Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:44 PM

404 posts, read 526,379 times

Advertisements

Groton is bad for us cuz:
Isolation
No walkability/limited sidewalks
Too much woods & ticks
You hafta leave town for everything & drive 20 mins
Ppl are too private

On the flip side we loved marblehead but moved out cuz commute.

Does north andover share the isolation + car centric lifestyle? It's appealing cuz still need decent yard for kids.
Andover fits our bill but nothing on right now good fit.

Lastly how are n.andover schools. Is Andover clearly better?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 01:01 PM

513 posts, read 646,388 times
I drive through North Andover every day and have friends who are very happy with the schools. Parts are more rural, so you will definitely want to be in the more developed areas.
If you live in the "old" part of town, you will have stuff to walk to. You also won't have to drive 20 minutes for everything as 114 has grocery stores and restaurants.
The few people I know that live there all lived in sub-divisions that had parties all the time. I am not certain if that is common or not, it just sticks out in my head because that is so rare in MA.
Overall, I think it is a nice town. Not as densely populated as Marblehead, but not as rural as Groton. It may work for you.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:21 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
Groton and North Andover are quite different. North Andover is a more ideal commuter town (to Boston) than Groton. I wouldn't call it isolated: Lawrence and Andover are next door neighbors. Methuen, Tewksbury and Lowell are a quick shot down I-495. Groton on the over hand... .

As far as comparing Andover to North Andover, There is the elitist, ahem, traditional argument of Andover being more sought after, affluent, better schools, and such. North Andover was long considered less ritzy but nowadays it's really a matter of preference as the gap has seemingly been closing. I like consider it more a moot point to compare either one. However there will be those who will swear by Andover being better simply due to "tradition." Unless you're not a snob—eh, simply "must" have an Andover address, you can raise your children in good schools, in North Andover, and still manage to live happily ever after.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:35 PM

15,951 posts, read 7,012,752 times
North Andover is more beautiful than Andover, because it IS more rural with more hills and large acres. I think Andover schools are better but check it out. North Andover has many affluent people living in mansions. you do get more for your money for house.

Andover has a nice walkable downtown. The library is beautiful. The grounds of Phillips Academy is beautiful and it has many amenities town people can enjoy such as the Andover Gallery, skating rink, and lectures, theater, music. the shops downtown are not extraordinary but interesting. there is a consignment shop, designer goods, a thrift shop, Starbucks, gelato place, bookstore and more than a couple of nice restaurants. it has a new youth center, a huge YMCA, and an active senior center. there are two supermarkets in town, one is a wholefoods.

yes, i think Andover is a more livable town if you don't like the rural life.
I don't know what groton is like.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
traffic_lover: I think you'd like Andover more based on reading all your posts this past year. You *might* like North Andover, but do you really want to take that chance again after what happened with your move to Groton? I don't think Andover residents have any more of an elitist attitude than Marblehead residents do and it's more contained to that area. If you mention that you're from Andover to anyone in Metrowest or the South Shore they wouldn't think anything of it. Spend some time in both towns; I mean serious time. This move isn't something you should do based on feedback from a forum. We were already wrong once before. As a family spend a few weekends visiting their shops and restaurants on the weekends. Your wife can also visit all the playgrounds during the week and talk to the other SAHMs to get a feel for the people in town. Do test commutes to and from work from both areas to see if it's something you can handle.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Groton and North Andover are quite different. North Andover is a more ideal commuter town (to Boston) than Groton. I wouldn't call it isolated: Lawrence and Andover are next door neighbors. Methuen, Tewksbury and Lowell are a quick shot down I-495. Groton on the over hand... .

As far as comparing Andover to North Andover, There is the elitist, ahem, traditional argument of Andover being more sought after, affluent, better schools, and such. North Andover was long considered less ritzy but nowadays it's really a matter of preference as the gap has seemingly been closing. I like consider it more a moot point to compare either one. However there will be those who will swear by Andover being better simply due to "tradition." Unless you're not a snob—eh, simply "must" have an Andover address, you can raise your children in good schools, in North Andover, and still manage to live happily ever after.
Anytime you hear someone say they live in the Andovers, you can be sure they live in North Andover.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
I have a feeling you will find both Andover and North Andover too rusticated and spread out, if you absolutely can't stand Groton. Like Groton, the centerpiece of Andover is a private school. By the way, how did that commute turn out to Chelmsford?

If I were you I'd look at the less exurban higher density suburbs of Chelmsford, Wakefield and Burlington and maybe Wilmington.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:35 AM

550 posts, read 680,070 times
Yes North Andover is definitely more rural than Andover. There is a section in town called out country. We have great hills and farms. In Andover you have both 93 and 495 and in North Andover just 495. Andover's downtown area is far more nicer than North Andover. If you are looking at buying a home here both The Franklin School and Kittredge are level 1 elementary schools. Most people desire those 2 schools. You will also find great restaurants on Osgood St Rt.125 North Andover. Overall it's a great family friendly town with good schools

Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,830 times
No brainier. After living happily in Marblehead, you need to buy walkable section of Andover near town center. Everything else will be wasteful "optimizing" on a house/commute while potentially making your wife miserable again. Happy wife, happy life. That can not be emphasized enough.

BTW, Reading would offer you nice walkable community, and excellent commute to multiple points if your job ever changes. Prices are jumping there too, with good location, good tax base, good schools.

Take your family on a daily trips to both. Visit playgrounds, get the vibe, and talk to other parents who live there. This forum can not beat your own legwork and your own impressions.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM

229 posts, read 384,582 times
You're working in Chelmsford? What's your budget? Why not just buy in Westford or Acton? Those are your best bet for a short commute, affordable, and great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts