Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 AM

264 posts, read 389,169 times

Advertisements

A Collection of Maps | She Dreams In Digital

Interesting link, shows many statistics for states including obesity rate, incarceration rate, to high school completion rate (among many others). A pattern I noticed is that the rest of the country lags behind Massachusetts (and this area of the country in general) in almost all of the categories. While obviously we are far from perfect it seems that we are doing things right for ourselves. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,262,319 times
I enjoyed this a lot! Thanks. Mass. is an awesome place to live.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Nice to live here, but I'm sure we all have our gripes about it as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Interesting collection of data. My instinct to avoid living in the Bible Belt was completely spot on! And apparently, all that hardcore christian living doesn't guarantee a good quality of life.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Well I tend to take a look at things going beyond just state and more with urban metro areas.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:20 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
This is a silly comparison. Massachusetts is a tiny state, essentially just the Greater Boston metro. It is also the whitest metro area in the country with the exception of Portland OR, a much smaller metro. Much of that incarceration rate, teen pregnancy rate and high school graduation rate is race-specific, not Massachusetts specific. MA also doesn't have much of the rural problems that come with the geographic spread of larger Southern states.

You have a bunch of private colleges here that soak up federal student loans from across the country; money that gets used in the Greater Boston area employing people and boosting real estate values. This is money that is never taken into account whenever people do a study on how much federal taxes states contribute versus receive. Similarly, a lot of federal Medicare and NIH money come to Boston area hospitals. Just look at the number of medical residents and grad students training here for peanuts relative to our population (each hospital gets $150k a year for each medical resident from Medicare, while the resident works for barely minimum wage, this is money that gets used to employ other local staff).

To use these maps to suggest that living elsewhere (like the Bible Belt) is much worse is so incredibly conceited.

Believe me, you can live pretty well in the Bible Belt and pretty much anywhere in the United States. If you can afford a $500k single family house in MA, you can likely prosper anywhere in this country and have comparable if not better standard of living. And if you can't afford a single family house here, you likely can afford it elsewhere.

Which drug is your state most likely abusing?

Are you really that perfect?

Last edited by Guineas; 03-06-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
To use these maps to suggest that living elsewhere (like the Bible Belt) is much worse is so incredibly conceited.

Believe me, you can live pretty well in the Bible Belt and pretty much anywhere in the United States.

You can, perhaps. I lived there. No thank you.

Sure, there are a couple of liveable bubbles (Nashville, Athens, etc) but in general? Nope.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM

264 posts, read 389,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You can, perhaps. I lived there. No thank you.

Sure, there are a couple of liveable bubbles (Nashville, Athens, etc) but in general? Nope.
This. And what about obesity? Does that have anything to do with race? I don't think so. Poorer, less educated people = higher rates of obesity and diabetes. It's a known fact. Sorry but it's not conceited to point out facts...MA has a higher standard of living than those states.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
This. And what about obesity? Does that have anything to do with race? I don't think so. Poorer, less educated people = higher rates of obesity and diabetes. It's a known fact. Sorry but it's not conceited to point out facts...MA has a higher standard of living than those states.

Lots of the things some people wish to point to race on are really socioeconomic issues.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
A Collection of Maps | She Dreams In Digital

Interesting link, shows many statistics for states including obesity rate, incarceration rate, to high school completion rate (among many others). A pattern I noticed is that the rest of the country lags behind Massachusetts (and this area of the country in general) in almost all of the categories. While obviously we are far from perfect it seems that we are doing things right for ourselves. Thoughts?
What do the election maps have to do with doing things right? And what changed between the time we elected Romney as governor and the State's rejection of him as president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: