Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

One a couple of notes:

I live in Burlington and the town met it's 10% threshold years ago. But the town planning board works with developers who propose projects to include that 10% component in order to maintain the number. Although developers may not be enthusiastic about a friendly 40B proposition, they still go for it because 90% is still better than 0%.

Keep in mind that 40B does not mean Section 8 or public housing. It means affordable by someone earning 80% of the median income in the area. Typically, they earn under $50,000. If a town does not have 10% of it's housing stock deemed affordable, a developer can bypass local zoning as long as the project has a 10% affordability component. Usually the units are sold by lottery and many are reserved for town employees or town residents. As for the doom and gloom of 40B noted by an earlier poster, my understanding is that means the state keeps a list of affordable inventory. Any one can apply for that inventory and try to meet the requirements for those units.

As for Lexington, my understanding is that the pressure cooker atmosphere at the high school often disappoints many parents and kids. The heavy focus on academics and getting into college often works against them. There are so many similar kids at Lexington High that the best colleges get their pick. I know of one top 10 student at LHS that was wait listed by every prestigious university he applied to. Instead he is at UMass and is extremely happy. Sometimes a top kid like that is better off being at a second tier high school where he can really shine. I know of at least 5 Lexington families that have sent their kids to private schools to avoid the LHS atmosphere.

Keep in mind that many of the towns you are looking at charge fees for busses, band, sports, and other activities. It sounds like with your financial position it won't be an issue but some folks are surprised by that especially with the high taxes you will pay.

BTW, there's a prison in Concord if that sways you in any way. AFAIK, nothing happens there.

Last edited by robr2; 10-28-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 05:59 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Until a town reaches that 10% threshold, however, a developer can put forth all sorts of different proposals. Many towns have proactively worked WITH developers to put in the kind of housing that is mutually beneficial. Concord, Lexington, Danvers, Lynnfield, have all met the requirements through smart development.
My understanding is that after the new apartment building goes up in the office park (it's been green lighted by the town) that Needham will have met the threshold as well. The town is still fighting the development on Greendale Ave though.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That is absolutely correct. Only a portion of the rental units typically are permitted for the 40B component, however.

Until a town reaches that 10% threshold, however, a developer can put forth all sorts of different proposals. Many towns have proactively worked WITH developers to put in the kind of housing that is mutually beneficial. Concord, Lexington, Danvers, Lynnfield, have all met the requirements through smart development.
In an owner-occupied 40b development, only the portion of affordable units count towards the 10% goal. However, in a rental 40b development, 100% of the rental units count towards the 10% goal. For example in a 200-unit 40b apartment complex, usually 50 units will be affordable and 150 are market rate, but all 200 units count as affordable under the state's 40b law.

Concord didn't meet its requirement through smart development. They met the requirement by allowing Concord Mews, a 350-unit 40b apartment complex, to be built in the corner of town with no ingress/egress from Concord. You have to drive in from either Sudbury, Maynard or Acton depending on which way you're coming from. It's literally inaccessible from Concord. The developer ended up having to pay millions in mitgation payments to the bordering towns for all the traffic issues caused by the development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There are plenty of 40B developments that are rentals. My experience is the 40B developments that involve ownership tend to do well. I've found the 40B developments that are rentals quickly spiral into a glorified version of the projects once the supply of market rate tenants dries up and low income tenants become the majority.

To the OP- I wouldn't lose any sleep over it because your budget probably ensures you will not be located near a hypothetical future 40B development.
Not necessarily. 40B isn't the same as Section 8. You need to have a steady job to qualify for 40B rental unit; you're basically middle class. 40B tenants are not the same as the type of people you find in the projects who collect welfare. Also, no one is immune to living near a future 40B development regardless of their housing budget. The proposed 40B development in Sudbury town center project borders one of the most expensive subdivisions in town. Not quite $2 million since it's Sudbury, but probably equivalent to a subdivision in Lexington where houses go for $2-3 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
One a couple of notes:

I live in Burlington and the town met it's 10% threshold years ago. But the town planning board works with developers who propose projects to include that 10% component in order to maintain the number. Although developers may not be enthusiastic about a friendly 40B proposition, they still go for it because 90% is still better than 0%.

Keep in mind that 40B does not mean Section 8 or public housing. It means affordable by someone earning 80% of the median income in the area. Typically, they earn under $50,000. If a town does not have 10% of it's housing stock deemed affordable, a developer can bypass local zoning as long as the project has a 10% affordability component. Usually the units are sold by lottery and many are reserved for town employees or town residents. As for the doom and gloom of 40B noted by an earlier poster, my understanding is that means the state keeps a list of affordable inventory. Any one can apply for that inventory and try to meet the requirements for those units.

As for Lexington, my understanding is that the pressure cooker atmosphere at the high school often disappoints many parents and kids. The heavy focus on academics and getting into college often works against them. There are so many similar kids at Lexington High that the best colleges get their pick. I know of one top 10 student at LHS that was wait listed by every prestigious university he applied to. Instead he is at UMass and is extremely happy. Sometimes a top kid like that is better off being at a second tier high school where he can really shine. I know of at least 5 Lexington families that have sent their kids to private schools to avoid the LHS atmosphere.

Keep in mind that many of the towns you are looking at charge fees for busses, band, sports, and other activities. It sounds like with your financial position it won't be an issue but some folks are surprised by that especially with the high taxes you will pay.

BTW, there's a prison in Concord if that sways you in any way. AFAIK, nothing happens there.
This is very smart for a town like Burlington that's still growing in population because it's easy to slip below the 10% if you keep building market rate units without any affordable units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
My understanding is that after the new apartment building goes up in the office park (it's been green lighted by the town) that Needham will have met the threshold as well. The town is still fighting the development on Greendale Ave though.
Sudbury has 2 of these 40b apartments under proposal too. One is a 250 units and the other is 350 units. With only 5,000 housing units in town, this will easily get us above the 10% threshold because we're already at 5%. I'm all for the new development on Rt-20 at the former Raytheon site, but I think the one proposed in our historic town center will ruin the character of the town. The town center is already choked during rush hour and cannot handle an additional 400 cars.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sudbury has 2 of these 40b apartments under proposal too. One is a 250 units and the other is 350 units. With only 5,000 housing units in town, this will easily get us above the 10% threshold because we're already at 5%. I'm all for the new development on Rt-20 at the former Raytheon site, but I think the one proposed in our historic town center will ruin the character of the town. The town center is already choked during rush hour and cannot handle an additional 400 cars.
Over the last few years there's been more condo development in town and a lot of those developments have taken advantage of 40B to get around zoning issues. So, we've seen a number of units created that way. Not too long ago they put up Charles River Landing, a large apartment complex, which I'm sure has 40B units and that helped as well.

Now Needham has the two other apartment complexes looking for approval. The one in the office park was approved very quickly because really who cares what happens in the office park. It's on the other side of 128, there are new ramps being added to the highway to alleviate traffic, and most people think that area is Newton and not Needham anyway. The complex on Greendale was green lighted for 180 units by the town which is something like 1/2 of what the developer wanted. The town is fighting that one tooth and nail because it's location would cause a lot of traffic.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
Welcome to MA. The great thing about our State is we have awesome schools including the ones you mentioned. I believe you hit the top 10 with Lexington at the top...for now

Concord and Carlisle are combined into a regional school.
Concord is pretty pricey and close to Train and easier commute for Boston. There is a west concord and Concord side and both have shops & restaurants. Carlisle a little more country and affordable. Lots of big horse farms.
Lexington is VERY pricey...but great center of town.

I agree with 495 Neighbor about Westford, center is very quaint and town is active in an upscale counrty way. Westford Academy is pretty much a private school with out the bill. They also have a huge lake for water sports.

Similar to Westford is Harvard next door.... Schools consistently place top on the list. It is also like being private. With a Charter school choice as well.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2015 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: no soliciting - please see the Terms of Service for instructions for realtors

Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
Both Lexington and Winchester have the Whole Foods, Starbucks, (some) sidewalks, suburban vibe. Lincoln, Carlisle, Concord tend more towards rural in comparison. With some unique exceptions you won't find executive style subdivisions around here at all.

Winchester may offer the smaller high school you're looking for while still in an excellent commuting location. You won't have as many choices in the $2 million range as you would in Lexington, but it's still plenty upscale, in a Leave it to Beaver way. Something has to give, and that most likely is acreage.

If this matters to you at all, I would categorize Lexington as more left-leaning and Winchester as more right-leaning.

Last edited by Ninotchka P; 10-29-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 04:03 PM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ak View Post
@gf2020 - thank you! Although I am finding there is not to our liking in our criteria seach in Winchester?

How does the H.S. in Winchester compare to say Concord/Carlisle in reputation and what all of you may know in the area?

Thank you -
Jennifer
Winchester High School is top notch - on par with the other towns you mentioned - and in brand new building - I think they just opened it this year.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 98,030 times
Thank you to all for the info - every bit is helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There are plenty of 40B developments that are rentals. My experience is the 40B developments that involve ownership tend to do well. I've found the 40B developments that are rentals quickly spiral into a glorified version of the projects once the supply of market rate tenants dries up and low income tenants become the majority.

To the OP- I wouldn't lose any sleep over it because your budget probably ensures you will not be located near a hypothetical future 40B development.

I think you are mixing up general affordable housing and 40b housing. 40b housing forbids owners from becoming investors or selling to investors. It always has to be sold to someone who will be living there. When these units become available, there is usually a town lottery of all the prospective buyers who have filled out an application, reviewed and approved by the town. There are strict guidelines with income level scaled to the median income level of the town and maximum allowable sales price scaled to current market value of comparable properties.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Concord didn't meet its requirement through smart development. They met the requirement by allowing Concord Mews, a 350-unit 40b apartment complex, to be built in the corner of town with no ingress/egress from Concord. You have to drive in from either Sudbury, Maynard or Acton depending on which way you're coming from. It's literally inaccessible from Concord. The developer ended up having to pay millions in mitgation payments to the bordering towns for all the traffic issues caused by the development.
Parsec, are all the units affordable? I see 1 bedrooms at Concord Mews advertised above $2,000 and 3 bedrooms for over $4,000, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts