Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

Hi there, new to this forum.

My family lives in Boston, and we are running out of space and are considering a move to the 'burbs. Family of 5, 3 kids 7 to 10yo. One child with reading disability, so SpEd is important, as are schools. We are mediocre on sports. We like them, but only if they are FUN vs competitive crazy; my kids are not olympians. I would like to do other things too, like boys and girl scouts, or a Boys&Girls club or Y.

I am completely paranoid of feeling isolated, so I don't want to go to a rural setting. We are used to walking everywhere. We have many friends in town, so I do want to be reasonably close to Boston for visiting, but we don't need to commute here. We are lucky that the neighborhood we are in is a true community - everyone knows everyone else; people are very friendly, very social. I would very much like to replicate this neighborliness.

I absolutely love the feel of Winchester. For me it would be ideal if we could live close to the center, the train is there, as my kids get older they could walk or take public transportation places instead of driving all the time and to every single place. BUT - - to live in Winchester, I feel like I'd definitely be compromising on space (big houses with yards are $$$$) and at that point - why leave the city at all?

We are starting to ponder, where could we move a little further out, to a town that is a true community? Is there a town that has it all?

Where do I even begin to explore, and how do I go about this? I have a year to figure it out.

Thoughts? I welcome help, advice and questions.

PS - I love the ocean. I can live without it, but I do love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
How much $$ you're willing to spend is a huge factor and whether you need to commute to Boston daily (if so, where?).

Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
You don't mention a budget, but Melrose, Wakefield and Reading all offer a similar in-town experience - with access to public transit - as Winchester but with a lower cost entry point.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM

You know, we're kind of all over the place with $$. Obviously less spent is better, I'd like to spend 750/800 and then buy a summer rental. But we could go all the way up to 1M

No need to commute to Boston

Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imposter_Mom View Post
You know, we're kind of all over the place with $$. Obviously less spent is better, I'd like to spend 750/800 and then buy a summer rental. But we could go all the way up to 1M

No need to commute to Boston
If not Boston then where? For example I would rather commute from Newton to Boston than from Winchester to Needham, so even if you're not commuting into the city, a suburb to suburb commute can be even worse.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM

229 posts, read 384,525 times
$800K - $1 million will get you a pretty nice house in Winchester (but you didn't say how big a house you want). However, that won't be adjacent to the town center (more expensive), unless you're willing to look in the Lynch elementary side of town.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM

417 posts, read 733,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
$800K - $1 million will get you a pretty nice house in Winchester (but you didn't say how big a house you want). However, that won't be adjacent to the town center (more expensive), unless you're willing to look in the Lynch elementary side of town.
I agree, I'd look in Wincester with that budget unless you want a very big house that's completely upgraded. Two sets of friends bought in Wincester in the last year-ish and both have beautiful (and actually large) homes. One of the lots though is smaller with a small-ish back yard. I'd still look in Wincester with that budget since you mention you like the town.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Brookline, Lexington, Arlington and Belmont also offer very walkable lifestyle, and community feel, especially for parents with kids in public schools.

Lexington and Belmont have great reputation with schools, safety, and being very family friendly. Belmont is very close to both Cambridge and Boston with trolley, buses, and commuter rail. It is more "connected" than Lexington. Neighborhoods vary from very dense to more spread out. It does not have huge commercial base and like Winchester relies on property taxes for most of its town budget. Most people move there for easy commute, ability to walk to schools, parks, and stores, and for of course for schools.

Lexington is more removed, with an amazing little downtown and very healthy tax base. It has excellent amenities for all ages and stages. Seems like very well run town. Pricey, but very well worth the look if commute works.

Arlington is getting very popular with people who like you want walkable lifestyle, community, but also little bit more space. Its location is amazing, and will only grow in popularity. Schools are getting very good feedback. For what you are looking to find, it is an excellent fit in many ways.

Brookline is one of my favorite places for semi-urban style of living. Safe, great schools, very interesting neighbors. Unfortunately it is priced very high. Still, it is worth your look unless dead-set on a big yard and big house.

Winchester is very nice little town. I find it very sleepy, and think that you might find it boring very soon. But, that might be my skewed perception. Be aware that there is no municipal trash pick-up in Winchester and budget accordingly.

This is not the case with most other places mentioned.

You could also check on Hingham and Cohasset.

Your commute needs will define what area fits best. Coming from a very convenient lifestyle, do not get seduced by home that might become PITA with complicated commute and shopping, and just for a sake of more space. Less is often lot more.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:37 PM

204 posts, read 286,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Belmont is very close to both Cambridge and Boston with trolley, buses, and commuter rail.
I've seen you mention the Belmont trolley a few times-- I assume you mean the 73 bus that ran on overhead electrical lines instead of gas/diesel? If you want an update, they've ripped out all the lines in preparation for the Trapelo road work. I don't think there are plans to put them back in. That bus has been a regular bus for a while now, so there's only bus/commuter rail for Belmont. The bus service is pretty good though (I used to be able to get from my house off Belmont St to my job at New England Medical--now Tufts?--downtown in 30 min door to door. Harvard Sq was a 10 min bus ride). All good points otherwise.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Commute is crazy easy - either out of town traveling, or from home. We are lucky.

I wanted to entertain the possibility of a yard that's 1/2 to a full acre, with maybe a pool. I doubt I'll find that in the MetroWest area... and 3000 sq feet would be a dream. Part of that is due to needing at least one home office. Two separate work areas would be better.

I would rather go north than south. Rather go up 3N or 128/95 than down the Pike.

Maybe I'm being too broad? Again, thanks for your suggestions. It's kind of overwhelming to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts