Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
No surprise here with this list.
I found Tewksbury and Yarmouth to be surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I found Tewksbury and Yarmouth to be surprising.
Tewksbury has had an extreme amount of drug related crime over the past few years. Although this ranking is violent crime only, one can easily spill over into the other.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:20 AM

264 posts, read 389,069 times
Brockton's a ****hole, it always has been. No surprises here.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Oak Bluffs??????

Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oak Bluffs??????
A few on the list surprised me too. Provincetown was another.

I'm not sure how they measure and weight the violent crime data for these lists; but no matter how you cut it, a single incident in a town of 3,000 - 4,000 people is going to skew data quite a bit. If there were a few bar fights between drunken tourist in Oak Bluffs or P-town that got reported to the police and arrests were made, the violent crime numbers are going to be abnormally large. More importantly, they're not going to be indicative of the overall safety of the community.

I lived in a town in Maine of around 8,000 people. One mentally disabled young man killed his father, mother, and brother. It was an awful tragedy. It also skewed crime data to the point where people were posting questions on city-data like "Why is the murder rate so high in this town." The answer was because one kid killed his family one year and the murder rate was through the roof because the population was so low. It was an isolated incident. It could explain the reason for some of the outliers on this list.

It's worth pointing out that crime data doesn't tell the whole story. Yes, it's true that places like Brockton, New Bedford, Springfield, etc. are home to more violent crime than most other communities in the Commonwealth. Too much, even. That doesn't necessarily make them more dangerous. Most of the more violent crimes aren't random. The vast majority of the murder victims in these communities have history with their killers. I wouldn't want to live in Brockton because it's run down and unattractive. I wouldn't want to live there because there is not much there from an urban amenities standpoint. I might even be concerned about property crime or theft from my car if I parked on the street frequently. However, I wouldn't worry about my safety. The threat of violent crime is so low (relatively speaking) that it doesn't really register to me. So many other things pose a much more imminent risk to my health than violent crime. Driving being the biggest. If I work in Boston (and I do), I'm safer living in a "tough" Brockton neighborhood along the commuter rail line and taking the train to work than I am driving from a "safe" suburban neighborhood in Easton. You're much more likely to be killed in an auto accident than by violent crime.

I did love the stock images though.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Tewksbury has had an extreme amount of drug related crime over the past few years. Although this ranking is violent crime only, one can easily spill over into the other.
Yeah, still surprising though. I think it was the only Boston-area town on that list. The others were all small cities. I would've expected Woburn or Billerica to have higher crime stats. <shrug>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oak Bluffs??????
I was wondering about the Cape and Island towns too, but I figure it was due to tourist crime. Some of these towns only have 5,000 year-round residents, but the summer population can increase it to 20,000. That means more crime, calculated with the 5,000 year-round resident figure on the denominator equals a higher percentage per resident.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:57 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
The top 10 are the usual suspects, but there are a lot of big surprises. Some of the small towns really got screwed by having a small handful aggravated assaults. North Brookfield? Warren? Barre? Great Barrington? WHATELY?????? These are still great places to live. I'm sure these towns were just unlucky this one year. Next year they'll probably on the lowest crime list. This can't be a trend. I mean the thought of North Brookfield or Barre going ghetto makes me chuckle.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The top 10 are the usual suspects, but there are a lot of big surprises. Some of the small towns really got screwed by having a small handful aggravated assaults. North Brookfield? Warren? Barre? Great Barrington? WHATELY?????? These are still great places to live. I'm sure these towns were just unlucky this one year. Next year they'll probably on the lowest crime list. This can't be a trend. I mean the thought of North Brookfield or Barre going ghetto makes me chuckle.
Yes, I don't even know where they are. Never heard of them until now.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I assume Great Barrington is the same situation as some of the Cape places. Tourism crime with a relatively low year round population throwing the stats out of whack.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
The Cape doesn't just suffer from the summer influx although I'm sure that explains some of the data. Like many other parts of the state/country there are drug issues which spill over all kinds of crime. It has been this way for quite awhile too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts