Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,738,814 times

Advertisements

I have an electric lawnmower and will never go back to gas. I tried a Snow Joe electric snowblower before and it was kind of useless. The Ego snowblower gets decent reviews, but I have a feeling they are from people out west with soft fluffy snow.

Does anyone recommend an electric snowblower for use in MA or are they all useless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 02:19 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,829,402 times
I use the Toro in MA when the snow is 8+ inches and not super wet and heavy. Less than that, it's not worth the hassle. It still takes some muscles to push it thru the snow but it helps enough to avoid having to pay someone to do it. When I get to the hard stuff at the end of the driveway, this thing is useless. BTW, I have a short 2 car length driveway... more than that, I'd get a more powerful one which would mean gas blower.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I use the Toro in MA when the snow is 8+ inches and not super wet and heavy. Less than that, it's not worth the hassle. It still takes some muscles to push it thru the snow but it helps enough to avoid having to pay someone to do it. When I get to the hard stuff at the end of the driveway, this thing is useless. BTW, I have a short 2 car length driveway... more than that, I'd get a more powerful one which would mean gas blower.
Does it work if it's wet and heavy?

Old 06-13-2020, 06:41 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Never used an electric snowthrower, but it sure would be nice to have something that's low maintenance, and with quick, ultra-reliable starting. Apparently they are fairly lightweight and manual push.

Currently, I have a small-but-mighty Ariens Platinum-24 EFI (gas). Alhough it has electric start and EFI, you can still have problems with bad gas, etc. But once it's running, it has plenty of power, and even with its modest 24-in clearing width, it weighs 275lb for stout traction, and it's self-propelled so the motor does most of the work. It will clear 16+ inches of snow, even heavy snow, and while it won't fly through it, it will also chew through the dense, icy berm the plow leaves at the end of the driveway.

From what I've read of the electric models, they are okay with light snow - 10 inches or so. Probably need to be sure you stay on top of things in a heavy storm, and I suspect the snowplow berm is going to be a shovel-only exercise.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:49 AM

https://www.freeportmaine.com/sites/...ow_plowing.png

Has anyone tried this to prevent the snowplow berm, does it work? Maybe I can do that with the electric thrower.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:25 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I love my Ariens Platnium 30. It’s a beast with heavy wet snow, especially the driveway berm. I bought it after years of dealing with underpowered snowblowers and spending hours outside clearing the driveway while the neighbors were done in 30 mins. Now, I’m done before the neighbors. The 414cc engine will hurl heavy snow a good 30 feet or more. Quite impressive.

I can’t imagine an electric having the grunt to get through the heavy wet stuff. That battery will drain very quickly under that load. I have debated an electric just for clearing the 1-2” of light fluffy nuisance snow we get.

I do have a smaller 5hp 21” snowblower I use for the small stuff although I started using the 30” blower for everything since it’s so quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

Has anyone tried this to prevent the snowplow berm, does it work? Maybe I can do that with the electric thrower.
Yup, I always try that. It doesn’t work though when the heavy snow comes in overnight and you wake up to a berm

Old 06-13-2020, 01:01 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:

I do that. I go about 25' or so up the street in order to keep the plow snot away. It's effective is dependent on how wide they plowed when I do it.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:59 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,829,402 times
Quote:
Does it work if it's wet and heavy?
no. that's why I said I don't use it for wet and heavy

Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Do not buy an electric snowblower in MA ... even if you live in a temperate area like the south shore.

Snowblowing can be a miserable experience even with good equipment. IMO, for an average sized driveway a hydro 28" Ariens or Honda will net you a decade+ of reliable and enjoyable (relative) snow removal.

I personally have a Honda 1332AAT (32" track drive) and will never own anything less if living in a snow belt. I'd maybe drop to a 26 or 28" if the drive was considerable smaller. I spent too many years tolerating MTD garbage which had the right specs, but poor R&D and design. My 5'6" wife can operate our a 32" Honda on a steep a grade - it's a very well designed/engineered machine which make snow removal little more than an inconvenience, but not torture (like my old machines).

My "testing grounds". The drive section shown takes <20 minutes evening with 12"+ storms. Snow removal of the parking area takes another 25-35.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:59 AM

604 posts, read 562,809 times
We have a small area to plow (basically 1-2 parking spots and about 50ft of walkway). The Snow Joe is perfect for it. It's not worth dealing with gasoline and a heavy snow blower for our need. I just find that you need to go out with it before the snow is much more than 4-6 inches and take a cut. Then you recharge it and go out again.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it for rural living with a really huge parking lot. I'd just hire a plow guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts