Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
People are no longer "stuck" buying their electricity from a single provider. We can now buy our power from anyone willing to sell it to us.

The problem is that very few people see solar panels as a "plus" so for most they don't add much value to the home if any. So, why would someone want to be stuck paying for something they feel has no/little value and that they never wanted in the first place?
I can understand that if it's a system that is leased or money is owed on it. My system is paid for and saves about $1000/yr on the electricity bill and is a superb and unobtrusive installation. In my case my daughter and her husband want to buy my house and are thrilled that it has a solar array. I know at least where I live that 'green energy' is considered highly desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:23 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
People are no longer "stuck" buying their electricity from a single provider. We can now buy our power from anyone willing to sell it to us.

The problem is that very few people see solar panels as a "plus" so for most they don't add much value to the home if any. So, why would someone want to be stuck paying for something they feel has no/little value and that they never wanted in the first place?
But it all comes through the same pipe and you have to pay whoever owns the pipe. You can't get away from that.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I can understand that if it's a system that is leased or money is owed on it. My system is paid for and saves about $1000/yr on the electricity bill and is a superb and unobtrusive installation. In my case my daughter and her husband want to buy my house and are thrilled that it has a solar array. I know at least where I live that 'green energy' is considered highly desirable.
You live in a very different place. I'm nother saying though that there isn't anyone in the state of Massachusetts that would see panels as a plus. However, most people are not seeking them out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But it all comes through the same pipe and you have to pay whoever owns the pipe. You can't get away from that.
You seem to be missing the point.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,811,050 times
You also should consider the weight of the panels.
After all the snow on my roof last winter the last thing I need is more weight!
Huriccanes and tornadoes should also be another concern.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
You also should consider the weight of the panels.
After all the snow on my roof last winter the last thing I need is more weight!
Huriccanes and tornadoes should also be another concern.
So true. However I was told by a solar panel salesman that the panels will help melt the snow- no idea if it would melt the 4+ ft that we had on the roof last winter.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:21 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I know at least where I live that 'green energy' is considered highly desirable.

Not so much here...in a place where many homes still use home heating oil.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
I think if you are tied into a lease like Solar City it would be more of a detraction, but if you are purchasing, it will be less of a hassle.

Masshawk - we were also concerned about missing out on the latest and greatest with a 20+ year investment but our reasoning was:
- the tech we are purchasing right now is more than sufficient for covering our needs
- the roof needed to be replaced anyway
- even with the liberal estimate of production loss over time (20 years from now), coverage will be sufficient with today's tech
- the best tech out there (NASA-level) would probably not be affordable any time soon
- the tech has been around for 40 years
- it's hard to predict the investment by the Federal and State government so we want to take advantage of the incentives

There isn't much maintenance or upkeep, unless you notice a drop in production and you want to get them cleaned. You will probably have to replace the inverters after 10 or so years. The houses in my neighborhood with panels had very little snow on their roofs. The panel is warm so the snow is going to melt and come off. Your roof structure gets super reinforced so no concern there.

The installs are hot in Waltham right now -- don't know why?

Our friends in more rural areas preferred houses with solar panels to help cut into the bills for their 3500sq ft houses.

I think solar panels are beautiful but I am a nerd!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM

317 posts, read 431,362 times
As others have pointed out, I think it makes a big difference whether the panels are leased, or purchased (either outright or through a financing program).

I believe in some leases, you may be required to pay to move them to a new home, essentially taking them with you. If I was buying a house and by default would inherit the lease to pay for them, or knew they had to be removed and wonder what holes this would leave behind, it would be a major turnoff.

However, we did look at a house that had them through a financing plan, and as part of the sale the buyer would get them, fully paid. This was a huge benefit. No debt on the panels, you owned them outright, and instead of having an electric bill you'd actually receive a check each quarter. This was a major plus in our opinion - even if they were towards the end of their life (which I don't think they were), it was a big plus knowing we would reduce costs (and actually receive revenue) on what would typically be a monthly expense for electricity.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
Thanks very much, everyone. It does sound like purchase is the way to go. Even if we found a buyer who was willing to take on payments, it sounds like they'd have to qualify for the lease and that both shrinks the pool of potential buyers and adds another layer of paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I think if you are tied into a lease like Solar City it would be more of a detraction, but if you are purchasing, it will be less of a hassle.

Masshawk - we were also concerned about missing out on the latest and greatest with a 20+ year investment but our reasoning was:
- the tech we are purchasing right now is more than sufficient for covering our needs
- the roof needed to be replaced anyway
- even with the liberal estimate of production loss over time (20 years from now), coverage will be sufficient with today's tech
- the best tech out there (NASA-level) would probably not be affordable any time soon
- the tech has been around for 40 years
- it's hard to predict the investment by the Federal and State government so we want to take advantage of the incentives

There isn't much maintenance or upkeep, unless you notice a drop in production and you want to get them cleaned. You will probably have to replace the inverters after 10 or so years. The houses in my neighborhood with panels had very little snow on their roofs. The panel is warm so the snow is going to melt and come off. Your roof structure gets super reinforced so no concern there.

The installs are hot in Waltham right now -- don't know why?

Our friends in more rural areas preferred houses with solar panels to help cut into the bills for their 3500sq ft houses.

I think solar panels are beautiful but I am a nerd!
This is very helpful, thanks. It sounds like you decided to get solar panels? Through which company, are you happy with them, and what's been your experience so far? There was actually a formal push in Waltham in 2013, the "Solar Challenge" or some such. The 30% federal tax credit expires in 2016 so that might explain another wave now. I'm sort of surprised they target Waltham though. Seems to have a lower population of eco-enthusiastic people willing (and able) to pay more up front for sustainable energy. Apparently our rate of recycling is abysmal even though they couldn't possibly make it any more convenient.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
As others have pointed out, I think it makes a big difference whether the panels are leased, or purchased (either outright or through a financing program).

I believe in some leases, you may be required to pay to move them to a new home, essentially taking them with you. If I was buying a house and by default would inherit the lease to pay for them, or knew they had to be removed and wonder what holes this would leave behind, it would be a major turnoff.

However, we did look at a house that had them through a financing plan, and as part of the sale the buyer would get them, fully paid. This was a huge benefit. No debt on the panels, you owned them outright, and instead of having an electric bill you'd actually receive a check each quarter. This was a major plus in our opinion - even if they were towards the end of their life (which I don't think they were), it was a big plus knowing we would reduce costs (and actually receive revenue) on what would typically be a monthly expense for electricity.
Additionally, with Mitsu's newer heat pumps being incredibly efficient, it is possible to heat/cool a small home at nearly break even if you have an array of panels. Granted, one would still want a secondary source of heat for single digit cold snaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: