can find that almost anywhere USA. You and your kids need to be smart and stay away from bad influences and you will be OKay. There are many things to do on Cape year round especially if you are a nature lover Sadly for many kids they do get bored and turn to alcohol or drugs for fun but once again this is a common problem everywhere.
As for crime there are parts of Hyannis which is more or less a city and that comes with the typical city problems. There are really nice areas of Hyannis and other spots that are not so nice.
My one concern is good paying jobs and that is the number one factor when it comes to the young families leaving. As you know housing and pretty much everything else on Cape carries a premium. If your husband can continue working from home with his current job than that is great.
East Dennis is a nice area and very central to everything.
I say why not, come on down to the Cape full time.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
I moved my kids to the Cape around middle school age. It was a great decision for us. That having been said, first and foremost, you said you are outdoorsy and you have been here off season and don't get bored. That's a good thing. There is always something to do on Cape, you just have to be open to the fact that the Cape during the off season isn't what I call "Disneyfied"- a place that provides constant stimulation and mindless entertainment. There are some people who just can't deal with that but it sounds like you can. There are arts, theater, nature, volunteer and athletic programs for kids on Cape. I love that my kids would take off fishing for a day or pull together a group of kids for a pick up street hockey or pond hockey game. Social media made it easy. A group tweet and suddenly a dozen kids are meeting up for fun. There is no truth to those who drone on about drugs and alcohol being the only recreation for people off season.

Drugs in high school. It starts in middle school with pot and alcohol. It is as problematic on the Cape as it is anywhere. I actually saw it in the schools earlier when we lived off Cape than I did here. I'm not trying to preach nor do I claim to be an expert but here is what I know after having gotten one successfully through high school and having worked with troubled teens: Can your kids get through their childhood unscathed? Absolutely. Know your kid, know what drives them and you can avoid the pitfalls. Some are seeking acceptance, some a thrill, some to escape. There are always a few kids who regardless of how hard the parents try, they get into trouble. But for the most part, those who did get in deep with drugs and alcohol had either negligent or enabling permissive parents. Some lived in gated communities others lived in subsidized housing. Drug and alcohol use among youth knows no socioeconomic boundaries.

DY is tough. During the off season there is a shift in the population and crime and drugs are a big issue. That does not mean your neighborhood will be affected but I would encourage you to follow through with your plan to send your kids to school elsewhere. I am not saying a motivated kid can't do well in DY but putting your motivated child in a better school district will only benefit them.

You will definitely meet other like minded families when you enroll your kids in programs and school and you will develop friendships. It's a great place to live and while there will always modern day problems that will exist on Cape, there is definitely an old fashioned sensibility and sense of stewardship that exists here that you don't see in many other communities. Good luck with your move! I hope you enjoy the Cape as much as we do!

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 07-22-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,999 times
Thank you so much for your responses! Beachcomber, it is scary to think about kids dealing with drugs and alcohol in middle school, but you are right, it happens everywhere.

Do you have any recommendations regarding schools? Do any of the Catholic schools on the Cape have a good reputation?

Thanks again!!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Hi Maria, I know quite a few kids who went to Pope John Paul HS in Hyannis and they seemed to like it and the parents seemed please. Many cited "better environment" as a reason for that choice. However, I do know that some brought that environment with them and this year and there were issues that some many thought only happened in *gasp* public schools. Not so much. As the school grows I think they will deal with that more often and the situations that come up will be less guarded secrets than in the past. I know that Sandwich saw many kids go as freshman this year but we also got many students back from there as well. I have heard that academically they are not as challenging as the better schools on Cape but I have nothing to back it up other than hearsay. Sturgis is a charter school on Cape that is highly regarded but that is high school as well. As far as lower grades, I only know Sandwich schools. My kids attended Wing which was a great experience. That will be closing and we will now have a grade reconfiguration of K-2, 3-6 and a grade 7&8 STEM Academy at the high school. Maybe someone from down Cape or mid Cape can chime in on schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts