Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I had a Honda S2000 in my bachelor days. OMG I miss that car. The problem is really the airbag. It's not safe for little people to be there if it goes off.

What are you thinking of buying?
Funny you mention that. I've been jumping around a bit like every car-ADD guy, but I think I've decided on a pre-owned S2000. I've always loved the way it looks and drives and I'm pretty sure it will be a classic one day. I had a buddy who had one in our bachelor days too. I loved that car, but could never afford one in the early 2000's. Now you can pick one up in good condition for under $20k! If you currently pay for daycare, you'll soon find out that after your youngest kid goes off to elementary school you suddenly have an extra $1000-3000/mo to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Massachusetts does not have a "front seat law". However...
  • Massachusetts Law requires children to ride in child safety seats until they are 5 years old and weigh 40 pounds.
  • Infants under 20 pounds and one year old should ride in a rear-facing child safety seat.
  • Children who weigh 20-40 pounds and who are one to four years of age should ride in a forward-facing child safety seat.
  • Children between 40 and 80 pounds, and less than 4’9’’ tall, should ride in a booster seat. A booster seat helps the seat belt to fit correctly and safely and gives children more comfort and visibility.
  • Children 12 years old and under should sit in the rear seat whenever possible to reduce their risk of death and serious injury.

Enhanced Child Passenger Safety Law

Most newer vehicles do have a switch to disable the front passenger seat airbag for this very purpose.
This is what I saw too. It was on the MA government website so I thought it was a front seat law, but now when I look at it again it seems like just a suggestion. I'll have to look into disabling the airbag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Just because you do not believe? Every state has laws, and yes MA laws say 12. Feel free to check for yourself before posting your beliefs.
"I don't think" as in, I don't know of anything to the contrary. Not "I am speculating" or "I will wish upon a star there is no law". I was unable to find any laws, and others have posted information in support of no law for those 12 and under.

Can you provide any evidence that there is a law on the books?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Sincere Apologies, I do stand corrected. You are right, no law but recommendation. Law is strict and unambiguous for kids 8 and younger needing to be 57" in height to be able to use adult seat belts with recommendation not to put them up front until 12. I read about this issue rather recently on the internet that claimed it is a law. My bad.

Here is a good link with best explanation of ages in stages in MA I could find.

In Massachusetts, how old should a child be in order to sit?

State Child Passenger Safety Laws

Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,887,043 times
In states where there is a front seat law (Michigan has one) say that they have to sit in the rear seat IF THE CAR HAS ONE.

Quote:
Children younger than age 4 to ride in a car seat in the rear seat if the vehicle has a rear seat. If all available rear seats are occupied by children under 4, then a child under 4 may ride in a car seat in the front seat. A child in a rear-facing car seat may only ride in the front seat if the airbag is turned off.
My daughter has ridden in regular cab pickups and sports cars and been seen by police...

Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 PM

392 posts, read 919,007 times
Police departments usually have a person who helps with car seat installation for new parents. They should know everything there is to know about child safety seats and laws. Maybe you could talk to them?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Funny you mention that. I've been jumping around a bit like every car-ADD guy, but I think I've decided on a pre-owned S2000. I've always loved the way it looks and drives and I'm pretty sure it will be a classic one day. I had a buddy who had one in our bachelor days too. I loved that car, but could never afford one in the early 2000's. Now you can pick one up in good condition for under $20k! If you currently pay for daycare, you'll soon find out that after your youngest kid goes off to elementary school you suddenly have an extra $1000-3000/mo to play around with.
It's a phenomenal car to drive. One of the smoothest transmissions I've ever had the pleasure of using and straight from the factory the throw of the shifter is extremely short and precise. The engine itself can be best described as frenetic. It spins to RPMs that it's contemporaries never could match. Plus it was incredibly light so it made the most of the 240hp the engine produced. Every time I drove it, I would get out the car with a huge grin on my face. It was just such a pleasure. The ability to drop the top on a hot summer day didn't hurt one bit either. Because it was a Honda the maintenance costs were extremely low and it was built to last.

What I didn't like about the car . . . the cabin is pretty cramped. I'm not a small person and so it was pretty tight for me. I'm 6' tall and would have loved to have been able to put the seat further back but I had it back all the way. The seats are pretty bolstered too so if you're a bit on the wide side it's going to feel tight in that direction too. The center tunnel gets REAL hot too. Being that you're already crammed in you really have no choice but to suffer the heat that comes off it. The car lacks creature comforts too. It has a radio with a CD player and A/C and power everything so it's not exactly an early model Dodge Viper. However, it doesn't have some of the things a modern car does like GPS, iPod integration, Bluetooth speaker phone, etc. The car is absolutely worthless during the winter too. It doesn't have traction control and the ultra high performance summer tires on it turn into hockey pucks on even a cold day. I spun mine through an intersection on a cold day because I was trying to make the light (stupid ).

The bottom line is: this is purely a car made for those that enjoy driving. Ideally, it's only a summertime car too. If you're looking for something with more comfort I would buy a used Boxster. Personally, I would love a Dodge Viper roadster but so many of the used ones have been smashed to pieces and rebuilt. Plus, I still have two kids in daycare.

Oh I almost forgot . . . I was involved with the local S2K owner's club and I posted a lot on the S2KI.com site when I was an owner. I do remember some people modifying their car so that it did have an airbag turn off for the passenger side. However, I don't think the car ever had one from the factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts