Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:32 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's ok. It's no Armsby Abbey. It doesn't have the heavy hitters.
Yeah, I meant the area as in Marlborough and surrounding suburbs. Driving into Worcester definitely opens up a lot more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
It has a purposefully much different selection. They have a big focus on central ma craft and USA craft beers in general. And more of a pub as the name aptly implies, not the most impressive food selection but decent bar food. Armsby is decidedly more hipster but awesome nonetheless.

I've been staying in Sudbury for the past few weeks during a major renovation and Hudson has been my salvation. I'm 27 for the op's reference, lots of younger professionals out and about in Hudson.
I've noticed the same thing recently and was quite surprised at how many young professionals were in downtown Hudson. It's a completely different place from when I used to live there ~10 years ago. That town may be on the upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

I've noticed the same thing recently and was quite surprised at how many young professionals were in downtown Hudson. It's a completely different place from when I used to live there ~10 years ago. That town may be on the upswing.

I wonder if they've been priced out of Maynard

Old 02-25-2015, 01:47 PM

787 posts, read 780,759 times
Quote:
Is Maynard pretty pricey?

My sister and her boyfriend just moved back to MA from CT. My sister is trying to sell her house in CT and then get a place in MA. Currently they're living with her boyfriend's mother.

He works in Hudson and she works in Ayer. I told them to check out Maynard. I think they said they're budget is $250K, but we'll see. Maybe it's too expensive.

She has been looking at Lunenburg and Leominster. :/

Old 02-25-2015, 03:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Is Maynard pretty pricey?

My sister and her boyfriend just moved back to MA from CT. My sister is trying to sell her house in CT and then get a place in MA. Currently they're living with her boyfriend's mother.

He works in Hudson and she works in Ayer. I told them to check out Maynard. I think they said they're budget is $250K, but we'll see. Maybe it's too expensive.

She has been looking at Lunenburg and Leominster. :/
At $250K, you're largely priced out of the 495 belt. Lancaster, IMO, is the last remaining "value" ... Nashoba school district, relatively easy access to 2/495/Devens, and a decent ranch can be had for mid-200Ks. The town is quite desolate though.

Maynard prices have jumped some, but an older fixer upper can still be had for under $300k. It will be on a postage stamp lot though. $250K will only buy you a townhouse/condo in Maynard or a serious fixer-upper.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Default apples and oranges

Quote:
No, it's just a different scene. Maynard these days is very Union Square expatriate and actually getting a bit cliquey as all the newcomers seem to know one another.

It'll be interesting to see how Maynard evolves in the next five years with the clocktower's major tenant Monster now fully moved to Weston. Word on the street is that downtown Maynard will develop the clocktower into luxury lofts. With the development of the Shoppes shopping center, I can see Maynard becoming more suburban like Littleton and Westford.

Hudson and Marlborough are a different kind of cool. With that area around route 9/ 495 / 290 populating with more employers, I see both as very much uptrending.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
There are many pubs in Marlborough, but Hudson which is a sleepy suburb actually has the best one in the area if you're a craft beer fan: Horseshoe Pub.
Quote:
That's ok. It's no Armsby Abbey. It doesn't have the heavy hitters.
Why must it be either/or?

Something doesn't have to be someone's favorite for it to be a worthwhile gem.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Why must it be either/or?

Something doesn't have to be someone's favorite for it to be a worthwhile gem.

No, but it has to be worth going to.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
No, but it has to be worth going to.
Maybe not for you, but maybe for other people.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Well shoot, under that low standard almost everyplace is good and a gem, even McDonalds.

Everybody and everything should get a reward!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well shoot, under that low standard almost everyplace is good and a gem, even McDonalds.

Everybody and everything should get a reward!

So people other than you = low. Ok, I get it.

Now, on my way to MickeyDs hopping in my gas guzzling suburban car. I'm going to make a night of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts