Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,725,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
A CPA can absolutely save you money after the end of the calendar year. There are absolutely things you can do to lower your taxes. Legal things, I might add.

Don't track expenses??? Please read the irs publications regarding record-keeping. Seriously.
There are limits and certain things are only deductible if they exceed a certain percentage of your AGI. The question is can a CPA "save" you more money than they are charging you to do the return? For most people the answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 7,364,513 times
Quote:
Fun fact: Every year, TurboTax hires CPAs and Enrolled Agents. Know why? To help taxpayers do their own taxes. Funny, isn't it? The industry giant that is currently running commercials on how simple it is to do taxes actually has to hire credentialed tax professionals to, you know, help people do their own taxes.

The bottom line is that most taxpayers have absolutely no idea what they don't know. That being said, choosing a tax preparer is a big deal. But that's whole other post.
Often too many people with complicated returns try to use turbotax and they really should be using a paid preparer. Hence Intuit provides professionals behind the scenes to help those folks.

Once I started a business, I've started using a CPA.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,993,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There are limits and certain things are only deductible if they exceed a certain percentage of your AGI. The question is can a CPA "save" you more money than they are charging you to do the return? For most people the answer is no.
Not true. I can think of one off the top of my head that has nothing to do with a percentage of AGI.

I respectfully disagree. It's about so much more than cost of self-preparation vs fee for preparation. A good CPA sees beyond that moment in time when you're calculating taxes. Like I said, the overwhelming majority of taxpayers have no idea what they don't know.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,865,185 times
Quote:
Not true. I can think of one off the top of my head that has nothing to do with a percentage of AGI.

I respectfully disagree. It's about so much more than cost of self-preparation vs fee for preparation. A good CPA sees beyond that moment in time when you're calculating taxes. Like I said, the overwhelming majority of taxpayers have no idea what they don't know.
You are either a CPA or have been brainwashed by a smooth-talking CPA. Can you give an example of a deduction that a CPA will claim for an average homeowner that Turbotax doesn't take into consideration? We are talking about deductions that will not appear in the Turbotax interview and/or are too complicated to calculate in the program. I'm a CPA and I disagree that a typical taxpayer will benefit from using a professional tax preparer for their taxes.

However, a high net worth individual who has a complicated investment portfolio will benefit from using a CPA/CFP (not just any CPA). There are absolutely ways to allocate your portfolio in a tax-efficient way, e.g. IRA re-characterizations, allocating taxable brokerage investments within certain equity classes and keeping them out of certain classes, etc.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 643,251 times
Quote:

I, too, would like to hear which deduction(s) I could be taking that don't have an AGI threshold. If you don't own a business, have any non-traditional sources of income, or have any other quirky issues (e.g., you live and work in multiple different states during the course of a tax year), I'm not sure what kind of savings a CPA could legally offer. Instead of winking and telling us we have no idea what we don't know, why not share just one example?

Can I claim my dog as a depreciating asset? Do I get to deduct the cost of Netflix as a necessary business expense, because it keeps my kids occupied while I try to work? I'm all ears...

Old 01-28-2016, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 41,158 times
I didn't say not to track expenses. All I meant was because of all the phase outs and other considerations, once you get the big deductions out of the way, you are only talking about saving few tens of dollars. So, if you have proper documentation, go ahead and claim everything. If not, just move on noting that you are talking about just saving a few extra dollars. More often than not CPA will cost more than the savings.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 41,158 times
Ofcourse, if you are using a CPA as a financial advisor to plan for taxes in the current and future years, that is something totally different and may be worth it depending on your situation. It's just that I see little value in hiring a CPA to do taxes after the tax year has passed.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM

875 posts, read 673,163 times
For the majority of salaried people that have standard income and deductions, a CPA will not find any pot of gold in your tax filings.

However, if someone is uncomfortable with using the various software packages then that is perhaps the value add of a CPA and that may be worth the few hundred to that person.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:00 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,445,696 times
Just owning a home doesn't make your taxes complicated but CPA's (minus the scumbag types that DelightfulNYC speaks of) always have more tricks up their sleeve. When I was self employed H&R Block Business had me owing $12k one year, I went to a CPA spent $700 for him to go over everything and only owed $1200. MANY small things got overlooked and some things that they did credit didn't get the math done right on them. I sat down with the CPA himself and went over everything, many questions back and forth. The other situation sounds like a tax preparers office that happens to be run by a CPA.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,174,919 times
Here is a secret. My friend is a very experienced tax attorney and CPA. Naturally, his friends and family go to him to get returns done (for free!). Guess what? He uses TurboTax to prepare those returns. lol

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts