Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:53 AM

63 posts, read 105,870 times

Advertisements

Back once more, this time wondering if there's any advantage to moving at a particular time of year. We're fairly flexible as to when we relocate from Cali to Mass, but our best opportunities will be in early April and mid-June of 2016. Again, we're planning on renting, at least for the first year or two. We'd love to get out of the Bay Area ASAP, but I've heard that wintery weather in Mass can linger even into April, and I imagine more rentals will be available in the Summer than the Spring (especially if we end up in Arlington). On the other hand, rental prices might be lower in April, despite the reduced inventory.

The final decision will probably depend on what rental options we find, but what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 PM

974 posts, read 1,900,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhereUSA View Post
imagine more rentals will be available in the Summer than the Spring (especially if we end up in Arlington).
Many rentals are tied closely to the school year. Closer to and past graduation, more people breaking leases, moving back home, faculty moving, etc.

Quote:
On the other hand, rental prices might be lower in April, despite the reduced inventory.
Hah hah hah hah -- lower rents! Hah! Needed a good laugh.

Quote:
The final decision will probably depend on what rental options we find, but what would you recommend?
Check out availability now—are you seeing a lot you like and in your price range? Then take your time.

If you're not seeing a wide selection, then plan to jump when you find your apartment.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
In the immediate Boston metro area, more than 70% of leases turn over on September 1. Many people lock down these September 1 apartments months in advance because of the demand. In the "off" season, there's not as much demand but there's also not a huge selection either. I don't know that it makes a big difference between April or June move-ins.

The only time you might have slightly reduced rent due to timing is in the dead of winter - and even then I wouldn't bet on it!

Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
I'd say April so you have decent (ie not below freezing) weather for a solid 6 months. Yes it could snow in April but it's unlikely.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,708 times
There are rentals available both in April or June that are not student related. Spring/summer are good times to move here.

But, it really depends on what you want to find, and where. I would start looking in Feb./March, many apartments posted then, will have availability two months in advance, sometimes even three. If you see something really good be ready on the spot with your checkbook and references. Have a proof of employment just in case, and make sure your credit is excellent. Most landlords will do background check. First, last, and security are often required to seal the deal. Avoid Re agent fees unless you are really in desperate situation, needing something right away, or looking for something completely out of ordinary. Ideally you should be here to be able to rent your place.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Check out availability now—are you seeing a lot you like and in your price range? Then take your time.

If you're not seeing a wide selection, then plan to jump when you find your apartment.
Yeah, we've been looking and we've seen a moderate selection in our price range that fits our preferences. There are enough that I feel confident we'll have some options when we're ready to actually lease, although it will certainly help us to be flexible on the timing.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
There are rentals available both in April or June that are not student related. Spring/summer are good times to move here.

But, it really depends on what you want to find, and where. I would start looking in Feb./March, many apartments posted then, will have availability two months in advance, sometimes even three. If you see something really good be ready on the spot with your checkbook and references. Have a proof of employment just in case, and make sure your credit is excellent. Most landlords will do background check. First, last, and security are often required to seal the deal. Avoid Re agent fees unless you are really in desperate situation, needing something right away, or looking for something completely out of ordinary. Ideally you should be here to be able to rent your place.

Good luck.
This is all great, thanks! We're in a pretty good situation as regards credit and rental history, etc, so my only concern is the fact that we probably won't physically BE there yet, so we'd need to make agreements via phone and email. Are most landlords willing to work with that if you check out in every other way? We have a friend local who may be able to represent us but his work schedule might not allow him to go running all over the area at a moment's notice.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Quote:
This is all great, thanks! We're in a pretty good situation as regards credit and rental history, etc, so my only concern is the fact that we probably won't physically BE there yet, so we'd need to make agreements via phone and email. Are most landlords willing to work with that if you check out in every other way? We have a friend local who may be able to represent us but his work schedule might not allow him to go running all over the area at a moment's notice.
Renting an apartment without seeing it first happens but I would consider it an option of last resort. If there's any possible way you can make a trip out here to apartment hunt it will help immensely.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:56 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,708 times
At least one of you should come for a week and see where it goes. LL will like to be able to see at least one of you, and making that effort is probably to your advantage, all being said and done. If you will not be here at all, then reputable RE agent might be smart way to go. You will have lot more credibility if you are planing to be no show during the process.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Renting an apartment without seeing it first happens but I would consider it an option of last resort. If there's any possible way you can make a trip out here to apartment hunt it will help immensely.
Might see about staying with our friend in Cambridge for a few weeks, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts