Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,696,474 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I lived in Somerville. I recall East Somerville seemed somehow like its own little town in Somerville. If I drove through, I got strange looks that I didn't get in central Somerville or West Somerville, like I didn't belong.

East Somerville strikes me as being quite convenient to Boston.

Anyone else have this experience? Is this still the case, or have things opened up a little more these days?

Last edited by ormari; 02-25-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I don't know what you mean by strange looks.

I live in East Somerville. I have for four years. I also, previously, lived in Davis Sq, Porter, and Union up closer to the High School. It's more affordable. It's more working class. But I can walk to Sullivan T in 10 minutes and Union in 10 minutes. It's more working class, but tons of professionals as well. I have a community garden and like the neighborhood.

I guess I look like a professional and never recall getting "strange looks" outside of a couple of times I dropped into Michael's Bar on Washington wearing a tie.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Timberline I thought you were a girl, hehe

Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know what you mean by strange looks.

I live in East Somerville. I have for four years. I also, previously, lived in Davis Sq, Porter, and Union up closer to the High School. It's more affordable. It's more working class. But I can walk to Sullivan T in 10 minutes and Union in 10 minutes. It's more working class, but tons of professionals as well. I have a community garden and like the neighborhood.

I guess I look like a professional and never recall getting "strange looks" outside of a couple of times I dropped into Michael's Bar on Washington wearing a tie.
So we have lived in some of the same areas, though I was gone from Somerville entirely by the time you moved in to East Somerville. I guess what I mean by strange looks is this: at some point, I was looking to purchase a house in East Somerville, and drove/walked around the neighborhood looking at places. I did the same in Winter Hill, near the High School, and toward Porter. In most neighborhoods nobody paid any mind to me. But in East Somerville I drew attention, for reasons I can't explain. My car was nothing fancy, in good shape. I wasn't running around in a tie.

It's just that, at the time, somehow the vibe made me feel like an outsider in a way I hadn't in the rest of Somerville. It sounds like, from your experience, that's changed. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Timberline I thought you were a girl, hehe
Not the last few times I checked.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Years ago I looked at an apartment for myself in East Somerville. Neighbors stood on the curb with folder arms glaring at me. I ended up staying in Davis.

It has changed quite a bit. For better or worse, it has gentrified with the new Assembly Square development and promises of the green line expansion.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Years ago I looked at an apartment for myself in East Somerville. Neighbors stood on the curb with folder arms glaring at me. I ended up staying in Davis.

It has changed quite a bit. For better or worse, it has gentrified with the new Assembly Square development and promises of the green line expansion.
Thank you confirming my experience was not unique.

When I moved to the area in the 90s, people told me to avoid the area. I never saw anything particularly bad about it any of the times I was there. I just felt a bit like an intruder, even when my landlord took me to the Mt. Vernon restaurant as a 'welcome to Somerville' gesture.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
What was the part they used to call Slummerville? Winter Hill?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
What was the part they used to call Slummerville? Winter Hill?

They used to call the entire thing Slummerville, or I've heard it refer to the entire city.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Somerville has been experiencing gentrification for over a decade, but over the last 3-4 years it has accelerated. Some natives aren't necessarily excited about all of the condo conversions that not only gentrify, but result in a more transient population. Sometimes you can feel the resentment when talking to them, and I have a neighbor that i have walked by 100 times but he wouldn't make eye contact with anyone that wasn't born here. That is, until i took my snow-blower to his sidewalk this winter and now he loves me. These people are a minority, and I wouldn't not move here because of it, but this situation does exist. I have 7 natives living just on my block of my street and the other 6 are very friendly, especially because we are staying long term with kids in the schools. I live in West Somerville near Porter, there may be a higher percentage of people resenting gentrification in East Somerville where it is just starting to take hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts