Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 AM

101 posts, read 123,648 times

Advertisements

Ok this isn't a moving to Chelmsford thread or anything but its me reflecting back to what I once thought of as "the worst town in the world" when I was in high school. After seeing so many other places since my HS graduation I have grown to see Chelmsford as a very exceptional town overall with good schools. I just think its most beneficial if parents move their kids there when they're young but you wanna know something, I ran into more places post Chelmsford it seems in my adult life where adult cliques were worse than how I'd imagine them in Chelmsford. Case in point, I felt CHS was clique at the time, I didn't think anywhere else was as bad outside of maybe Lexington or Andover in that regard.

I been to California, Portland OR, returned to Billerica even to try and live, Pennsylvania, Florida and I can without a doubt say that Chelmsford is actually a normal town mostly. Its not too rich and not too poor and offers a better balance than many places I've actually been exposed to. Its affordable for a town with schools that good and my adult eyes don't view Chelmsford in the same light as my teenage self did. The adult side of Chelmsford is for sure a lot nicer and if you have kids, the parents actually seem easy to make friends with vs say the kid who comes new in 9th grade like I was.

But yes its actually true, Billerica is not the same quality of town. Its a nicer Billerica almost as to how Nashua is a nicer Lowell. Comparable but not quite either. I actually feel if you like better coffee, you're more suited to living in Chelmsford as Java Room has west coast style coffee and there is Einstein. Its taken Billerica a lot longer to get stuff like that.

As far as North Chelmsford, it can be sketchy but again, looks like a walk in the park now next to some other places I've seen. All in all though, I feel Chelmsford is a town that gets overlooked but is probably the best bang for the buck for what you get in MA even though the state of MA is going downhill. Chelmsford and Westford still seem like they're at top standard, so is Littleton. Billerica either stayed the same or got worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts upon achieving adulthood.
What gives you the idea this state is "going downhill," though? Baker can't do too much damage before we'll be able to vote him out so...

Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 AM

18,718 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Also don't see how MA is "going downhill."

Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn1 View Post
Its affordable for a town with schools that good and my adult eyes don't view Chelmsford in the same light as my teenage self did. The adult side of Chelmsford is for sure a lot nicer and if you have kids, the parents actually seem easy to make friends with vs say the kid who comes new in 9th grade like I was.

But yes its actually true, Billerica is not the same quality of town. Its a nicer Billerica almost as to how Nashua is a nicer Lowell. Comparable but not quite either. I actually feel if you like better coffee, you're more suited to living in Chelmsford as Java Room has west coast style coffee and there is Einstein. Its taken Billerica a lot longer to get stuff like that.

As far as North Chelmsford, it can be sketchy but again, looks like a walk in the park now next to some other places I've seen. All in all though, I feel Chelmsford is a town that gets overlooked but is probably the best bang for the buck for what you get in MA even though the state of MA is going downhill. Chelmsford and Westford still seem like they're at top standard, so is Littleton. Billerica either stayed the same or got worse.
If the schools in Chelmsford are good, it's unfortunate you moved there after middle school. That's when students learn how to use conjunctions.

Also, please tell us why you think MA is going downhill.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Also, please tell us why you think MA is going downhill.
I'd also be interested.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'd also be interested.
MA is downhill for sure if you'e in the lower class. You see all the scumbags. Go to parts of Medford near Malden, Lawrence, parts of Lowell, its very evident and Boston sucks up most of the state as the main big city and not enough money go to the others. I feel they all could be improved if Boston wasnt taking all the revenue. I'd like to see MA become a conservative state again to be honest but who knows how long thats going to happen in.. After a wave of forced depopulation maybe. Parts of MA look very much the same like the communities I mentioned but the LOW class areas seem to have stayed the same or gotten worse or just to put it simply, you dont wanna be stuck in any ghetto area in MA, they can be ugly. Not all are bad of course but its safe to say some areas have worse elements you dont wanna put yourself around and you CLEARLY see the democratic system at work in a lot of those neighborhoods. I also like towns like Georgetown and Boxford too, Middleton. Real nice. Not the top tier historic rich towns but still very good. They're more my speed.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-20-2015 at 04:28 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
I have no doubt MA puts most of its revenue in its largest city; after all, other states do similar things. But if you think MA is going downhill, take a roadtrip through NY. Lowell, Lawrence and even Springfield are thriving/growing compared to Syracuse, Utica, Buffalo and other cities Upstate.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I have no doubt MA puts most of its revenue in its largest city; after all, other states do similar things. But if you think MA is going downhill, take a roadtrip through NY. Lowell, Lawrence and even Springfield are thriving/growing compared to Syracuse, Utica, Buffalo and other cities Upstate.
Both New York state and Massachusetts are notorious for neglecting their outlying areas and satellite cities. New York only appears worse because it is much larger geographically and there is just more area to neglect. I've known plenty of fine people from upstate and western NY and it pisses me off how they are forced to help subsidize NYC's wasteful existence and get little in return. Western and central Mass people probably understand this phenomenon as well.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Both New York state and Massachusetts are notorious for neglecting their outlying areas and satellite cities. New York only appears worse because it is much larger geographically and there is just more area to neglect. I've known plenty of fine people from upstate and western NY and it pisses me off how they are forced to help subsidize NYC's wasteful existence and get little in return. Western and central Mass people probably understand this phenomenon as well.
You're so correct wow. NY gets nothing beyond NYC. Buffalo is still dumpy, many unlivable places there, Syracuse probably as well but not as bad maybe. Albany, when was the last time you heard that was up and coming? Unless you're a hipster who doesn't mind filth in the house, none of those places are a good fit probably. Only a small amount want to take that kind of rebuild challenge on. NY looks to also have made all their other cities so bad to where very few want to move into them. MA is very similar as well. Theres nice areas around all these other metros as well, but the cities often decay. Worcester if only they put more into there, Springfield. They'd look more like New Hampshire if they did same with NY too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts