Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM

78 posts, read 92,188 times

Advertisements

So in many ways, this is probably like many of the "Where should I move" threads on here, but I'm kind of looking for something specific.

I currently live in a really cool small town in the middle of the St Louis metro area called Kirkwood (check it out, it's amazing.) And I love it here, but I worked as an interior designer in L.A. before moving here and there just isn't a market in St Louis for the type of design I want to do (St Louis is very Pottery Barn and I'm more Elle Decor). My wife's company is based just north of Boston and we're considering moving there, but we both essentially work from home, so geography isn't too important.

So like a lot of people, I'd like recommendations on the best places to live in the area with a family (within a couple of hours of Boston proper if possible).

Our income (not counting mine because I don't know what it'll be for a while if we move!) is roughly 150k.

I have 2 kids and I'm not looking to put them in private school, so decent public schools are a must.

Here's my other kind of specific criteria though...I HATE brand new cookie cutter developments. I prefer more mixed use areas that are actual neighborhoods/towns that have developed over the years, not "subdivisions" in the new sense of the word. Places that have character and personality. I also like towns that have a little central downtown area, not just big box stores on the interstate exit.

I'd also like to find an area that is perhaps a little more artsy, liberal, hippy inclined but not trashy.

I know that an income in our range isn't all that great in the northeast, but are there any places out there that meet some or most of these criteria that we could actually afford to buy a house in?

If not, I appreciate any suggestions for other small cities/towns in the northeast that might be within driving distance of a major "design" city that I could pull clients from.

If you made it through all that, you rock! Thanks in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Artsy, fartsy at that income is more then likely west in MA like in the Berkshires. I doubt it can be found within 50 miles of Boston. I could be wrong.

MikePRU has his finger on the area. Ask him to respond.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Newburyport and Salem come to mind. Western Mass would also have quite a few options, like Northampton and Easthampton.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM

78 posts, read 92,188 times
Ha! I guess my post did come off as a little obnoxious and artsy, fartsy. Sorry. That's not entirely what I meant, I just find it difficult to write out what it is specifically that I look for in a town. In an ideal world, I would like to be around people that I have things in common with.

As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself attracted to more hipster dominated areas to an extent. It's kind of important for my business to live around potential clients! My challenge is that I'm not wealthy by any standard, but I need to live "money adjacent" if possible. ;-)

Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I was thinking Newburyport too. Maybe Arlington as it's a little more "hipster" and I find a lot of the Cambridge/Somerville crowd migrates there when they decide they need a house.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Definitely give Newburyport some consideration. Plenty of money, and definitely not a cookie cutter town. The historic downtown with it's brick walkways and courtyard, with a variety of independent vs. chain stores/restaurants is part of the charm. Artsy festivals include sculpture exhibits at Maudslay, open theater, riverfront music festivals, attracting residents and visitors alike. More yuppie than hippie. Hipster? Maybe a bit, but I think you'll find that vibe closer to Boston. The open waterfront is a fun and eclectic mix of people enjoying the boardwalk, listening to the various musicians that are strumming or drumming, or planned concerts during the Summer Music Series. Boats drifting past, with little kids onboard waving to the little kids on the walkway, dogs on leashes, people eating ice cream. It's a nice place to be...

Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
MA is lot more traditional and conservative overall, and I am not sure that you will not find yourself in the same situation as in St. Louis.We are very into Pottery Barn/Crate and Barrel/New England Colonial esthetics and I am not sure if your "Elle" decor would be very sought after. Artsy-edgy people in this parts of the woods often go for deliberate bohemian/worldstock/ old hippie vibe.

We are too educated to be showing off. So most like quality things "toned" down and often very traditional, or intentionally bohemian. Come and see how we dress, and you will get it. Yes there would be some pockets of potential clients, but IMHO it might be not as much different from where you coming from. Modern design is not very exciting, and there is some around. Or at least attempts. Homes are too old for some of the esthetics in the magazines.

I am thinking that Miami, Atlanta, or California would be better for what you want to do. Better weather, different lifestyle with plenty more space to play with (here homes are old, often dark, and small, with multitasking rooms and smaller furniture). Other areas in the US have probably more disposable income for such an undertaking as well. COL in this area are very very high, even for well to do.

Just something to chew on. I am not trying to discourage you.
Your best bet is the Boston's downtown crowd. I think that is where you would be finding best clients.

Good luck.

Last edited by kingeorge; 11-04-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Newburyport is a good suggestion but if you don't actually need to be in MA, you might consider Portsmouth, Dover or Exeter, NH, as well.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Newburyport is a good suggestion but if you don't actually need to be in MA, you might consider Portsmouth, Dover or Exeter, NH, as well.
I was just thinking a few hrs away from Boston leaves you alot of options (especially if your trips arent rush hr traffic). Portsmouth jumped out right away.

Maybe Portland too? Not sure about the schools up there but i think you will get more bang for your buck. A lot of character homes too.

Newburyport is nice too but maybe too expensive.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 AM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
Good comments here. Of note:
- For your own home, Newburyport is worth looking at.
- Not sure that from a professional perspective this moves makes sense. There will be pockets of "Elle Decor" in downtown Boston and in some of the more "nouveau" monied suburbs, but the competition is established and fierce there (are you that good?) and it's not typical of New England homes and design tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts