Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,496 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I need some advice that you might be able to help me out with. I am just moving down to Stoughton and just bought a car in NH in August. I called the RMV and they told me that they have to charge me the sales tax of 6.25%. There is absolutely no way I am going to be able to pay close to 1000$ to have my registration transferred and then another 300$+ for licenses etc. Is there anything I can do? And if not, what exactly happens if I can't pay for this and I get pulled over etc.? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,708,117 times
What happens is in theory you can get a ticket for not registering your car in MA and not having an MA license. What should concern you more is the potential that your insurance company could deny your claim if you're illegally registered/licensed. The $1,300 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you could be on the hook for if you're in an accident and your insurer refuses to pay.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:15 PM

10,046 posts, read 15,715,337 times
You may get away with it for a few months but eventually you will have to make the transfer. Start saving the money for it now.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
What happens is in theory you can get a ticket for not registering your car in MA and not having an MA license. What should concern you more is the potential that your insurance company could deny your claim if you're illegally registered/licensed. The $1,300 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you could be on the hook for if you're in an accident and your insurer refuses to pay.
I've thought about this as well and I hope it doesn't come down to this, but I am going to transfer my license first and start working my way through to getting the car registered.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:43 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,138,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOJ2517 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice that you might be able to help me out with. I am just moving down to Stoughton and just bought a car in NH in August. I called the RMV and they told me that they have to charge me the sales tax of 6.25%. There is absolutely no way I am going to be able to pay close to 1000$ to have my registration transferred and then another 300$+ for licenses etc. Is there anything I can do? And if not, what exactly happens if I can't pay for this and I get pulled over etc.? Thanks in advance!
You don't have to pay sales tax in MA if:
(i) you were a resident of NH when you bought and registered the car in NH; and
(ii) at least six months have elapsed since you bought and registered the car.

Sounds like you would be in the clear in January or so.

Check it out: https://www.massrmv.com/rmv/regs/reg4.htm

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts