Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

Specifically the area between Rte 6 and Rte 28, and East of W. Yarmouth Rd, West of Rte 134?

Is it nice, just ok, or not good? Is it best to stay above 6 or 6A? (For residential RE, not a vacation property).

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 05:03 AM

Should I assume from the # of views and 0 responses that it is not so great an area?

Old 01-21-2016, 05:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Yarmouth Port is the nicest area of Yarmouth, imho. Stay closer to 6A.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
If you are looking for a year round home, I'd suggest getting at least a digital subscription to a local paper and then spending time here. Drive through your target towns and neighborhoods at different times of day or night. Local PD are also helpful. I personally would not live in Yarmouth year round but for the summer, if you are looking to be close to tourist attractions, it works. I agree with Casey on Yarmouth Port but you will pay more for a property than you would in areas between 6 and 28. A good rule of thumb is if it's (relatively) cheap, it's for good reason. I think that's pretty much all of MA real estate.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
I agree Yarmouth Port is nicest if you're looking for a year round home. The area you are describing is actually both South Yarmouth and West Dennis. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a home in that area. It's very quiet, yet most of the homes there are year rounders. The area WEST of West Yarmouth Road is West Yarmouth. Some of the areas along 28 closer to Hyannis can be a little "hit or miss", but even that area has improved in recent years.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Beachcomber, why would you not live FT in Yarmouth? Did you mean just Yamouth/W. Yarmouth or including Yarmouth Port?

Is it because you feel it is too small?

We were looking for something in between the "people" hospital in Hyannis and the 24hr Vet in South Dennis.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Beachcomber, why would you not live FT in Yarmouth? Dennis.

Because both Dennis and Yarmouth are very different places in the off season than they are during the tourist season.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/5-investiga...icing/33005758

Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Because both Dennis and Yarmouth are very different places in the off season than they are during the tourist season.

5 Investigates: War on heroin forgoes traditional policing | Local News - WCVB Home
Oddly enough, the story focused on the problem in Yarmouth. The adjacent link shows the updated list of the 40 towns with the highest number of opioid deaths per capita released on Thursday. Yarmouth didn't make the list but Dennis was at #4!

OP: Don't let this become a deterrent of you moving to the area. Unfortunately, the problem has made a comeback in the entire northeast U.S. during the last few years.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Oddly enough, the story focused on the problem in Yarmouth. The adjacent link shows the updated list of the 40 towns with the highest number of opioid deaths per capita released on Thursday. Yarmouth didn't make the list but Dennis was at #4!

OP: Don't let this become a deterrent of you moving to the area. Unfortunately, the problem has made a comeback in the entire northeast U.S. during the last few years.
The story focused on Yarmouth for a reason.

https://www.capecodtoday.com/article...t-69-days-year

That list under the link I posted to the Channel 5 story is DEATHS per capita. Fortunately, Yarmouth police and fire have been very proactive in their efforts to treat overdose victims quickly and to encourage and support recovery as evidenced in that News 5 story.

Cape Cod Teen, Parents Ran Heroin Ring: Police | Patch

The motels and relatively cheap housing accommodations in that area change the dynamic dramatically during the off season. It's not just the drugs (which are a problem all over the area) but the crime and compromised quality of life that comes with the drug culture.

Macalan, I agree with the Newtexan, don't let ME deter you from the area. I was only giving you my opinion based on what I know and what I would want for me and my family. I've lived places other people wouldn't but you asked for a reason why and I gave it.

I suggest going back to my first post, take those steps and make your own decision.

Good luck!

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 01-23-2016 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
West Yarmouth is fine. Rt 28 is a major road that gets very busy in the Summer due to the many businesses and tourist spots that run along it but you can get off the main road and onto the side streets and find some nice properties there.
Yarmouth port is a more desirable area due to the more rural feel of Rt 6a running through it VS the commercial vibe of Rt28. If you go North of Rt6a that also carries a premium due to being closer to beaches.

It is best to gain an education in any real estate market and the Cape has many quirks so go online to zillow and other sites to get an idea of what you can get for your money on Cape Cod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts