Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:40 PM

8 posts, read 15,673 times

Advertisements

Interesting, Semiurbanite! Could you give me some more details about what your friends shared with you? Did they tell you what made them concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 16,230 times
I dont feel like Arlington, Newton nor salem would be an ideal pick for you.

Cons:
Arlington is depressing
Newton is depressing
Salem is also depressing
Newton is expensive
Salem has bad schools, I mean awful
Newton has HUGE SCHOOLS (Not good if you have special needs kids)
None of them are next to the ocean

Pros:
Arlington has good schools
Newton has good/meh schools
Salem has a nice downtown and rich history
All of the above have all the necessary facilities (School, Hospitals, Gas stations, etc.)

Solution:
Look into Acton, Cambridge, Natick, Lexington, Plymouth, Hull and cape cod.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Arlington, Newton and Salem are so depressing that they are some of the most desirable towns in the area. Care to explain that one?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaylandMassachusetts View Post
I dont feel like Arlington, Newton nor salem would be an ideal pick for you.

Cons:
Arlington is depressing
Newton is depressing
Salem is also depressing
Newton is expensive
Salem has bad schools, I mean awful
Newton has HUGE SCHOOLS (Not good if you have special needs kids)
None of them are next to the ocean
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Arlington, Newton and Salem are so depressing that they are some of the most desirable towns in the area. Care to explain that one?
I'm more interested in why Salem is no longer next to the ocean.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Arlington is depressing, but Natick is desirable?

Is this opposite world!?

And poor Salem losing the Atlantic, that's some mighty witchcraft..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
Winchester is terrible for public transit & driving into Boston especially in winter
Why do you think Winchester is terrible for public transit? They have a stop for the commuter rail right in town. For someone who just needs to go to Boston and back Winchester would be an ideal choice. Great safe town with good schools. Pricey yes, but is a town and not a city.

And yes forget Salem and some other mentioned places.

Manchester by the sea is cool but a much longer commute via rail into beantown than winchester. Good luck OP and hope u find what u need via this thread.

Another vote for winchester is that's it's close to Top shopping areas like the Burlington Mall and new places built right off 128 by wakefield. Another good town with commuter rail options is Wakefield and a very diverse downtown. Check out Wakefield which neighbors Winchester.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Burlington Mall is a top shopping area? When did that happen? Did it get a complete overhaul?

Salem is great, except for the schools. That would be a dealbreaker.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Burlington Mall is a top shopping area? When did that happen? Did it get a complete overhaul?

Salem is great, except for the schools. That would be a dealbreaker.
Unless u live under a rock The Burlington Mall is a top shopping area..never mind the new Wegmans and other commercial construction under way around the 3rd ave area in Burlington which is basically across the street from the Burlington Mall.

I guess it comes down what u consider a top shopping area. Sounds to me the OP has money and may prefer to shop at places like Macy's or other great places the Burlington mall offers.

Or they can visit the 3rd ave area that i mentioned which is a more open shopping area. Not a closed mall type. Just trying to grind my gears timberline742? Whatever, clearly by your quote about the mall u are and that's cool..

And Salem is great except for the number of herion addicts that live there, the number of homeless people who have no place to go. Have u been to Salem recently? I work there almost once a week as my employer owns a huge chunk of RE there and find the needles, see the homeless and understand the area.

So tell me what else do u have to say about Salem as u seem to know much about the place and why the
the Burlington Mall is so bad. I'm curious as the OP may be too. If your flaming just say it and be done with it as i don't want any part of that.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 AM

114 posts, read 323,459 times
There are actually two separate commuter rail stops in Winchester (Winchester Center and Wedgemere) plus busses, plus easy access by car to Wellington on the Orange line or Alewife on the Red line. We've lived there since 1990 - I have no idea what that comment about Winchester's access to public transportation was based on.

It's also a very short drive into Boston, although traffic obviously becomes an issue. I once timed myself when dropping off my son at the bus terminal at South Station on a Saturday morning (when there is no traffic) and did the round trip in under 25 minutes.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas144 View Post
There are actually two separate commuter rail stops in Winchester (Winchester Center and Wedgemere) plus busses, plus easy access by car to Wellington on the Orange line or Alewife on the Red line. We've lived there since 1990 - I have no idea what that comment about Winchester's access to public transportation was based on.

It's also a very short drive into Boston, although traffic obviously becomes an issue. I once timed myself when dropping off my son at the bus terminal at South Station on a Saturday morning (when there is no traffic) and did the round trip in under 25 minutes.
Me either but your spot on in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts